Read temperature of the Intel 750 SSD

Stefan1024

"Log identifier C5h"
I am wondering if this is describing one of the SMART logs that is found on more recent drives. If it is, you can check out smartmontools (found on most Linux distributions) along with the following command:

smartctl --log=scttemp /dev/sda
(where /dev/sda is the first storage device, sdb is the second, etc.)

-l TYPE, --log=TYPE
scttemp, scttempsts, scttemphist - [ATA only] prints the disk temperature information provided by the SMART Command Transport (SCT) commands. The option 'scttempsts' prints current temperature and temperature ranges returned by the SCT Status command, 'scttemphist' prints temperature limits and the temperature history table returned by the SCT Data Table command, and 'scttemp' prints both. The temperature values are preserved across power cycles. The logging interval can be configured with the '-l scttempint,N[,p]' option, see below. The SCT commands were introduced in ATA8-ACS and were also supported by many ATA-7 disks.

I do not have a 750 SSD to play with, but I will try it out on my 520 when I get home because I know for a fact that the 520 does not report temperature via SMART attributes.

There is a Windows port of smartmontools on SourceForge, but I have not been successful getting it to work at this time. (Retrieving SMART logs requires admin privileges, but for some reason the program cannot identify the drive in admin mode) (EDIT: See below. Somehow my work computer did not like smartmontools.)

Anyway, that is what I think Intel is describing in the documentation. Perhaps you can find a more user-friendly program that can read SMART logs, and not just SMART attributes.

EDIT:

OK. Here is the sample output when I run it against my Intel 520:

C:\Program Files (x86)\smartmontools\bin>smartctl -l scttemp F:smartctl 6.4 2015-06-04 r4109 [i686-w64-mingw32-win7(64)-sp1] (sf-6.4-1)Copyright (C) 2002-15, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===SCT Status Version:                  3SCT Version (vendor specific):       0 (0x0000)SCT Support Level:                   1Device State:                        Active (0)Current Temperature:                    30 CelsiusPower Cycle Min/Max Temperature:     30/30 CelsiusLifetime    Min/Max Temperature:     30/30 CelsiusUnder/Over Temperature Limit Count:   0/0SCT Temperature History Version:     2Temperature Sampling Period:         0 minutesTemperature Logging Interval:        0 minutesMin/Max recommended Temperature:      ?/ ? CelsiusMin/Max Temperature Limit:            ?/ ? CelsiusTemperature History Size (Index):    478 (1)Index    Estimated Time   Temperature Celsius   2    2015-09-15 16:53     ?  - ...    ..(476 skipped).    ..  -   1    2015-09-16 00:50     ?  -

I am not sure if I can trust this information. I know my SSD had been subjected to a more varying range of temperatures than just "30°C" for the past 2-3 years... I hope your 750's temperature logs give you more useful information.

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

- snip -

Thank you for the input.

Well I'm pretty sure C5h (=197) is the number of the first register or index where the data is written to, but I have no idea how the get the raw data of this block.

Anyway I used smartmontools to test my Intel 750 and I validated the results with the readings of my 850 Evo in M.2 format.

850 Evo results:

- more unrelated results -SCT Status Version:                  3SCT Version (vendor specific):       256 (0x0100)SCT Support Level:                   1Device State:                        SCT command executing in background (5)Current Temperature:                    39 CelsiusPower Cycle Min/Max Temperature:     39/48 CelsiusLifetime    Min/Max Temperature:      0/70 CelsiusUnder/Over Temperature Limit Count:  4294967295/4294901760SCT Temperature History Version:     3 (Unknown, should be 2)Temperature Sampling Period:         1 minuteTemperature Logging Interval:        10 minutesMin/Max recommended Temperature:      0/70 CelsiusMin/Max Temperature Limit:            0/70 CelsiusTemperature History Size (Index):    128 (3)Index    Estimated Time   Temperature Celsius   4    2015-09-15 18:50     ?  - ...    ..(122 skipped).    ..  - 127    2015-09-16 15:20     ?  -   0    2015-09-16 15:30    40  *********************   1    2015-09-16 15:40    40  *********************   2    2015-09-16 15:50    48  *****************************   3    2015-09-16 16:00    39  ********************- more unrelated results -

The current temperature and the power cycle min/max temperature sounds reasonable to me. It goes up in stress tests and is the same as reported with Argus Monitor. Just keep in mind the power cycle temperatur is only sampled once every 10 minutes.

The lifetime min/max temperature however is 0°C/70°C ,what is the same as the allowed temperture limit. Perhaps they stressed the drive to this limits in the factors for quality controll.

Intel 750 resluts:

The tool was only able to read a very restricted amount of data from the drive:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\smartmontools\bin\smartctl.exe" -A -f brief C:\smartctl 6.3 2014-07-26 r3976 [i686-w64-mingw32-win8(64)] (sf-6.3-1)Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===Current Drive Temperature:     41 CDrive Trip Temperature:        102 CType <return> to exit:

But at least it shows the current temperature!

When I will get the thermal image camera I will validate the value.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

The tool was only able to read a very restricted amount of data from the drive:

For what it's worth, when I run the same command against either of my SM951 NVMe drives I get no output values at all, unfortunately.

For what it's worth, when I run the same command against either of my SM951 NVMe drives I get no output values at all, unfortunately.

Well I guess thise new PCI-e NVMe dirves uses a new protocoll and the software is not updated yet.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Well I guess thise new PCI-e NVMe dirves uses a new protocoll and the software is not updated yet.

Yeah, we can only hope things will improve in the future. This is the full output I can get right now:

C:\Program Files (x86)\smartmontools\bin>smartctl -a C:\smartctl 6.4 2015-06-04 r4109 [i686-w64-mingw32-win8.1(64)] (sf-6.4-1)Copyright (C) 2002-15, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===Vendor:               NVMeProduct:              SAMSUNG MZVPV128Revision:             BXW7Compliance:           SPC-4Rotation Rate:        Solid State DeviceLogical Unit id:      error: SCSI name stringSerial number:        0000_0000_0000_0000.Device type:          diskLocal Time is:        Wed Sep 16 15:25:15 2015 GMTSTSMART support is:     Unavailable - device lacks SMART capability.=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===Request Sense failed, [Input/output error]Error Counter logging not supportedDevice does not support Self Test logging
Note that I didn't redact the serial number; that's the actual output.

- snip -

SMART support is:     Unavailable - device lacks SMART capability.

I do get quite a bit information there. Also the Intel 750 does support SMART and the SM951 not (or it is disabled).

That is way you can't read any of the attributes since the software does rely on the SMART protocol to do so.