Intel sets to launch rest of Skylake

That's cool, now if they could actually get the 6700k out to the general public that would be awesome. I would love to see some benchmarks from regular users vs. some of the more popular websites. 

How about you make enough 6600k and 6700k chips to fill demand before you release new chips, intel?

6700k is sold out in most places I've looked at in the US and just a few places have the 6600k in stock.

Amazon and ncix both have plenty in stock. I just bought a 6700k from Amazon today.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Is there going to be a 6 or 8 core version of the skylake architecture?

Yes. Every architecture gets an E series with more cores and more PCIe lanes.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

People shooting down wanting all Intel chips sans the Pentium line with a HT i5 renders i7 useless come off as fanboys and I'm running an i5 in my system and had an i7 920 when those first launched. It's the 6th gen of these chips and Intel is still on quadcore when AMD has been releasing more cores for the masses. Ignore the single threaded performance, it's going on 2016 and the quadcore being the de facto chip really shows Intel has no competition and it's kind of sad the milking team blue is doing.

If it wasn't for wanting to give my girlfriend my Sandy Bridge rig eventually, I wouldn't even be somewhat excited for Skylake. A 6th gen main platform chip from Intel shouldn't be marginally better in the real world vs one from 4 years ago and only a fanboy could disagree. This is coming from someone who has only used Intel. At the bare minimum, all modern consumer i7's should be HT'd hex cores by now.

No they shouldn't. When the software and demand exists, Intel will supply. This is why AMD's Bulldozer strategy failed. Not only were a million corners cut in architecture design, but AMD released those chips into an ecosystem devoid of multithreaded code, let alone heavily multithreaded code. Intel had competition in 2011 and 2012, didn't provide more cores, and came out the victor. It has no reason to provide more, and a lack of competition is far from the issue. Consumer programmers don't have much competition, and they certainly don't have much drive to create multithreaded code and go through the extra validation required. They also don't have a drive to use Intel's newest instructions for better performance, and that comes from legacy support and lack of competition in programming at the consumer level. If you're playing games at such a level of quality as to need more, you are an enthusiast needing far more power than 95% of consumers. That makes you an enthusiast, and you'll go to the enthusiast platform. It's not like a 5820K with 4x4 DDR4 on an X99 board costs much more than a 6700K with 4x4 or 2x8 on a Z170 board with the same creature comforts. Quit bellyaching that Intel doesn't cater to the members of the top 5% of consumer power users who are too prideful to go with an X platform or too poor to actually afford what they want to do. Intel continues its improvements year over year, and they are huge if you have the software to leverage them. There is no difference between an E7 Xeon and a Core M core other than vPro security, hardware virtualization extensions, ECC support, and binning. Everything else is exactly the same architecturally. Everything Intel uses to fight IBM is at your disposal everywhere in the lineup apart from the aforementioned server extensions. The problem is software not keeping up.

Amazon and ncix both have plenty in stock. I just bought a 6700k from Amazon today.

For me Amazon only shows 4 3rd party sellers selling i7 6700k for $525+ and NCIX says "pre-order".

Newegg says "Out of stock" as does Microcenter.

A HyperThreaded Core i5 would render an i7 useless. That's one of the selling points of an i7.

No selling point of i7.

Wow so just marketing

That would be an i7.

If you think about it the Xeon 1231 and 1241 kinda already deem an i7 useless, if youre not gonna overclock, which you dont need to do.

Those Xeons come in around $200-$250 and you dont need to pay the premium price of Z97 or whatever other OC compatible board you would need to OC.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

If you think about it the Xeon 1231 and 1241 kinda already deem an i7 useless, if youre not gonna overclock, which you dont need to do.

Those Xeons come in around $200-$250 and you dont need to pay the premium price of Z97 or whatever other OC compatible board you would need to OC.

They're marketed to completely different industries, and with no iGPU's so they are kind of different. I see your point but, we probably going to affect sells much by buying xeons instead of i7's, If we put hyper threading in i5's (on desktop) OEM's would have no reason to go i7 other then a bigger number, it probably wouldn't even sell well compared to the i5 (prebuilts and such)

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

They're marketed to completely different industries, and with no iGPU's so they are kind of different. I see your point but, we probably going to affect sells much by buying xeons instead of i7's, If we put hyper threading in i5's (on desktop) OEM's would have no reason to go i7 other then a bigger number, it probably wouldn't even sell well compared to the i5 (prebuilts and such)

I know plenty of gamers on here who use Xeons, like I said, its basically a locked i7, no iGPU (which lets be honest, who really buys a Xeon and needs an iGPU anyway), and a lower price point :P

Although I too see where youre coming from

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

I know plenty of gamers on here who use Xeons, like I said, its basically a locked i7, no iGPU (which lets be honest, who really buys a Xeon and needs an iGPU anyway), and a lower price point :P

Although I too see where youre coming from

IGPU on Xeon is a thing with Skylake jsyk. Second, it's great for people who need heterogeneous acceleration but are also latency-bound. Those are professional applications of course, but you get the idea.

However the selling point of the i7 is the unlocked multiplie. I wouldn't say that the 1231 makes the i7 useless.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

However the selling point of the i7 is the unlocked multiplie. I wouldn't say that the 1231 makes the i7 useless.

It doesnt, but its great for content creators and streamers or people of that nature who dont care for clock speed and just want something that will work for a nice price :P

How about you make enough 6600k and 6700k chips to fill demand before you release new chips, intel?

6700k is sold out in most places I've looked at in the US and just a few places have the 6600k in stock.

That's an incredibly idiotic, self-defeating thing to ask.

The lower tier chips are chips which weren't good enough to be 6600/ 6700.

You want them to stock up on those lower tier chips so they won't have storage through which to funnel actual 6600K and 6700Ks?

Logistics isn't magic and fairy dust, and wishy thinking doesn't give you wings.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

consumer level: i7 should be 6 core, i5 should be quad core with HT, i3 should be quad core without HT, pentiums can be dual cores with hyper threading, and celerons dual cores without it.

enthusiast level chips can all be 8 cores or more.

just sayin'. things have been the same for a  long time, time to change imo

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

consumer level: i7 should be 6 core, i5 should be quad core with HT, i3 should be quad core without HT, pentiums can be dual cores with hyper threading, and celerons dual cores without it.

enthusiast level chips can all be 8 cores or more.

just sayin'. things have been the same for a  long time, time to change imo

Why? You don't have the software to leverage 6 cores. Hell you don't even have the software to fully leverage a 4790K. When software catches up and an actual demand exists, Intel will supply like it always has. There's a reason AMD's 8-core push lost them huge money. The ecosystem wasn't there, and the programmers weren't ready. Intel pushed the programming all the way back in 2000 with OpenMP, and where have we gotten in 15.66 years? We're barely getting started on multicore code.

Is there going to be a  6 or 8 core version of the skylake architecture?

In the future, yeah I don't see why not.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

Up next is the Pentium G4400, this dual core will be running at 3.3GHz, have 3MB L3 cache, and integrated graphics, HD510 with a base clock of 350MHz and dynamic frequency of up to 1050MHz. Just like all Pentiums, it will not support HT, and AES, AVX, and AVX2 instruciton sets are disabled. Both processors will have a memory controller that supports both DDR3 1600MHz and DDR4 2133MHz. TDP on both processors is 65w

There have been Pentiums in the past that have had huperthreading. I remember the Pentium 4 extreme edition had it.

Im interested in seeing what the Pentium g4400. I wonder if this will replace the 'Anniversary' edition. Can't wait for benchmarks.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

$190 i5 Skylake + H170 + GTX 950 == one damn good low cost computer.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Why do we still have different lines for mobile and desktop at 14nm? Why isnt 4cores the absolute minimum?

I`ll tell you why - cuz intels 14nm is equivalent to everyone elses 32nm. They use a different method to determine that.... and well... JUST FUCKING LIE!

Why do we still have different lines for mobile and desktop at 14nm? Why isnt 4cores the absolute minimum?

I`ll tell you why - cuz intels 14nm is equivalent to everyone elses 32nm. They use a different method to determine that.... and well... JUST FUCKING LIE!

nah intels 14 nm is around the size of other companies 20nm...but why...is the question...

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Kinda disappointed this i3 still doesn't includes iris pro 6200, we know that such i3 would beat all apus as the best htpc chip around but nope, just on the almost non existing broadwells

If I remember correctly they did announce an Intel HD Graphics 580 or something is in the pipeline which is supposed to outperform the Iris Pro 6200, though no information on what chip that'll be released on. Propably Kaby Lake, or maybe we'll get a 6775 or something 6 months from now, who knows?

Imo the high end broadwell chips are more interesting than skylake with the performance boost from skylake being so minor. I'm planning on doing a small HTPC build in the following months with the i5 5675 to use as a multimedia / light gaming system to replace my Xbox 360 which I barely use anyways.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

If I remember correctly they did announce an Intel HD Graphics 580 or something is in the pipeline which is supposed to outperform the Iris Pro 6200, though no information on what chip that'll be released on. Propably Kaby Lake, or maybe we'll get a 6775 or something 6 months from now, who knows?

Imo the high end broadwell chips are more interesting than skylake with the performance boost from skylake being so minor. I'm planning on doing a small HTPC build in the following months with the i5 5675 to use as a multimedia / light gaming system to replace my Xbox 360 which I barely use anyways.

I plan on the same thing actually :D

-------

Current Rig

-------

Nothing I currently do on desktop benefits much from Skylake. i7-4790k already rocks. I'd have to upgrade to the E series or a Xeon to see gains in... video encoding, and that's about it.

But I need a new mobile device so I'm pretty stoked for the mobile chips. More bang for the buck power efficiency and barely a need for dGPU anymore even at 1440p/4K.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

nah intels 14 nm is around the size of other companies 20nm...but why...is the question...

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/3884-who-will-lead-10nm.html

Yeah, no. Intel's 14nm is better than everyone else's by far. In fact Samsung, GloFo, and TSMC are using 20nm BEOL in their 14nm process. Intel isn't. It's a pure process. At least TSMC used 16nm as the nomenclature instead of trying to win PR points like Samsung.

There have been Pentiums in the past that have had huperthreading. I remember the Pentium 4 extreme edition had it.

Im interested in seeing what the Pentium g4400. I wonder if this will replace the 'Anniversary' edition. Can't wait for benchmarks.

They're before the Core days. You only had 2 choices, either Celeron or Pentium, so Pentium being the better cpu, will have features like Hyper Thread. But it was only up to Pentium 4. When Pentium D came out, they stop doing HT.  Since it was a dual core. thus having HT didn't make a point, when 2 physical core was better than 1 physical core and 1 virtual core. Intel brough HT back when they introduced their next gen of Core cpus, the Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7. Socket 775 Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad don't have HT, not even the Extreme Editions.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

They're before the Core days. You only had 2 choices, either Celeron or Pentium, so Pentium being the better cpu, will have features like Hyper Thread. But it was only up to Pentium 4. When Pentium D came out, they stop doing HT.  Since it was a dual core. thus having HT didn't make a point, when 2 physical core was better than 1 physical core and 1 virtual core. Intel brough HT back when they introduced their next gen of Core cpus, the Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7. Socket 775 Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad don't have HT, not even the Extreme Editions.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I always wondered why the P4 was the only one i saw back then with Hyper Threading. I remember I was bummed when I found out my P4 didn't have HT. But I still loved that thing.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..