For $29,000 Tesla Roadster owners can give their cars new life.

Arty

http://www.businessinsider.com/for-29000-tesla-roadster-owners-can-give-their-cars-new-life-2015-9

Tesla became the hottest car company on Earth by making a very simple decision: build a sexy electric car and people will pay attention.

When the Tesla Roadster first hit the streets, it was a revelation. Based on a Lotus sports car design, it was battery powered but the polar opposite of a golf cart. It was fast. It was fun. It turned heads.

In my first face-to-face conversation with CEO Elon Musk, at Tesla's then-first retail store in Santa Monica, CA, I pointed out that he had rescued Hollywood celebrities from having to drive around in Priuses. He nodded in acknowledgment.

It's easy to forget about the Roadster now, as Tesla has temporarily discontinued production to focus on the Model S sedan and the Model X SUV. But there are plenty of Roadster owners who continue to enjoy their cars, and for them Tesla is now offering a $29,000 battery pack upgrade that boosts range from 245 miles to 400. 

The 245-mile number was already pretty darn good, as electric cars go. When I test drove a Roadster several years ago, I was hard-pressed to bring on anything that even vaguely resembled "range anxiety," and I didn't hold back on the accelerator. Bumping that to 400 really just means that you can now drive your good old Roadster in spirited fashion for longer. Although it obviously also means lengthier jaunts between charges.

It will cost Tesla owners $5,000 to reserve a new pack. The sticker price for the new pack looks kind of high (although the battery is the most expensive component of a Tesla vehicle in any case), but this is effectively a bespoke hand-built upgrade, something for the most loyal, earliest adopters — or any Roadster fan who want to pick a car up used and improve it.

The Tesla Roadster thrilled the bejeezus out of me, and if I owned one and had the wherewithal, this upgrade would be a no-brainer. It takes what was one of the coolest cars on the road five years ago and really expands its capabilities.

However, Tesla has said that an all-new Roadster will join the lineup in 2019. So current owners will have to ask themselves if they want to spend almost 30 grand now to upgrade, or save the money and wait a few years to get a car that could be something truly astonishing, given the advancements Tesla has made since the first Roadsters were introduced.

TL:DR

30k for upgrade 

5k to reserver

Range goes from 245 miles to 400 Miles range (and no not at 25mph)

sweet af.

For 30k I could get an entirely new car... 

I guess it might be a viable option for owner's of the Roadsters, but that seems like a lot of money for 200 miles.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

batteries aint cheap. 

True. But still, if you're worried about the range of your car, you could spend that $30k on a nice non-electric car that will get you a lot further than 400 miles at a time. And then you can keep your Roadster as a nice weekend cruiser or something

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

True. But still, if you're worried about the range of your car, you could spend that $30k on a nice non-electric car that will get you a lot further than 400 miles at a time. And then you can keep your Roadster as a nice weekend cruiser or something

to make it worse they are making a new roadster in  2019 xD

i wanna see the 0-60 on the lighter roadster with the p90D Ludicrous mode.

to make it worse they are making a new roadster in  2019 xD

i wanna see the 0-60 on the lighter roadster with the p90D Ludicrous mode.

Probably look something like this :P

U1vWMxC.png

This is for people that want both the range and the roadster and have the cash to burn. The original car was $125k while the car it was based off of was $35 max. I'm pretty sure that the people who own the car weren't concerned with the price that they had to pay to drive it and won't care what they have to pay to increase its range

This is for people that want both the range and the roadster and have the cash to burn. The original car was $125k while the car it was based off of was $35 max. I'm pretty sure that the people who own the car weren't concerned with the price that they had to pay to drive it and won't care what they have to pay to increase its range

That's true. I guess this is Tesla trying to make the most out of the old Roadster before it's successor is introduced in 2019 like @Arty said and makes it obsolete. It's getting pretty dated too, so an update doesn't hurt. 

i dont think you can get something as good as a tesla

even now that the model 3 is 35k

What could you get for 35k thats nicer then a tesla.

even now that the model 3 is 35k

What could you get for 35k thats nicer then a tesla.

the model 3 is probably not as good as these cars

the model 3 is probably not as good as these cars

"These Cars"?

i assume you refering to the model x and s

Only time will tell how nurfed of a model s it will be.

but @35k i don't think many cars will beat out a model 3.

PLUS INSTANT TORQUE 

That's debatable. Like @CtW said, the Lotus Elise that the Tesla Roadster is based on can be had for around $30-35k. I don't know what exactly you mean by "good", but the Elise is a pretty damn fun/good car. 

That's debatable. Like @CtW said, the Lotus Elise that the Tesla Roadster is based on can be had for around $30-35k. I don't know what exactly you mean by "good", but the Elise is a pretty damn fun/good car. 

and it has a higher top speed and range (it probably handles better too). The acceleration isn't as good though.

i googled it and it says 47000 to 73000

i googled it and it says 47000 to 73000

I have no idea where you're finding that number.

Here's a KBB estimate on a low-mileage example

gW2671a.png

2008 is the model year Elise that the Roadster is based on

And here are some links to some Elise's on sale

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Lotus-Elise-d554

Dont see any above $35k other than a few sub 20k mile examples 

400 miles is daaamn

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Well the new roadster was said by Musk to go "full plaid" so I can't wait. Ludicrous speed is not enough.

I have no idea where you're finding that number.

Here's a KBB estimate on a low-mileage example

2008 is the model year Elise that the Roadster is based on

And here are some links to some Elise's on sale

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Lotus-Elise-d554

Dont see any above $35k other than a few sub 20k mile examples 

i was talking about new because comparing a new car to a used car isnt really fair

i was talking about new because comparing a new car to a used car isnt really fair

But Roadsters aren't new either. They were discontinued in '12

But Roadsters aren't new either. They were discontinued in '12

well these people already own the cars so would would they spend more and buy a new used car

well these people already own the cars so would would they spend more and buy a new used car

I'm not saying they would, I'm just saying it's a possibility

And as gas remains cheap. Tesla will be up shits creek before ya know it.

And as gas remains cheap. Tesla will be up shits creek before ya know it.

Not really, the people who buy these cars dont care about gas prices.

Lord of Helium.