Is "Alienware" REALLY BAD?

Smhole

Their laptops aren't too terribe besides the price and the thickness vs MSI/Asus. Their desktops on the otherhand are pretty much ibuypower with better ID.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I dont think Alienware is all that bad, having owned a 2500k Alienware Aurora R3 for the last 4 years its never given me any problems. Its about to be replaced with an X99 system that I am currently buying the pasts for because I want to replace it not because I have to.  

The system I bought was supposed to cost me £1700 in 2011 but because of a discount they were running and my partner was working for a company which offered money off Dell products I paid just over £1000. My Rampage 5 Extreme and 5930K alone are a few hundred off what it cost for the entire R3

There are some downsides to owning one.

1) In the R3 at least they long ago abandoned the motherboard updates meaning that its very problematic running the latest graphic cards.

2) the cabling is very poor 

3) if a problem happens to the motherboard you either have to try and find a used OEM replacement of pull the guts out of it for a full rebuild

4) Airflow is not the best in the case

I have moved on to building my own PC's so its highly unlikely I will ever buy one of their products again

Honestly with literally everything it's just opinions. For me I don't see the point of laptops, however for most other people they see them being better than desktops. It's just personal opinion and preference at the end of the day.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

I was just talking about my horrible experience with dell and alienware before today. Here is an excert to why I hate alienware:

I had an alienware m14x and it was HORRIBLE, not in tech but quality, The first day I got it, I plugged it in and the HINGES BROKE OFF. That already was 2 weeks wasted waiting for them to fix it for me. After that it was smooth sailing for a couple more months until it broke down again. It got so bad that the tech support started breaking my computer. They left out cpu fans, didn't even fix anything, and worse. I ended up getting a full refund (2000 dollars at the time) and now im on my custom built.

I'm starting to get the feeling the m14x is just a horrible laptop because this is like the third time i heard about someone having huge problems with it.

The M14x is legendary for low quality

Congratulations, you picked the bad apple

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Yes. Mine (laptop) is falling apart and is only like a year-year and a half old. Mouse freezes, keyboard freezes, screen freezes, crashes so so often and just everything.

Alien wear are OK for laptops

And desktops.

There are cons to owning one like lack of support for modern GPU's on older systems and the higher initial cost of the desktops but frankly I am getting sick of the Alienware bashing on this and other threads.

My Desktop R3 has been bulletproof for 4 years, I can speak with experience and not pick up what I hear on forums like this.  Reading the ROG support thread for my Asus Rampage 5 Extreme indicates that it occasionally fry's the CPU due to Overvoltage at start up but Asus never gets the flak that Alienware does.  

Whenever I tell people who want to buy prebuilts that they should just build one, the first thing they usually tell me is that they are very busy and don't have enough time on their hands to build one, while funnily enough having enough time to utilize the hardware inside said prebuilt gaming PC for its intended purpose: gaming.

That's what I think of when I think about Alienware. They're for lazy people who have more money than sense. And who are part-moth, because they're attracted to those glowy lights that Alienwares are so well-known for having. The laptops I can tolerate (although they're not as good as most gaming laptops out there), but their desktops are simply the most disgusting things I've seen.

I used to be like that back in 2014, I bought a $2000 pre-built, I regret it now but I am glad in 2015 to build my own but disappointed because I am so unlucky >.< 2 dead motherboards in 2 months

Ye but I see people spending +500$ on a 4790k/970 setup or something like that instead of getting a 980Ti for that money.. 

I spent $3600+ on my computer. aka i7-5820k and 2 980 ti's + other crap, its more of people's preference when they buy a computer. Budget or all out you know :D 

So you think it's worth it for a newcomer to go trough hours of research etc instead of paying a 30€ premium for assembly costs?

The more people that join the PC Gaming community the better.

yea but one fun part IS researching parts and how the computer is built and lastly to do it yourself, but there are ways of showing people on the premium cost to be built for them yes. I think a way to be better is that to buy pre-builts should show some benchmarks and basic information to the customer to apeal of what this is for.

I spent $3600+ on my computer. aka i7-5820k and 2 980 ti's + other crap, its more of people's preference when they buy a computer. Budget or all out you know :D

Hmm 3600$ is a lot dual 980Ti is like 2000-2500$ in the US, are you including peripherals?

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

yea but one fun part IS researching parts and how the computer is built and lastly to do it yourself, but there are ways of showing people on the premium cost to be built for them yes. I think a way to be better is that to buy pre-builts should show some benchmarks and basic information to the customer to apeal of what this is for.

Umm but the way it goes here is you add the parts to your cart then add the assembly as an extra item that's all.

So no need for benchmarks.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Some people just don't want to deal with that... they might get into it later once they are fully "converted".

That's how it went for me atleast, my brother used to always build and upgrade/maintain the PC's we have had until I've built my own PC in 2011. Kinda mad that he didn't learn me lots of stuff when I was younger  :unsure:

Oh yeah, this video is always a good excuse to let someone build their own PC :D

I watched that video before, it was soooooooooooo cute :3 yep if a 5 year can do it, than ANYONE CAN! I am actually going to show my 8 year old sister to build her own $1600 PC

Hmm 3600$ is a lot dual 980Ti is like 2000-2500$ in the US, are you including peripherals?

Yep lol included keyboard, mousepad, mouse, 4K monitor, + some more shit

I watched that video before, it was soooooooooooo cute :3 yep if a 5 year can do it, than ANYONE CAN! I am actually going to show my 8 year old sister to build her own $1600 PC

Damn u guys have too much money :P

1600$ for Sims 4-machine ? :D

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Damn u guys have too much money :P

1600$ for Sims 4-machine ? :D

I would say my family is somewhat rich, rich neighborhood in california, half of family moving to New Zealand yep :D

I would say my family is somewhat rich, rich neighborhood in california, half of family moving to New Zealand yep :D

Lol you are 15 year old with 3600$ setup, I'm jelly, but I'm happy with my single 980Ti it's enough for 1440P 144hz

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I used to be like that back in 2014, I bought a $2000 pre-built, I regret it now but I am glad in 2015 to build my own but disappointed because I am so unlucky >.< 2 dead motherboards in 2 months

Ouch >.< tough luck.

It happens, i guess.

...maybe 3rd time is the charm?

I don't have much of a problem with them, but where I live, they pair a i7-5820k with a R9 270 and call it an ultimate gaming pc

And then you have to pay an extra SG$2000 for a 690. 

Really balanced

It isn't really bad, it's just really overpriced. xD

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core 12 Threads Motherboard TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING RAM 32GB Dual-Channel DDR4 GPU 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti Case be quiet! White OS Linux Mint Cinnamon

My CX750M would probably light on fire and my CPU would overheat badly.

WAT

My old Medion Prebuilt PC ran as Server a long time and i did render some incredibly large fraps file like a few days. That is with a crappy 150W OEM PSU while the CPU (Athlon x2 7750BE) used 95 W alone

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

WAT

My old Medion Prebuilt PC ran as Server a long time and i did render some incredibly large fraps file like a few days. That is with a crappy 150W OEM PSU while the CPU (Athlon x2 7750BE) used 95 W alone

OEM=shot drawn and quartered if something goes wrong with the OEM PSU and causes serious damage.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

well, this is what the inside of a "high end" alienware looks like. seeing a 120mm rad on a 2011 socket hurts.

alienware-area-51-2014-edition-internal-

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

They give you a 1500W PSU on a PC with one 980....so.....yah...

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

well, this is what the inside of a "high end" alienware looks like. seeing a 120mm rad on a 2011 socket hurts.

alienware-area-51-2014-edition-internal-

I'd be more worried about that motherboard and PSU-both are cheap POS.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL