1440p 144hz

swimsphinx

So I am looking to get a new 1440p 144hz monitor now that I have upgraded my computer to be able to play games with good frames on a 1440p monitor. 

Now I'm really trying to decide between the PG278q and the MG279q($669 vs $579 respectively) so between TN vs IPS,  Freesync (i have a Nvidia card so it wont be usable without hacks) vs G-Sync, and 1ms vs 4ms response time. all for about a ~$90 difference in price.

So i do play alot of FPS so the faster the response time the better, but a 3ms response time difference doesnt seem like it would be that much of a difference and I wonder as to how much I will even be able to notice it (im currently playing on a 5ms response time monitor so either is an improvement). For IPS vs TN im not a super stickler about color accuracy and viewing angle stuff (I'm almost always looking directly at my computer monitor and not from odd angles) so this doesnt matter much to me here. and then G-sync vs Free-Sync ( for freesync i would essentially get nothing as i am not likely to make my GTX work with freesync).

So really is 1ms response time (3ms response time difference between the two) and G-sync worth ~$90 for me to get the pg278q over the mg279q? Im really quite torn and I know it comes down more towards my own subjective biases but any input at this time to sway me one way or the other would be great.

PS: my budget is around ~$700 so the pg278q is at the top while the mg279q is a ways below and any money I save on the monitor here would just go towards future computer upgrades but I am perfectly comfortable spending $700 on a monitor.

CPU i7 4770k (4.5ghz OC) | CPU Cooler Swiftech H220-x | GPU 980ti G1 Gaming (1562 mhz) | Mobo EVGA z87 Stinger | RAM 16gb Kingston HyperX Beast 1866mhz | PSU EVGA 850w B-2 | Storage Seagate 2tb hdd 7200rpm(main storage) & Samsung 840 EVO 250gb (boot drive) | Case Corsair 250D

Get the Acer XB271HU, it's a revision of my Acer XB270HU and it will be 100$ cheaper at 699$.

The PG278q and MG279q are both shit, I don't recommend them at all.

20150903acer2.jpg

Or you could go with the PG279Q when it comes out, because that one is 165hz!!!

2500px_Asus_Computex2015_DSC06808_2.jpg

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

if you have an nvidia card and is not planning to switch to amd get the g sync one obviously and 3ms is not noticeable 

Even if you're looking at your monitor straight on, there's a huge difference between IPS and TN. I'd rather trade 3ms for way better colors as I'm not a pro gamer or anything like that.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

3m is not noticeable, but gsync definitely is

I personally would go for ips since I dont game a lot, but if you do game a lot gsync is definitely worth it

unless your GPU gets enough fps to cap out at 144Hzm, then you can just lock the fps at 144

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ignore advertised response times. They are PURE BULLSHIT.

Ignore everything thats TN. If you pay money for garbage be prepared to get ripped off and be disappointed.

IPS/VA should be your only options.

A 144hz IPS with gsync should be what you are looking for really.

But the mg279q - which in your case would be JUST a 144hz IPS - will be awesome too.

I'd really suggest waiting for the XB271HU and the PG279Q. I'm looking really hard at the PG279Q for my own impending monitor update.

Arcturus(log here): Intel Core i7 6700K // MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G(1454/1995) // Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB //  MSI XPower Gaming Titanium Edition // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB // WD Black 2TB // Corsair 760T // Corsair RM850i