How long do your desk chairs last?

So, I'm in the market for a new computer chair. My current chair is.....falling apart. The leather on the cushion is completely torn up, something underneath is breaking because every time I sit down the chair will rock in ways it isn't meant to and make terrible noises.

So I find myself wondering, how long do desk/computer chairs last for everyone else? I'm a heavy guy, about 250lbs, and I tend to "plop" down in a chair rather than ease myself into it like you skinny people. I keep looking at chairs on Amazon, but I've no idea what will be a durable chair. I want something where the fabric won't tear at the seams after a year, and where the cushion foam won't collapse over time and end up being a flat platform on top of a piece of particle board.

So, what do you recommend for less than $200? And how long do your chairs normally last?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

For me it's about 2-3 years, but I'm lightweight(67Kg)

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

I use a rickety old wooden chair at my desk, because we have hardwood floors, and my parents don't want to ruin them :(

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

my 50$ office max chair lasting me 3 years and going.

im also 125 poungs @5'9'' ish

The one i've got now has been perfectly fine since i nabbed it from a guy that was about to throw it in a dumpster

So 5 years + is my guess.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I'm also 250 pounds. I rocking this office chair that leans back quite a bit. The cushion isn't like it used to be but nothing under nest is bother me. Haven't even had it for two years I think?

Lazy Boy Nexus. I forget the price. It may be over budget... I don't own this but the thing was the most comfortable thing up at my staples.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

The one i've got now has been perfectly fine since i nabbed it from a guy that was about to throw it in a dumpster

So 5 years + is my guess.

I like the new avatar. Why was he about to throw it in the dumpster if it was still good?

So, I'm in the market for a new computer chair. My current chair is.....falling apart. The leather on the cushion is completely torn up, something underneath is breaking because every time I sit down the chair will rock in ways it isn't meant to and make terrible noises.

So I find myself wondering, how long do desk/computer chairs last for everyone else? I'm a heavy guy, about 250lbs, and I tend to "plop" down in a chair rather than ease myself into it like you skinny people. I keep looking at chairs on Amazon, but I've no idea what will be a durable chair. I want something where the fabric won't tear at the seams after a year, and where the cushion foam won't collapse over time and end up being a flat platform on top of a piece of particle board.

So, what do you recommend for less than $200? And how long do your chairs normally last?

i spent £100 on a desk chair like 4 months ago and its falling appart, my previous one had a bolt through the stem to keep it up, and a ripped base, that lasted 4 years :) 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

I like the new avatar. Why was he about to throw it in the dumpster if it was still good?

I like it too xD The original Hawkeye

No idea. It is pretty ugly so i guess he might just've thrown it out as he got another one

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

i bought my current chair about 3 years ago for 100 dollars and its still ok to use. It is starting to fall apart, but for now ill stick with it until i upgrade my desk and computer sometime next year.

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

i bought my current chair about 3 years ago for 100 dollars and its still ok to use. It is starting to fall apart, but for now ill stick with it until i upgrade my desk and computer sometime next year.

I like it too xD The original Hawkeye

No idea. It is pretty ugly so i guess he might just've thrown it out as he got another one

I'm just worried that I'm going to go to sit down one evening, and going to end up on the floor. Something on the base is beginning to give. The chair was originally able to rock back and forth, but now if I lean too far forward or backwards, it makes a terrible creaking noise, and I can tell something if moving that shouldn't be. It also now moves side to side....which is not good.

I've looked to see if screws are loose, but nothing I can see.

Edit: I don't know why I didn't just google search for "computer chairs for fat guys"

This seems to be a good one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050PSVZ6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0050PSVZ6&linkCode=as2&tag=officechairsforheavypeople-20

Thoughts? I just don't want another one that falls apart after a year, and I probably spend more than 10 hours a day on my PC.

You have two choices, either buying 50$ chairs and changing them yearly, or buying an expensive DX Racer chair which will last almost 5 years.

Also watch out plopping in your chair, one time I did that and one of my neck muscle got "stuck" and I had to walk with my head on my shoulders for the whole weekend. I couldn't barely sleep or walk.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

You have two choices, either buying 50$ chairs and changing them yearly, or buying an expensive DX Racer chair which will last almost 5 years.

Also watch out plopping in your chair, one time I did that and one of my neck muscle got "stuck" and I had to walk with my head on my shoulders for the whole weekend. I couldn't barely sleep or walk.

I've never had that happen....will definitely try to stop plopping.

I would buy a DX Racer, but I've never sat in one or even seen one in person. I worry about how comfortable they are, they don't look like they have much cushion.

Do the DX Racer's rock or tilt, as well as recline? 

You can score some good, cheap chairs if you find an office that is changing locations or closing, and is getting rid of all of its old furniture. That is where I found my desk and current chair. But I am in a unique situation where I personally know someone who manages a bunch of office buildings, and she gives me the scoop on who is dumping all of their perfectly good furniture. But, you can drive around to some of your local office buildings one weekend and see if there is anything of interest near the dumpsters.

Omg this happened to me last week! My neck/shoulder muscle was killing me, but it happened when I turned my head too fast because I heard a loud bang in my yard.

Trying to sleep with that was the worst feeling I've ever had.

On topic: I own a Ikea Markus chair, 2,5 years and going strong(72kg) though the cushion ain't what it used to be. Still a comfortable chair. 

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

I've had my chair for over a decade at this point and it's still in like new condition.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I've had my chair for over a decade at this point and it's still in like new condition.

Dayum. What kind?

Dayum. What kind?

No idea. My step dad bought it....

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I have had two identical office chairs now for over 8 years.... Frankly last year was when we should have replaced them, but they were very sturdy and comfortable for around 6.5 years.

I'm probably going to have to make a thread asking people for similar ergonomics to mine because the reason they haven't bee replaced is because we haven't found a similar enough seat.

Gone through a handful of crappy chairs in a matter of 1-2 years though, price premiums are definitely worth it for most furniture, I think.

Ive had my chair for far too long (5+ years...) the screws that keep the piston and seat together are coming through the seat and i do feel them :D

Im buying new chair finally and i expect it to last 2 years minimum (GT Omega Pro).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Ive had my chair for far too long (5+ years...) the screws that keep the piston and seat together are coming through the seat and i do feel them :D

Im buying new chair finally and i expect it to last 2 years minimum (GT Omega Pro).

Those available in the US?