Worst Computer Brand Ever

Go to solution Solved by railfan,

hp for same reasons

From what I've owned or used with the most recent being my lattitude e7440.

hp-unreliable, awful battery life, awful designs except for the new omen.

dell-awful battery life, rather lacklusther build quality, awful trackpad

asus- poor battery life, awful trackpad

lenovo- poor battery life, easily overheats, poor build quality

toshiba- poor build quality, bad battery life

compaq- heavy, largely plastic construction

I have a dell XPS 13 DE and it has the longest battery life of any laptop I have ever used. the build quality is super solid and the inside feels amazing to the touch. the trackpad is nothing to write home about but its not bad by any stretch of the imagination. I also got a dell dimension 4700 in 2002 that lasted me till ~2008 which is not all that bad.

and toshiba makes the tough-book, you can run those laptops over with a hummer in a rainstorm and they still work. they have more durable laptop options than any other company as far as I am aware.

Dell is actually pretty good. I have a Inspiron 580 from 2008-2009. Runs the same as the day it was new! It's my daily driver PC.

I personally don't Like HP, because every single computer I have seen from HP is literally slower than a snail....they need to cash in on Printers and stop wasting their money....I mean one HP desktop didn't even have an exhaust fan installed in the case really.

Thanks!

Chris R.

eMachine a few years ago. The power supplied that came with the machines simply died after a few months.

We learn when we tinker.

anything that is a computer.

LOL JK

I hate dell. At least these things:

attachicon.gifdell-optiplex-gx260.50224036_std.jpg

I worked as an IT for a while and these damn things never worked.  VRM capacitors are a crappy brand, they always exploded, the thermals were awful, there was like no air flow and the HDDs cooked, power supplies were loud and never lasted, the cases felt cheap and horrible and well, they sucked.

^@ Dell never had one that worked remotely well. Not that I've ever had luck with pre-built desktops, but holy hell, Dell was the worst. And their customer service? As a licensed retailer at Staples, I had to pull fucking teeth to get them to do anything!

As far as laptops, over the course of 3 months, the first fiscal quarter this year, we took a tally of what brand computers came into the store to be serviced (only marked a tally if the issue was not the fault of the customer btw), and out of almost 500 devices, nearly one half of them were Dell, no other brand having numbers near that. Wish I could find the tally sheet, as I've got no credibility until then..

EDIT: Looks like "dell" is the name of a forums member.. reformatted so he/she isn't tagged....

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I have a dell XPS 13 DE and it has the longest battery life of any laptop I have ever used. the build quality is super solid and the inside feels amazing to the touch. the trackpad is nothing to write home about but its not bad by any stretch of the imagination. I also got a dell dimension 4700 in 2002 that lasted me till ~2008 which is not all that bad.

and toshiba makes the tough-book, you can run those laptops over with a hummer in a rainstorm and they still work. they have more durable laptop options than any other company as far as I am aware.

My Dell Latitude E7440 gives me a bad impression of business grade PCs as a whole. From an awful trackpad (I've had it replaced twice already), to a bad battery (battery capacity dropped to roughly 70% after 1 year with minimal use; I probably only charged it less than 100 times), to the awful attention to detail of the laptop (the technician that came to replace my motherboard and trackpad commented on how the laptop was missing a lot of screws). All of this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth of the lack of quality control business grade laptops are being given when they're supposed to be a step above consumer grade products. 

As far as personal experience, Dell. Back in 2004 my now exwife had dell laptop, it was a middle of the row one costed close to 1,000$ at the time, if it wasn't for the warranty it wouldn't have been worth 5 bux imo, it spent as much time being sent off for warranty work as it was used, everything but the chasis got replaced while it was still under warranty. My dad got dell desktop in that same era and in less then and year it needed a new power supply. My exwife's grand mother had a dell desktop from about 2 years earlier, it had several hardware components fail before it got to be 4 yrs old too. They may have gotten better, but it will take several people I personally know having good experiences with them for me to trust them again. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

My Dell Latitude E7440 gives me a bad impression of business grade PCs as a whole. From an awful trackpad (I've had it replaced twice already), to a bad battery (battery capacity dropped to roughly 70% after 1 year with minimal use; I probably only charged it less than 100 times), to the awful attention to detail of the laptop (the technician that came to replace my motherboard and trackpad commented on how the laptop was missing a lot of screws). All of this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth of the lack of quality control business grade laptops are being given when they're supposed to be a step above consumer grade products. 

Seems like you got a one of a kind, I was just pointing out that saying dell has bad battery life doesn't make sense as they have a range of laptops and some have great battery life.

But in all seriousness I would argue that it's Intel because they've cornered the processor market into 3 main companies.. Immagine the advances we could make if hundreds, or thousands of labs were working on new CPU technology..

Yup, this guy's right as fuck

*shudders* The Acer netbooks my siblings use at school are perfect examples.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

HP (before and after buying Compaq-and Compaq after being bought by HP) or Dell. Pick your poison.

Used a HP Compaq that was around the P4 area, although it was 5+ years, it finally gave me the death as screen failed/or gpu. Switched to a Core 2 Duo Elitebook and never went back, except i bought a HP Pavilion with a APU that overheats........

HP from my experience of them putting a mid range graphics card in the system, then using torx bits to cover all of the IO of the card with black caps labelled "Do not remove." They then sealed the deal with the most unreliable PSU that didn't even have a wattage label.

As someone who's owned both Dell Alienware and Asus RoG laptops, I can say they both suck equally. Spend way less on a Lenovo.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

For consumer grade stuff DELL. 

My reason, my brother had 5 devices off them of various models from the high end range in a space of a month or two, each and every one of them got sent back with serious hardware problems, if that doesn't show how bad their quality control is I don't know what does. Once upon a time I nearly swore by dell for their stuff but alas, not any more. 

Used a HP Compaq that was around the P4 area, although it was 5+ years, it finally gave me the death as screen failed/or gpu. Switched to a Core 2 Duo Elitebook and never went back, except i bought a HP Pavilion with a APU that overheats........

Around 5 years? Mine is still going strong after 11-though the iGPU still hasn't changed-its still shit compared to my Riva TNT2 (and in the last 4 years its had a new HDD since the original Seagate had its spindle shatter after the laptop was dropped a couple of centimetres while turned off, its gone from 512MB RAM to 2GB, and its had a USB 2.0 expansion card bought for it to "replace" the 2 USB ports on 1 side that were fried by a faulty Belkin optical mouse)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Am I the only one who doesn't hate Dell? They make some damn fine monitors.

I like their monitors. My S2240m was an amazing ips monitor for the price and also overclocked decently (up to 71hz). The P2214h was a little lackluster but overclocks well (can oc to 77hz or so, but I run it at 75hz). 

HP as said a million times :P.

IBM Thinkpads are the bestest.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

Acer is good for monitors but bad for computers.

Those pcs are so cheap because they use refurbished parts in their pcs.

Sony when they still owned Vaio. Omg a laggy pos from day one. I didn't know a 1st gen i5 and 4gb of ram could be so slow. The bloatware was pretty bad too.

I have a Vaio pro 13 (2013) and it's a really good ultrabook, even after 2 years now it's still very fast.
The bloatware was pretty bad, although that is the case with many brands.

I guess every almost every company has good & bad products. For me, the worst experiences I have had with bad products (and no good ones), are Toshiba and HP, although I'm sure even they have good products.

compq bechause their buildquality is shit!

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Cyberpower because THIS: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1029123&gclid=Cj0KEQjwvJqvBRCL77m2-uKczsIBEiQAkx8VjDZ50eLHbHfLXVHRBsLs2CoYpWU2Y1DyihtqAHCJH5YaAiKy8P8HAQ&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q= IS 500 FREAKING $$$$, bad parts and service.

Edit: I just realized it comes with windows, a mouse, and a keyboard... BUT STILL 

CPU: AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($44.06 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-HD2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($39.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($19.80 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Azza Cosmas ATX Mid Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Logisys 350W Micro ATX Power Supply  ($20.98 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive  ($12.60 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($83.70 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $298.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-03 03:14 EDT-0400

Same build, 2/3 cost.

This owns it:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-HD2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($39.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($36.81 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($83.70 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $475.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-03 03:24 EDT-0400

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I bought only 5 Pre Built Computers in my Life. C64, Amiga500, 286, 386, Pentium 1. Cant remember the Brands.

When i see what Alienware want for their PC´s, i can do nothing but shake my Head.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO