Is "Alienware" REALLY BAD?

Smhole

Answer is not really just overpriced like usual. I have a alienware M14xR2 from 2012 and I put this thing under some serious torture. for instance I made it go under 24/7 rendering for a entire week and managed not to crash. The hard drive decided to die after 3 years because I just made a ton of partitions and then took it out and smashed it with a sledge hammer and in fact I am using right now because my desktop is dead. Overall it sucks now because due to all of the stuff I put it through and it really shows but I have high doubts than any of you will do that.

So the answer is: Does Alienware suck? No, the only thing that makes them suck the big one is just their pricing on it.

I also suggest you to buy something other than alienware because at the same price they would probably will give some better hardware in it  :D

i dont think anyone ever complained about them except for size/weight/battery life and price. 

and i mean, i dont like how they look but thats just me.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Their laptops aren't half-bad, the desktops are another story.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Yes, it's real bad when you can purchase a custom build PC for 30€ in 5 minutes.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

why should any PC crash if its rendering for a week?

thres nothing wrong with doing that

if a PC has a problem with that then something is seriously wrong

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Answer is not really just overpriced like usual. I have a alienware M14xR2 from 2012 and I put this thing under some serious torture. for instance I made it go under 24/7 rendering for a entire week and managed not to crash. The hard drive decided to die after 3 years because I just made a ton of partitions and then took it out and smashed it with a sledge hammer and in fact I am using right now because my desktop is dead. Overall it sucks now because due to all of the stuff I put it through and it really shows but I have high doubts than any of you will do that.

So the answer is: Does Alienware suck? No, the only thing that makes them suck the big one is just their pricing on it.

I also suggest you to buy something other than alienware because at the same price they would probably will give some better hardware in it  :D

Laptops are okay(although based on pricing I would go for MSI,ASUS,Razer,etc) but their desktops are just as bad as another other pre built PC and pricing just makes it even worse

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

why should any PC crash if its rendering for a week?

thres nothing wrong with doing that

if a PC has a problem with that then something is seriously wrong

My CX750M would probably light on fire and my CPU would overheat badly.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Laptops are okay(although based on pricing I would go for MSI,ASUS,Razer,etc) but their desktops are just as bad as another other pre built PC and pricing just makes it even worse

There are goodpriced prebuilds but the best is still to pay assembly costs.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

There are goodpriced prebuilds but the best is still to pay assembly costs.

No all pre builds are just bad and pricing is mainly horrible when you could use same specs and get a much cheaper deal building it yourself

Apart from that one Digital Storm PC that actually looks good

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

My CX750M would probably light on fire and my CPU would overheat badly.

a PSU will not light on fire even if you use it at 100% load, which your PC would not

and a CPU reaches a maximum temperature within minutes of running at 100%

so if it does not overheat when you start rendering, it will not overheat after a week of rendering

if your CPU overheats immediately when you render then you have a problem and you should fix it because thats not normal

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Their quality is pretty good. I had the original M15X die on me but it took 6+ years.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Unless you're always moving, why would you invest in an Alienware...

Why not get a gaming desktop and a portable/light laptop.

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

I used to be a huge Alienware fan until they sold out. 

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

a PSU will not light on fire even if you use it at 100% load, which your PC would not

and a CPU reaches a maximum temperature within minutes of running at 100%

so if it does not overheat when you start rendering, it will not overheat after a week of rendering

if your CPU overheats immediately when you render then you have a problem and you should fix it because thats not normal

It's a i5 760 4.5 years old so will probably die if it rendered for 1 week straight.

Playing some BO3 Beta now, cpu runs at 100% too keep up with 144FPS. Temps are about 75-80C, but I'm running my cooler passively.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

No all pre builds are just bad and pricing is mainly horrible when you could use same specs and get a much cheaper deal building it yourself

Apart from that one Digital Storm PC that actually looks good

Bullshit. I've seen prebuilds cheaper then building yourself. Also 30€ is nearly nothing, since they use Artic Silver 5 which is 10€ for a tube.

Someone here in the Netherlands can get a Gaming PC in 5 minutes without even knowing anything about PC's.

1) Go to Tweakers.net. In the Netherlands it's the most known site for comparing prices between shops for electronics. They even have ads on national TV.

2) Go to Desktop Best Buy Guide July 2015. They change between laptop and desktop's every month, so the list is never more outdated then 2 months. Actually tomorrow is 1 september, so new frest list, handpicked and discussed by the communityforum.

3) Most webshops have already the whole list prepared, all you have to do is click the checkmark for assembly which is just 30€ and then add to cart.

4) Pay like any usual online purchase.

5) Receive the PC in a few business days. You got yourself a wonderfull PC with i5-4460,GTX 970, 256GB ssd and 2TB hdd for just €1017.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Bullshit. I've seen prebuilds cheaper then building yourself. Also 30€ is nearly nothing, since they use Artic Silver 5 which is 10€ for a tube.

Someone here in the Netherlands can get a Gaming PC in 5 minutes without even knowing anything about PC's.

1) Go to Tweakers.net. In the Netherlands it's the most known site for comparing prices between shops for electronics. They even have ads on national TV.

2) Go to Desktop Best Buy Guide July 2015. They change between laptop and desktop's every month, so the list is never more outdated then 2 months. Actually tomorrow is 1 september, so new frest list, handpicked and discussed by the communityforum.

3) Most webshops have already the whole list prepared, all you have to do is click the checkmark for assembly which is just 30€ and then add to cart.

4) Pay like any usual online purchase.

5) Receive the PC in a few business days. You got yourself a wonderfull PC with i5-4460,GTX 970, 256GB ssd and 2TB hdd for just €1017.

That's not exactly what I meant by pre build

Setup

It's a i5 760 4.5 years old so will probably die if it rendered for 1 week straight.

Playing some BO3 Beta now, cpu runs at 100% too keep up with 144FPS. Temps are about 75-80C, but I'm running my cooler passively.

a CPU wont die because its working at 100% for a week

it will die if the temperatures get too high, or if you fry it with too much voltage

not because its old

Spoiler

That's not exactly what I meant by pre build

Oh yeah? Isn't it PRE-BUILD by someone else? Lol.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

it will die if the temperatures get too high, or if you fry it with too much voltage

not because its old

So a CPU can run for 100 years at stock voltage? I smell bullshit lol.

Anyways running at 1.27V @ 3.7Ghz have pushed it to 1.35V sometimes for lulz ;D

But really need a new CPU/Motherboard... but 6700K is just 4 cores so I think I'm gonna wait for Skylake-E for 6 cores :)

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

not because its old

they can die from age, but this is rare.... very rare. at least not for 20 years or so

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

So a CPU can run for 100 years at stock voltage? I smell bullshit lol.

Anyways running at 1.27V @ 3.7Ghz have pushed it to 1.35V sometimes for lulz ;D

But really need a new CPU/Motherboard... but 6700K is just 4 cores so I think I'm gonna wait for Skylake-E for 6 cores :)

not 100

maybe 20 or 30

the lower operating temperature, the longer lifespan it has

Spoiler

not 100

maybe 20 or 30

the lower operating temperature, the longer lifespan it has

Then why do people waste their money on custom watercooling. It's not like you are gonna use a CPU for more then 5 years and a GPU for more then 3.

Because I was a tech noob I tortured this CPU on stock cooler at 99C from 2011 till 2014 and it still works :)

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Then why do people waste their money on custom watercooling. It's not like you are gonna use a CPU for more then 5 years and a GPU for more then 3.

Because I was a tech noob I tortured this CPU on stock cooler at 99C from 2011 till 2014 and it still works :)

aesthetics

also for fun

its a hobby

Spoiler

Whenever I tell people who want to buy prebuilts that they should just build one, the first thing they usually tell me is that they are very busy and don't have enough time on their hands to build one, while funnily enough having enough time to utilize the hardware inside said prebuilt gaming PC for its intended purpose: gaming.

That's what I think of when I think about Alienware. They're for lazy people who have more money than sense. And who are part-moth, because they're attracted to those glowy lights that Alienwares are so well-known for having. The laptops I can tolerate (although they're not as good as most gaming laptops out there), but their desktops are simply the most disgusting things I've seen.

aesthetics

also for fun

its a hobby

Ye but I see people spending +500$ on a 4790k/970 setup or something like that instead of getting a 980Ti for that money.. 

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU