What speakers for $2,000?

johnt

PLEASE go to www.reddit.com/r/audiophile for some help. They would love to help you, especially given the budget you have.

Honestly I'd suggest you get a pair of studio monitors. With $2,000 I'd suggest that you get something from high quality manufacturers like Event, Focal, Adam, Genelec, etc.

Edit: Didn't see you already made your choice. Well all the best and enjoy :)

I haven't committed to anything yet. Power Sound Audio provides free, no risk auditions for 30 days. If I find anything that suits me better, I might send the MTM-210's back. PSA is a smaller company, but their subwoofers are absolutely amazing for the price. Their speakers also review very well.

Thanks for the input!

It's creeping me out how right you are. You're like my voice of reason.

I don't see why the VSX-524 needs to be so large. Why can't they offer something with similar features, maybe fewer video inputs that nobody uses, but with a smaller footprint and height for the same price.

You seem to be a practical and logical "round earther," so I am talking to you as one. That allows us to align. :-) I follow both flat earth and round earth methodologies, though I did start from a purely round earth standpoint.

A new chassis means new packing materials, a new set of chassis/pcb/control parts, a different assembly method, a new user/service guide, a new set of repair parts inventory, etc. which can raise costs. These things share as many as they can with their bigger siblings to save every penny to meet that price point. Manufacturer margins on these things are razor thin, based on my past work (dealers need to get enough margins and/or perks, otherwise they won't sell the product). Besides, they don't want people to build/buy small equipment cabinets... that will be a loss of future sales for their higher models (since they would not be able to fit).

In many cases, makers don't make any money on entry level products. They continue to roll them out for market share (that gives them influence over design trends and dealer/service support). It also allows them to build a connection with the customer, who may upgrade later on (if everything goes well, then the maker can bank on customer loyalty... or proprietary part compatibility).

@Stagea what do you think of the Yamaha RX-V3000? It's fricking old, but it should be more than enough to power two speakers. I found one used on Craigslist that looks very clean. 

@Stagea what do you think of the Yamaha RX-V3000? It's fricking old, but it should be more than enough to power two speakers. I found one used on Craigslist that looks very clean.

That's a good receiver. Hookup that optical connection and you should be set. :)

The fixed cross point is a bit limiting, but it should work just fine for your use.

That's a good receiver. Hookup that optical connection and you should be set. :)

The fixed cross point is a bit limiting, but it should work just fine for your use.

Sweet!

You mean for the low frequency/subs?

Sweet!

You mean for the low frequency/subs?

Crossover meaning high pass and low pass. High pass for the mains and low pass for the subwoofer module.

Your speakers should be able to get very loud with that receiver.

Crossover meaning high pass and low pass. High pass for the mains and low pass for the subwoofer module.

Your speakers should be able to get very loud with that receiver.

Cool! I looked through the online manual and I don't think there's a way to set the cross over frequency for the subs in the receiver itself. Or maybe they called it something else back then. It's about the only negative I see so far... and it's not a big deal. I offered someone on Craigslist a pretty reasonable offer. Hopefully they will accept it.

@spwath give me some Craigslist tips!

Cool! I looked through the online manual and I don't think there's a way to set the cross over frequency for the subs in the receiver itself. Or maybe they called it something else back then. It's about the only negative I see so far... and it's not a big deal. I offered someone on Craigslist a pretty reasonable offer. Hopefully they will accept it.

@spwath give me some Craigslist tips!

It has a fixed bass management crossover frequency of 90Hz. It gets activated when you switch your main speakers to Small. 

It has a fixed bass management crossover frequency of 90Hz. It gets activated when you switch your main speakers to Small. 

Hmm that's a bit higher than I'd like... relatively minor I suppose. I probably won't even notice once my ears adjust.

Hmm that's a bit higher than I'd like... relatively minor I suppose. I probably won't even notice once my ears adjust.

I am sure there are a lot of receivers in the marketplace, if you want a lower crossover point.

If you plan to equalize your system, you might also have to do that using your computer (since this AVR has a limited DSP).

I am sure there are a lot of receivers in the marketplace, if you want a lower crossover point.

If you plan to equalize your system, you might also have to do that using your computer (since this AVR has a limited DSP).

Any software you recommend?

Any software you recommend?

Try Equalizer APO. I've never used it but it seems to have the same features as the outboard processors that I'm accustomed to. Many people like it.

As for tuning it, you can use REW together with your ears. Basic calibration microphones are affordable nowadays.

Try Equalizer APO. I've never used it but it seems to have the same features as the outboard processors that I'm accustomed to. Many people like it.

As for tuning it, you can use REW together with your ears. Basic calibration microphones are affordable nowadays.

I'll look into it.

Sadly the RX-V3000 was a no go. The first person never emailed me back, and the second said he didn't have a remote and it was a really far drive.

I found an RX-V1400 for a similar price ~$120. Seems to have about the same power supply 500w, EQ settings (that were missing from the 3000 as you brought to my attention), but it has twice the THD at 0.04% of the 3000 which is rated at 0.02%... but I'm sure I can live with that  :)

Let me know if you have any objections to the RX-V1400. I still have time to bail out of the deal.

