Nvidia gameworks is bad for gamers, devs and the market as a whole

Spaced

I've been looking at buying a new GPU recently and it has been one hell of a struggle choosing. So much so that I haven't made up my mind between the AMD R9 390 or the GTX 970.

You see my journey into GPU research has left me feeling pretty bummed out. So Nvidia use gameworks... This sucks. Even though the AMD R9 390 is clearly the better performer at the same price and AMD have the architecture to support DX12 gaming better than the latest 900 series Nvidia cards. They still won't be able to do the awesome graphical features that can be achieved with gameworks. Heres a couple of videos to show you how cool some of this stuff is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHrmAF9IzQU.

If your into having the best graphics then its hard to ignore the fact you will be missing out on seeing really cool looking graphical features the devs took the time to design. Especially when you can spend £600 on an R9 Fury X and still will not have the best graphics on certain games. Without competition in the market then we are at the mercy of Nvidia to give us whatever they want and there will be no other company around to challenge them to produce good tech. Like it or not Nvidia fanboys you need AMD and the longer Nvidia keeps this divide present by not making these technologies uniform for all gamers then that's bad for all of us. Not just people who want to buy an AMD.

I think this issue needs more attention so I thought I would post about it here. Please feel free to add your thoughts also.

Well, do you plan on playing Arkham Knight on PC?

You shouldn't really care about the effects, they're pretty minor to me.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

i'm just going to say this and i dont care how much hate i get, I hate AMD because of the nano but i am still going to be getting an AMD gpu aka the 390

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Since the 970 has come down in price a bit I currently lean more towards that.  The 390 is overpriced atm.

That being said, people are really good at adapting.  Graphics always take a backseat to gameplay for me, and if batman is fun to play, then it won't matter if amd doesn't get all the fancy fog, no one will care beyond blithering fanboys.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Maybe at some point in the future. I liked Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City so you never know I might visit this game also even though I detest when games get made too many times *cough* farcryassassinscreedanythingubisoft *cough*

But I am also looking forward to playing all of these games

1. Fallout 4
2. MGSV
3. Mad Max
4. For Honor
5. The Division
6. XCOM 2
7. Star Citizen
8. Warhammer Total War
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10. Rainbow Six Seige

My guess is some of them will probably use gameworks features

If your into having the best graphics then its hard to ignore the fact you will be missing out on seeing really cool looking graphical features the Nvidia devs took the time to design.

You miss the point of GameWorks, for years cool new features would be added to GPUs but would mostly go unused until years later because game devs either didn't understand how to utilise them or have the time to spend developing them. Nvidia built a library to make use of those features, its not limited to Nvidia hardware either but, yes, because they built it the development was focused on their hardware.

The simple fact is if the dev's wanted to take the time to develop these features themselves no one is stopping them and more so Nvidia has a licence that allows access to the source code which means a dev could take that code and optimise it for AMD, that licence does come at a premium but it also means the dev doesn't have to pay for the time their in house dev's would require to code it.

I think you need to realize that AMD should spend more money developing technologies like what nvidia is doing rather than wasting money making attack ads

All nvidia is doing with gameworks is premaking tools for devs so they can easily add stuff without wasting time and money implementing it themselves

AMD is not helping devs like this at all

And nvidia is actually slowing down their crap because AMD is so far behind

Now they're spending money in robotics, neural networks, self learning, car audiovisual systems, etc... instead of putting all those millions into making better GPUs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think you need to realize that AMD should spend more money developing technologies like what nvidia is doing rather than wasting money making attack ads

All nvidia is doing with gameworks is premaking tools for devs so they can easily add stuff without wasting time and money implementing it themselves

Now they're spending money in robotics, neural networks, self learning, car audiovisual systems, etc... instead of putting all those millions into making better GPUs

but you gotta realize AMD has literally no money

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

but you gotta realize AMD has literally no money

Yeah thats a problem

but you cant expect nvidia to give them money just to have competition...

and you also cant expect nvidia to just stop making everything GPU related so that AMD can catch up

AMD needs to take things into their own hands and find something to make the market even again, or someone else needs to come along to make GPUs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah thats a problem

but you cant expect nvidia to give them money just to have competition...

and you also cant expect nvidia to just stop making everything GPU related so that AMD can catch up

AMD needs to take things into their own hands and find something to make the market even again, or someone else needs to come along to make GPUs

all we can do is hope there new gpu line will be good
Spoiler

I believe GTA 5 has options optimized for nvidia and AMD features.

Nvidia PCSS and AMD CHS under the shadows.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

Well, I do agree that Nvidia is generally anti-competitive and as a result, anti-consumer in its behavior. The only thing that will change that behavior, and this is a maybe, is if AMD somehow rises from the grave and takes at least 70% of the market back from Nvidia. They would need to be a serious threat.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Killing Floor 2.

Nuff said lol.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

Actually - AMD HAVE developed some featuresets but Nvidia are the ones going around paying off devs.

See - They have Tress FX, True Audio and up until recently - Mantle. The difference is AMD don't cripple Nvidia when those are implemented and they don't pay off devs to use them.

Do you think every dev that used Gameworks likes it? Half have commented on it being a "Black box", a "Bottomless box" that they know 0 things about how it works as they don't have the code. Honestly, I dislike the idea of Nvidia locking away code from the devs of the game and going out of their way to cripple the competitor while also doing it themselves. Remember Witcher 3? Hairworks? Well - the Tess is set to 64X times - some guys lowered it down to 16X and there was literally no difference. Remember Crysis 2? The water is tessellated beyond recognition - when using the map viewer there are random objects - like a vase or a plank on the wall that are so tessellated that when you turn grid view on you see a black object - millions of polygons to cripple GPU performance - thing is - it reduces Nvidia's fps by 20% but AMD's by 50% so it's worth in their eyes.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I have a NVidia Card who can manage all this Featurs, but I dont like this exclusives idea. All Gamers should get everything a Game has to offer, no matter what Brand they use.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I have a NVidia Card who can manage all this Featurs, but I dont like this exclusives idea. All Gamers should get everything a Game has to offer, no matter what Brand they use.

Well said brother ^_^

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

In 2-3 Years AMD will vanish or a huge Company will buy them. Not a Chance they survive the Way they do things atm.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

In 2-3 Years AMD will vanish or a huge Company will buy them. Not a Chance they survive the Way they do things atm.

Depends - nobody can predict the future :)

If Zen succeeds they're right back in the game really.

Depends - nobody can predict the future :)

If Zen succeeds they're right back in the game really.

I have read some Economy Stuff, their Numbers are bad. They did 10% negative a Year.

But i hope they will do better and help PC evolve further and balance the hinder because of consoles.

I have read some Economy Stuff, their Numbers are bad. They did 10% negative a Year.

But i hope they will do better and help PC evolve further and balance the hinder because of consoles.

take those numbers with a grain of salt. The big flashy chart somebody made recently was proved to have been "nudged" a bit - it said AMD had 18% share whereas it has around 22%-23% from other, slightly more reliable, sources.

Also - I am eager to see how things fair for them in Q3 2015 - they've been selling a good amount more now with 75% of people on the forum recommending 390 and 380 over the 960 and 970 - the most important market segment if you ask me.

take those numbers with a grain of salt. The big flashy chart somebody made recently was proved to have been "nudged" a bit - it said AMD had 18% share whereas it has around 22%-23% from other, slightly more reliable, sources.

Also - I am eager to see how things fair for them in Q3 2015 - they've been selling a good amount more now with 75% of people on the forum recommending 390 and 380 over the 960 and 970 - the most important market segment if you ask me.

Ya looks like.