Should i upgrade my current PC or build a new one?

Naddition

Here is my current set up:

GPU : Gtx 750 ti

CPU : i5 quad core (i don't know exactly what type it is)

Motherboard : Lenovo motherboard

PSU : 500w

Memory : 1TB HDD

Ram : 4GB (x2)

Cost : $800 (Pre-build)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have NEVER build a pc in my life nor have i come close to doing so. My current pc cost me $800 but its not even close to playing 1080p 60 fps on ultra on pretty much any game. I was wondering whether i should just sell this pc and save up for a new one or keep this one and make upgrades to it. Do any of you have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it!

GPU: GTX 7t0 ti    CPU: i5 Quad core    Ram: 4 GB (x2) DDR3    Motherboard: Lenovo Motherboard    PSU: 500w    

Memory: 1 TB

I'd say upgrade it, get yourself a 970.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Of course make sure that your power supply has power connectors for a new graphic card, otherwise you will have to build a new one.

Pascal laptops guide

i think that you could go for more memory, for gaming 16GB is perfect. and the power supply could be a little stronger. Building a PC is easy and nothing to worry about there are plenty of "How to" videos online, but if you are going to build a new one make sure that all the parts are compatible. 

That thing is $330...dang...not sure if that would be worth it. It would bring up the total cost of the pc to 1130 

GPU: GTX 7t0 ti    CPU: i5 Quad core    Ram: 4 GB (x2) DDR3    Motherboard: Lenovo Motherboard    PSU: 500w    

That thing is $330...dang...not sure if that would be worth it. It would bring up the total cost of the pc to 1130

Do you already own this PC? If yeah the R9 380 or 390 will be perfect. Also a new power supply. Look into 650w MINIMUM XFX or SeaSonic power supplies.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

i think that you could go for more memory, for gaming 16GB is perfect. and the power supply could be a little stronger.

I can understand why having more ram would be beneficial, but how would upgrading my PSU make my pc run better? 

its worth it 970 can do 1080p Ultra on most game

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

You should be able to upgrade it easily. Just pop in a GTX 960 or an R9 380, both are very capable 1080p cards for under $200.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

I can understand why having more ram would be beneficial, but how would upgrading my PSU make my pc run better? 

I think that eventually would should look into getting the i7, i have had the i5 and dont get me wrong it was amazing but the i7 really takes the cake for me. so if you invest in a new PSU then you will have the option to upgrade anything in the computer with out having to worry about  not having enough power

You should be able to upgrade it easily. Just pop in a GTX 960 or an R9 380, both are very capable 1080p cards for under $200.

Would an MSI GPU work on my pc? Ive only ever used Nvidia so im not sure.

I think that eventually would should look into getting the i7, i have had the i5 and dont get me wrong it was amazing but the i7 really takes the cake for me. so if you invest in a new PSU then you will have the option to upgrade anything in the computer with out having to worry about  not having enough power

Ah ok, thanks! Guess it would be easier to just buy a i7 and a new PSU at the same time.

its worth it 970 can do 1080p Ultra on most game

Cool, thanks!

Never ever look at total cost of a build in general. Most components drop in price so much when used haha. But seriously to get a good bang to buck your looking at double what you spent to get a good upgrade over your current one.

I spent £1350 originally and after 2 years I've spent another 900 on only a few components again. PC's aren't cheap and you need to decide whether it's a hobby or something you want to take further.

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

Would an MSI GPU work on my pc? Ive only ever used Nvidia so im not sure.

Yes, any manufacturer will work. The important thing is the graphics core which is made by Nvidia (GTX cards) or AMD (R9 cards)

Don't worry about upgrading your RAM, 8GB is plenty for gaming unless you do heavy multitasking.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Dude please don't go out and buy anything randomly. 

Post your correct spec's and I'll happily help you out and give you some guides to figure out if things are compatible, the i5 should be absolutely fine for a couple of more years really. 

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

what i would suggest is knowing what socket and age of your components are... if you have almost new stuff (1-4 years old) it should be a pretty good idea to upgrade and its cheaper to upgrade then to build a new one... go off your choice and budget mate but if it was me i would update the 750 ti to something like a 780ti at least. 8gb is good enough for gaming, however if you do have money left over in the budget then consider going for an upgrade, remember to not only consider the capacity of the ram but the speed aswell.

Here is my current set up:

GPU : Gtx 750 ti

CPU : i5 quad core (i don't know exactly what type it is)

Motherboard : Lenovo motherboard

PSU : 500w

Memory : 1TB HDD

Ram : 4GB (x2)

Cost : $800 (Pre-build)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have NEVER build a pc in my life nor have i come close to doing so. My current pc cost me $800 but its not even close to playing 1080p 60 fps on ultra on pretty much any game. I was wondering whether i should just sell this pc and save up for a new one or keep this one and make upgrades to it. Do any of you have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it!

Self build PC´s are always more powerfull for the same price or same power for lower Price. Your CPU should do fine. i5´s a very good for Gaming.

What Games do you play? What Display you have or want? More Infos please.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Never ever look at total cost of a build in general. Most components drop in price so much when used haha. But seriously to get a good bang to buck your looking at double what you spent to get a good upgrade over your current one.

I spent £1350 originally and after 2 years I've spent another 900 on only a few components again. PC's aren't cheap and you need to decide whether it's a hobby or something you want to take further.

I guess you're right haha. Thanks!

The i7 won't give  a great boost in games, look for a high end GPU instead.

Pascal laptops guide

Ah ok, thanks! Guess it would be easier to just buy a i7 and a new PSU at the same time.

ya sorry for the confusion

Dude please don't go out and buy anything randomly. 

Post your correct spec's and I'll happily help you out and give you some guides to figure out if things are compatible, the i5 should be absolutely fine for a couple of more years really. 

Im currently in school, but when i get home i can use speccy to tell you what they are. Thanks for your help!

follow your heart

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

There is no reason to get a 970 anymore, R9 390 is better

PC is alive again! :System: CPU:Intel i5 4960k/ Motherboard:ASUS Gryphon Z97/ RAM: Kingston 16GB/ GPU: ASUS R9 Fury X/ Storage: 120gb Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate SSHD/ PSU: Cooler Master 700w/ Displays: 1 Acer B276HK ymjdprz 27-inch 4K Ultra HD/1 ASUS 21.5 LCD LED 21.5 monitor