10,000 will be laid off at Samsung

jos
According to a report on Tuesday, just one day before Apple is set to unveil its next-generation iPhone and iPad lineup, Samsung is set to lay off 10% of its workforce, or nearly 10,000 employees, at its headquarters in South Korea. The news comes from The Korea Economic Daily, which adds that Samsung hopes to cut back on general expenses by as much as 50% in 2016. The report notes that impacted divisions include the company’s finance, personnel, and public relations departments. Samsung shares climbed more than 1.7% on the news, but are still down nearly 15% so far in 2015.

I take this news as bad for Android as a whole...Samsung is the brand who is making money of Android, If they are finding it difficult then what will be the situation of others?? Cutting 50% expense will surely need cutting RnD expenses. 

I don't think it will effect Android much, Samsung makes A LOT more than just phones..

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It's sad for the workers but the saddest part is that this could eventually leave Apple alone and fuck that I rather not use phones at all anymore, back to land lines for me.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's sad for the workers but the saddest part is that this could eventually leave Apple alone and fuck that I rather not use phones at all anymore, back to land lines for me.

hahaha. apple would never let that happen. if they loose competition they are dead too

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

hahaha. apple would never let that happen. if they loose competition they are dead too

Not really. They'd have to get parts and chips from somewhere else but that's no big feat. And today they basically operate as if they had no competition: they products are completely different OS and interface and people are fucking stupid enough to keep buying meaningless incremental upgrades all of the time effectively meaning they're only really competing against themselves.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This is not 10k people from the mobile division, but the headquaters. Samsung is a conglomerate and they can fire 10k people as easy as they can hire 10k. Not an issue. Sometimes you need to cut the fat.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Another mega rich company laying off workers just to get that extra bit of profit, Samsung are mega rich, Their market cap is around $200 billion.

I take this news as bad for Android as a whole.

It doesn't mean anything for Android to me... Samsung has their hand in just about every market you could thing of... Okay, I'm exaggerating, but they don't just work with Smartphones and semiconductors... They're a huge company with a lot of different divisions.

Another mega rich company laying off workers just to get that extra bit of profit, Samsung are mega rich, Their market cap is around $200 billion.

Thats almost 20% of all of Korea's economy in Samsung. This is a family owned business, so it's not like they need more money for themselves. Just cutting the costs of spending, across not only electronics but across all the other parts of the company to like life insurance, heavy industrial, engineering and fine chemicals to name a few. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Not really. They'd have to get parts and chips from somewhere else but that's no big feat. And today they basically operate as if they had no competition: they products are completely different OS and interface and people are fucking stupid enough to keep buying meaningless incremental upgrades all of the time effectively meaning they're only really competing against themselves.

no. ohno. you do not want to imagine a world without competition. its terrible for money.

why do you think microsoft invested in apple back in the days

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

This doesn't effect Android at all.

Samsung makes waaaaaaay more than phones they make pretty much everything from fridges and washing machines to anti air weapons for South Korea.

and probably sex toys

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

This author just played into the stereotype that apple fans have no substantial knowledge about tech. You would think a tech journalist would know that Samsung makes more than just phones and these layoffs could be from any of their other divisions.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

It's just time for you to accept apple into your heart and announce Steve Jobs as your lord and savior. He died for your sins. In the name of the Holy Trinity iOS, OSX and itunes, amen. 

Considering that they had 489,000 employees in 2014. (this is according to Wiki, the numbers may vary depending on the source), this is roughly 2% of their complete work force a year ago. Not really troubling when you think about it, but it's sad every time when people lose jobs.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Considering that they had 489,000 employees in 2014. (this is according to Wiki, the numbers may vary depending on the source), this is roughly 2% of their complete work force a year ago. Not really troubling when you think about it, but it's sad every time when people lose jobs.

you beat me to it D:

Just so you know, Samsung is the Apple of the Android OS, in my country, they sells their flagship phone much more expensive than iPhone.
I dont know how long have you lived, but in every business its always like this, the company which adopted a new technology first will sells expensively and then comes new company that adopt similar technology whilst selling cheaper products. But when their technology surpassed or at least on par with the first company, they will sells with the same tactics that worked (Exploiting the people that loyal to their brand). But as long there are competition for new adopter, they will still update their technology with new features may be it small or bigger depending on their capabilities of adding it.

And calling people (like me) who is using iPhone and buying their products every 2 years "stupid", doesnt make you smarter, it makes you ignorant.

And calling people (like me) who is using iPhone and buying their products every 2 years "stupid", doesnt make you smarter, it makes you ignorant.

No it just makes you stupid if you buy a new iphone or ipad or whatever everytime a new one comes out. Especially if your smart enough to navigate and participate in a website such as this.

and probably sex toys

That's hitachi fam

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

That's hitachi fam

doesn't mean they aren't doing it too

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

doesn't mean they aren't doing it too

I am aware

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

No it just makes you stupid if you buy a new iphone or ipad or whatever everytime a new one comes out. Especially if your smart enough to navigate and participate in a website such as this.

Its like saying, i think i am right, so i am definitely right. That is ignorant. Giving no specific reason.

Did you know that i myself bought my first smartphone when the iPhone 3G is out, since then i paid a good sum amount of money in their app store. So switching OS would mean losing money because there is many app that i bought since that day that still updated until now. And anyway there were no decent Android Phone until around 2013, until then android phone just look like a cheaper knockoff of an iPhone.

If you have friends or family member that bought iPhone every year they comes out, even though they are poor, then it is stupid economic decision. <- One of the reason i that might make you made the statement you did.

And this discussion is already out of topic and too many times for my taste. So if you really want to know my state of mind, and the quality of my intelligence just PM me rather than post here. But remember in the future being ignorant doesnt make you right. Collect more information unto why people decide to do something before judging what they did is stupid or whatever.If you're a female i'll understand for you being emotional out of everything. But if you are male, check again or start introspection of yourself and see what made you being emotional of other people's decision.

Its like saying, i think i am right, so i am definitely right. That is ignorant. Giving no specific reason.

Did you know that i myself bought my first smartphone when the iPhone 3G is out, since then i paid a good sum amount of money in their app store. So switching OS would mean losing money because there is many app that i bought since that day that still updated until now. And anyway there were no decent Android Phone until around 2013, until then android phone just look like a cheaper knockoff of an iPhone.

If you have friends or family member that bought iPhone every year they comes out, even though they are poor, then it is stupid economic decision. <- One of the reason i think that might make you made the statement you did.

And this discussion is already out of topic and too many times for my taste. So if you really want to know my state of mind, and the quality of my intelligence just PM me rather than post here. But remember in the future being ignorant doesnt make you right. Collect more information unto why people decide to do something before judging what they did is stupid or whatever.If you're a female i'll understand for you being emotional out of everything. But if you are male, check again or start introspection of yourself and see what made you being emotional of other people's decision.