Read temperature of the Intel 750 SSD

Stefan1024

I'd like to read out the temperature of the Intel 750 SSD since it might be starving for air in my current set-up.

According to the datasheet it does support the feature:

post-216771-0-86779600-1442127315.png

But sadly I can't read out the data from the SSD whether with the Intel Solid-State Toolbox nor with Aida64 Extreme. HWMonitor is also unable to show the register value or the temperature directly.

Does anyone have an idea what to try next?

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

laser thermometer?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

depending on your software most current intel drives have 2 temperature sensors built in (I run a 730k) It's just a question of accessing them. I run way to much corsair hardware, so corsairlink for me. I'm sure someone can suggest something to poll temp data without resorting to that bestial manchild of a bug ridden mother of satan.

laser thermometer?

I will check my build with a thermal image camera soon, but the drive is made of polished aluminium so I will only read the temperature of the nearby object reflected by the surface :(

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

depending on your software most current intel drives have 2 temperature sensors built in (I run a 730k) It's just a question of accessing them. I run way to much corsair hardware, so corsairlink for me. I'm sure someone can suggest something to poll temp data without resorting to that bestial manchild of a bug ridden mother of satan.

Thats's what I thought the Intel SSD toolbox is for, but it doeas not show the value.

Thats's what I thought the Intel SSD toolbox is for, but it doeas not show the value.

intel ssd toolbox is more about checking health of the drive. I think pcper did a post as part of their destruction testing a while back.

intel ssd toolbox is more about checking health of the drive. I think pcper did a post as part of their destruction testing a while back.

That's true, but there is no other software tool from Intel as far as I know...

This beat needs up to 24 watts and has a big heat sink....

Unless your case is reaching a temp of over 100c (which is the point where plastic starts to melt).. you don't even need to have a second thought about it

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Unless your case is reaching a temp of over 100c.. you don't even need to have a second thought about it

There is a big 50-60°C hot surface in 2 cm distance. Also flash chips are much more threatened by high temperatures than a GPU for example.

EDIT: Also there is no airflow at all. I know the SSD is not bursting into flames, but I simply like to validate the operating condition is good for long time usage.

There is a big 50-60°C hot surface in 2 cm distance. Also flash chips are much more threatened by high temperatures than a GPU for example.

I've been spending a lot of time at a drive recovery company since I deal with a lot of dead drives in my day job and one of the questions I asked early on was about SSD's and heat and they said from internal tests, unless you're getting it close to the point where plastic melts @ 100c and the soldering melts @ 190c you have nothing to worry about.

Edit: My conversion was off, it's not 100c it's going to be 130c. That's about 266f which is the point where HDPE plastic starts to get tacky/melty 

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

and just to highlight an above comment. I run a samsung xp941 in my system, and I suspect one of the motherboard temp sensors is right under the M.2 drive, while I suspect it's a faulty sensor the reading regularly goes above 100 degrees Celsius.....Now it's known to be a hot running drive, but if it isn't an issue for the previous gen, I can't see an in house intel drive (which have a reputation for being almost indestructible) having a problem with high heat.

something like cpu-z?

pretty sure that includes temp monitoring for hardware.

Not for SSDs sadly. ANd the XP941 is thermal throtteling all the time unless you have a fan directly blowing on the PCB.

I've been spending a lot of time at a drive recovery company since I deal with a lot of dead drives in my day job and one of the questions I asked early on was about SSD's and heat and they said from internal tests, unless you're getting it close to the point where plastic melts @ 100c and the soldering melts @ 190c you have nothing to worry about.

Edit: My conversion was off, it's not 100c it's going to be 130c. That's about 266f which is the point where HDPE plastic starts to get tacky/melty 

Well that's interesting. For short time peak temperatures 100°C will be fine, that's sure. But the charge lost from the floating gate is massively increased > 50-70°C and will wear out the cells faster. Do you also have insider knowledge about this issue?

Not for SSDs sadly. ANd the XP941 is thermal throtteling all the time unless you have a fan directly blowing on the PCB.

I suspect the sm951 has the same problem which is why it doesn't benchtest well. Those 750's at least have a hell of a lot of aluminum around them to disperse the heat. the sm951 has a hope and a prayer.

there is something called open hardware monitor. I've never used it, and don't endorse it, but it claims to support intel drive monitoring.

there is something called open hardware monitor. I've never used it, and don't endorse it, but it claims to support intel drive monitoring.

Unlike in HWmonitor the drive shows up, but the only value reported is the disk space used :(

Crystaldiskmark maybe? HDTune? I have some SSDs that show up in only Crystal diskmark and others that show up only in HDTune

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Dumbass . You took it out of context and reinforced the fact that most techies are morons......

Out of context? I linked to the review, the second page of which discusses the thermal throttling issue. As with a lot of potential issues of this type, people tend to blow it all out of proportion and talk authoritatively when they actually have no idea. The real world performance of the SM951, even without an additional heatsink isn't greatly impacted by thermal throttling.

Crystaldiskmark maybe? HDTune? I have some SSDs that show up in only Crystal diskmark and others that show up only in HDTune

I will go through sone of these tools, whem I'm in the mood for some trail and error problem solving.

But thank you for the tip anyway.

I will go through sone of these tools, whem I'm in the mood for some trail and error problem solving.

But thank you for the tip anyway.

I meant Crystal Disk Info, not Crystal Disk Mark. Good luck!

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: