[UPDATE - Will Not Sell Outside China] AMD Quietly Launches 370X

HKZeroFive

But isn't the 380 a redone 285?

nope its more of a 280 iirc

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

It used to be that a gpu architecture lasted at most two cycles per process node. AMD planned 28nm in the same way, and then it overstayed its welcome. I'll bet my ass there's a lot of products that got axed due to skipping 20nm, and I'll bet Fiji and Tonga were two of four chips for a release planned on 20nm. Then when 20nm fell through, development resources had to be shunted around to make the planned chips work on 28nm (I bet HBM was an absolute must to make Fiji work) and Nvidia isn't immune to this either. Maxwell probably was slated for 20nm, and they adapted their chips by cutting Doyle precision performance as opposed to adopting new memory tech.

(That was all speculation. @patrickjp93 - does all that seem feasible?)

Considering AMD scrapped a couple of low end APU's that was designed for 20nm, that is indeed very likely. Fiji was repurposed for 28nm, but I think AMD either postponed or redesigned a lot for 14/16nm FinFet instead. After all 3! new series of GPU chips have been confirmed to launch next year in the arctic island series.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

You do not recall correctly. It is a 285 re-badge.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

You do not recall correctly. It is a 285 re-badge.

ok than thanks for the correction

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Nope it's gcn 1.2 like the 285, not gcn 1.0 like the 280.

Feel like they could have at least redone the 280/7950 as the 370X in a way instead of the 7870ghz, give it an awesome price tag and it would have been a dream for budget builds (like the 600$ ones)

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

I love how AMD is having to re-badge their current cards to support DirectX 12, and yet even my GTX 650ti supports it with a simple driver update. Also, the way AMD has been quiet about their 300 series speaks volumes.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Nvidia dug for them? What about Intel? Seems to me a succession of awful decisions and terrible marketing has led to AMD being where they are now, not Nvidia doing well.

Nvidia.

AMD needs one good money maker. They essentially lost their CPU business, but that's ok because they have their GPU business. But Nvidia ruined that for them

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Nvidia.

AMD needs one good money maker. They essentially lost their CPU business, but that's ok because they have their GPU business. But Nvidia ruined that for them

How did Nvidia do any such thing? AMD's marketing being non-existent to appalling is a recurring trend, I don't see how you can blame anyone but AMD for how badly they are doing.

I love how AMD is having to re-badge their current cards to support DirectX 12, and yet even my GTX 650ti supports it with a simple driver update. Also, the way AMD has been quiet about their 300 series speaks volumes.

Everything going back to the 400 series does. If the 300 series rebadges are capable of directx 12 then so are the 200 and 7000 series versions of the same cards. At least without being artificially gimped by having driver and bios services withheld they would be. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen.

It used to be that a gpu architecture lasted at most two cycles per process node. AMD planned 28nm in the same way, and then it overstayed its welcome. I'll bet my ass there's a lot of products that got axed due to skipping 20nm, and I'll bet Fiji and Tonga were two of four chips for a release planned on 20nm. Then when 20nm fell through, development resources had to be shunted around to make the planned chips work on 28nm (I bet HBM was an absolute must to make Fiji work) and Nvidia isn't immune to this either. Maxwell probably was slated for 20nm, and they adapted their chips by cutting Doyle precision performance as opposed to adopting new memory tech.

(That was all speculation. @patrickjp93 - does all that seem feasible?)

You're exactly correct on Maxwell, which is why Pascal is a cheap architecture for Nvidia. It literally is Maxwell with double and mixed precision improvements and the tweaks to the interface needed for Async Shaders and Tier 3 Resource Binding and the like. Maxwell was planned for 20nm, so to make it fit on 28nm with all the cache sizes exploding the way they planned, Nvidia cut the stream processor widths from 64 to 32 bits, cutting physical SP size down by 2/3 (control logic scales quadratically, not linearly, so complexity becomes much more expensive the more bits you add to native width). This is also why Volta was moved back. Nvidia's pulling the same trick Intel started with tick-tock model.

HBM was far from a necessity with Fiji. Cutting back the SP count to 3584, increasing the ROPs to 96, and using a 384 or 512-bit GDDR5 interface to equal Nvidia's bandwidth (or exceed it really easily in the case of a 512-bit bus), would have yielded the same bandwidth. 512-bit at 8GHz = 512GB/s bandwidth, and Fiji's issue is not bandwidth. It's balance in the graphics pipeline. It doesn't have the memory buffer size needed for professional and enterprise compute workloads, so having all those SPs for compute power is pointless. If Fiji XT had been 3584 SPs and Fiji Pro had been 3072 and Koduri had properly balanced the design, AMD would have had a knockout, no question, but that didn't happen.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

for people saying amd provides no competition to nvidia explain how amd is offering a better choice in almost all price ranges expect the fury x and 980 ti

You're exactly correct on Maxwell, which is why Pascal is a cheap architecture for Nvidia. It literally is Maxwell with double and mixed precision improvements and the tweaks to the interface needed for Async Shaders and Tier 3 Resource Binding and the like. Maxwell was planned for 20nm, so to make it fit on 28nm with all the cache sizes exploding the way they planned, Nvidia cut the stream processor widths from 64 to 32 bits, cutting physical SP size down by 2/3 (control logic scales quadratically, not linearly, so complexity becomes much more expensive the more bits you add to native width). This is also why Volta was moved back. Nvidia's pulling the same trick Intel started with tick-tock model.

HBM was far from a necessity with Fiji. Cutting back the SP count to 3584, increasing the ROPs to 96, and using a 384 or 512-bit GDDR5 interface to equal Nvidia's bandwidth (or exceed it really easily in the case of a 512-bit bus), would have yielded the same bandwidth. 512-bit at 8GHz = 512GB/s bandwidth, and Fiji's issue is not bandwidth. It's balance in the graphics pipeline. It doesn't have the memory buffer size needed for professional and enterprise compute workloads, so having all those SPs for compute power is pointless. If Fiji XT had been 3584 SPs and Fiji Pro had been 3072 and Koduri had properly balanced the design, AMD would have had a knockout, no question, but that didn't happen.

Wouldn't the issue with a 384/512-bit gddr5 bus been more die size? also, they needed the power savings.

I agree on the ROP issues. I find it hilarious that in the one dx12 bench out so far, the 290x matches the Fury X (or almost does) because both are ROP limited hard.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Wouldn't the issue with a 384/512-bit gddr5 bus been more die size? also, they needed the power savings.

I agree on the ROP issues. I find it hilarious that in the one dx12 bench out so far, the 290x matches the Fury X (or almost does) because both are ROP limited hard.

At 384 they'd be right around the same die size they have now. 512 would push it higher.

Did they need the power savings? I kinda doubt it. For Fiji to have been successful, they needed 6GB and they needed a better balanced card. Power consumption and heat should have been back seat on the design. As a compute card, Fury/X is a pointless design due to the memory limitations. You can't keep it fed. It'll be idling a lot and have the PCIe bus choked. The CPU will be doing much more work as well. It was a horrible design all the way around.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

At 384 they'd be right around the same die size they have now. 512 would push it higher.

Did they need the power savings? I kinda doubt it. For Fiji to have been successful, they needed 6GB and they needed a better balanced card. Power consumption and heat should have been back seat on the design. As a compute card, Fury/X is a pointless design due to the memory limitations. You can't keep it fed. It'll be idling a lot and have the PCIe bus choked. The CPU will be doing much more work as well. It was a horrible design all the way around.

Ah well, I'm waiting for Greenland anyways. I have to get a new phone soon and I've already got a 290x.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I'm confused as to how they put freesync capability on the GCN 1.0 core. does this mean that the 270/x/7870 are getting freesync too? 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

UPDATE

https://www.twitter.com/Thracks/status/636958891989798912

Robert Hallock of AMD has stated that the 370X will not launch outside of China.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Still sad they called a 265 a 370, this product actually would make sense in the rest of the world. Amd what you doing?

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS