Some of tech's biggest companies team up to make a new open source video format.

Wired reports that Amazon, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Mozilla, Netflix, and Cisco have teamed up to create a new video format in order to replace Adobe Flash. It is designed to work on low powered devices at an amazing quality. It will also support copy protection. The format will be released under the Apache 2.0 License which means it's open source and royalty free. It does not have a name yet.

THE LIST, WITH a few notable exceptions, is a roster of some of the biggest names in tech: Amazon, Cisco, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Mozilla and Netflix are teaming up to revamp the way video works over the Internet.

The companies have joined together as the Alliance for Open Media to create a new open source video format.

Source: http://www.wired.com/2015/09/techs-biggest-names-unite-create-new-video-format/

Interesting. I wonder if Apple will support it. JK! Probably Not :D

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

sorry i was a little late saw someone already posted this and BTW apple is not helping to develop it

sorry i was a little late saw someone already posted this and BTW apple is not helping to develop it

about what

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

google teaming up with other companies to create a open source video format

the other person didn't go as in depth, but I saw their post none the less.

actually i double checked and they didn't so i will re edit this to include the article

actually i double checked and they didn't so i will re edit this to include the article

the other person didn't go as in depth, but I saw their post none the less.

google teaming up with other companies to create a open source video format

LPT: Edit Your Posts instead of making a lot.

- Albert Einstein

LPT: Edit Your Posts instead of making a lot.

Yeah sorry about that, was thinking a little too frantically. 

Yeah sorry about that, was thinking a little too frantically. 

I do it often, i am trying to start of the habit of not doing it.

- Albert Einstein

Uhhh. HTML5 says hi. No real need for this. Please correct if wrong.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Uhhh. HTML5 says hi. No real need for this. Please correct if wrong.

A video still needs to have some kind of format for HTML5.

Oooooo. This is like a more efficient MP4 or something like that.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Oooooo. This is like a more efficient MP4 or something like that.

Yeah, and mp4 is neither open-source nor royalty-free. Think of HTML5 video like a media player built into your browser, this is not about the player, but about the thing that is being played.

Yeah, and mp4 is neither open-source nor royalty-free. Think of HTML5 video like a media player built into your browser, this is not about the player, but about the thing that is being played.

That being said. Flash actually supports h.264 video. So it's not like flash is a single codec. Flash is more like a container file and player.

This article is a bit messed up in that respect, it should be more tailored towards Google et al, trying to avoid paying h.264 licence fees. And developing an open source royalty free alternative to HEVC (h.265), so presumably they can avoid adding support for that in HTML 5.

Fantastic news. I got a bit worried when Cisco were announcing Thor because it would mean we would have 4 different formats competing (Daala, Thor, VP10 and H.266). Seems like the first 3 mentioned decided it would be better to collaborate instead of compete.

Hopefully we won't end up with 4 formats competing but we probably will. The next generation we will hopefully go down to just 2.

Edit: just saw the part about it having built in DRM... Why? Why did you have to fuck it up with useless shit like that? Whoever suggested that they implement that deserves to get kicked out of the group.

Way to ruin a potentially great format. By making it fucking defect by design.

What about webm? Am I missing something here?

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

What about webm? Am I missing something here?

Webm hasn't taken off that much, mainly because it's supported on only a handful of devices and apps natively. VLC of course is the solution to that but webm adoption is still not widespread. H265 is around the corner so that's looking good in terms of smaller 4K video, but unfortunately it's not opensource. These companies should just build on top of webm imo rather than inventing a whole new format for no valid reason imo

Edit: just saw the part about it having built in DRM... Why? Why did you have to fuck it up with useless shit like that? Whoever suggested that they implement that deserves to get kicked out of the group.

Probably only Netflix will be using it for obvious reasons, no big deal imo. At least people won't need Silverlight to use Netflix from a PC anymore.

Nice spam haus you got going there. By the way, on a PC you can edit those into a single post, then report the excess posts to the mods for deletion.

Spamhaus_logo.jpg

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

WebM

COMIC SANS

Built in sounds like it's mandatory, which it is not.

Netflix is part of this consortium. I don't think distribution companies would license their stuff for DRM-free streaming and when you just stream a video, DRM doesn't matter for a legitimate customer.

Not supporting DRM would lead to more fragmentation and slow adoption as some content providers are obliged to use it.

They implimented support to not fuck it up.

WebM

Don't take my post out of context, I was just pointing out that this will not be competing with HTML5 video which as a standard is indifferent to file types.

Good, but what's wrong with html5?

big names missing:

• Apple
  • AMD
  • nVidia

hardware decoding is quite important these days

For AMD and nVidia it's in their best interest to support as many codecs as possible natively. As for apple, who cares...? What can they bring to the table?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Good, but what's wrong with html5?

Read my previous posts in this thread, html5 video is not a file format.