Without really knowing much about the room you have to set them up in I would recommend, for floor standing speakers, extending your budget a bit for a pair of Vandersteen 2Ci or shopping for a mint pair of used ones.  Bookshelf sized?  I like KEF but Vandersteen might make some good smaller speakers too.  I only have experience with their full size, floor standers.

http://vandersteen.com/categories/floorstanding-loudspeakers

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

I'll look into it.

Sadly the RX-V3000 was a no go. The first person never emailed me back, and the second said he didn't have a remote and it was a really far drive.

I found an RX-V1400 for a similar price ~$120. Seems to have about the same power supply 500w, EQ settings (that were missing from the 3000 as you brought to my attention), but it has twice the THD at 0.04% of the 3000 which is rated at 0.02%... but I'm sure I can live with that  :)

Let me know if you have any objections to the RX-V1400. I still have time to bail out of the deal.

The RX-V1400 should be good too. It has a basic EQ, so even tuning by ear should be quite easy (and run the spdif bitstream in bitperfect mode). Equalizer APO is still far more powerful, but it takes more effort to perfect.

Bass management cross points are plenty enough. I suggest trying 60Hz with your target speakers if your first priority is a smooth handover. You can go to higher points for more headroom, if you so prefer.

The RX-V1400 should be good too. It has a basic EQ, so even tuning by ear should be quite easy (and run the spdif bitstream in bitperfect mode). Equalizer APO is still far more powerful, but it takes more effort to perfect.

Bass management cross points are plenty enough. I suggest trying 60Hz with your target speakers if your first priority is a smooth handover. You can go to higher points for more headroom, if you so prefer.

Bought it yesterday! Everything works pretty flawlessly. Its aesthetics are so clean. Except I can't get my subwoofers to mix when using optical. So I switched to 3.5mm to RCA and it works great. It even has separate inputs up to 7.1 if I wanted to connect my PC to it. But ehhhhhhhhhhh I don't have enough patience for 5.1/7.1 on my PC anymore.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have an "initial volume" setting. My other receiver resets to a low volume on start up, so I never have to turn it down when turning it off. Very convenient. And of course no HDMI, but I knew that going into the purchase.

The remote wasn't working great. I opened it up to clean and it had some disgusting oily substance inside. I cleaned everything off nicely, but I scratched off some of the conductive material beneath the volume buttons (most important ones!) I bought some conductive paint from Amazon to repaint. Hopefully it fixes the problem.

This thing is huge, heavy, and gets very, very hot compared to my RX-V477. I like it  :)

Without really knowing much about the room you have to set them up in I would recommend, for floor standing speakers, extending your budget a bit for a pair of Vandersteen 2Ci or shopping for a mint pair of used ones.  Bookshelf sized?  I like KEF but Vandersteen might make some good smaller speakers too.  I only have experience with their full size, floor standers.

http://vandersteen.com/categories/floorstanding-loudspeakers

Stunning products. I seriously want to hear these things. But I can't buy things that look like this. I have a wife who I would like to keep.

Bought it yesterday! Everything works pretty flawlessly. Its aesthetics are so clean. Except I can't get my subwoofers to mix when using optical. So I switched to 3.5mm to RCA and it works great. It even has separate inputs up to 7.1 if I wanted to connect my PC to it. But ehhhhhhhhhhh I don't have enough patience for 5.1/7.1 on my PC anymore.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have an "initial volume" setting. My other receiver resets to a low volume on start up, so I never have to turn it down when turning it off. Very convenient. And of course no HDMI, but I knew that going into the purchase.

The remote wasn't working great. I opened it up to clean and it had some disgusting oily substance inside. I cleaned everything off nicely, but I scratched off some of the conductive material beneath the volume buttons (most important ones!) I bought some conductive paint from Amazon to repaint. Hopefully it fixes the problem.

This thing is huge, heavy, and gets very, very hot compared to my RX-V477. I like it :)

Congrats! Select PCM for your PC's digital output then start with a setting like 16 bit / 48kHz. Make sure you're not set to Direct.

This thing is huge, heavy, and gets very, very hot compared to my RX-V477. I like it :)

If it has analog 7.1 inputs those work flawlessly with PC. Better than hdmi

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Congrats! Select PCM for your PC's digital output then start with a setting like 16 bit / 48kHz. Make sure you're not set to Direct.

You mean Stereo DSP mode? The receiver won't let me change many settings/options when using optical/PCM.  

If it has analog 7.1 inputs those work flawlessly with PC. Better than hdmi

How is it "better" than HDMI? Because you don't have a phantom screen since we were using the HDMI on the video card? 

How is it "better" than HDMI? Because you don't have a phantom screen since we were using the HDMI on the video card?

Yeah for me it just worked without any problem or having to do anything weird

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I don't have that many 3.5mm to RCA cables. I'm going to be short on speakers once my new ones arrive anyway. But yes, I agree not having a ghost screen is a little easier to work with. I might have enough room to go back to a three monitor set up (not that I really need it).

You mean Stereo DSP mode? The receiver won't let me change many settings/options when using optical/PCM.

I'd check later regarding what options are available on your unit.

Time alignment often does not work when using the multichannel inputs, however. You'd have to do it in your PC.