Computer Job?

Hey guys, I am trying to start saving up money for a car. I am pretty well-rounded when it comes to computers and would like to find some kind of a job working with either building computers (pretty rare chance), or consulting, fixing computers, etc. I live in California so not quite sure what the laws are for working under 16/18 but does anybody have any advice?

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

Uh, maybe post some Craigslist ads?  I don't think you can get hired anywhere at that age in the computer field. 

You'd probably have better luck applying for Walmart or a fast food joint. 

frys

nevermind just saw your age, i think you need to be at least 16

-snip-

my advice is work at mcdonalds. or freelance. pick up things on the side if you can find them. but in no way are you going to get  a job doing that with a company. 

-snip-

Maybe try the Geek Squad at Best Buy

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @4.3GHZ COOLER: Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2  MOBO: Asus Z97-E RAM: Kingston Hyper X Black 2x4GB GPU: Soon to be EVGA 1070! Case: Fractal Define S Storage:PNY 240GB SSD, 500GB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Corsair RM650x

Uh, maybe post some Craigslist ads?  I don't think you can get hired anywhere at that age in the computer field. 

You'd probably have better luck applying for WalMart or a fast food joint. 

Problem is everybody can just come to these forums for advice, idk maybe I will just have to offer to fix people's computers for cheaper than in shops or something. However nobody feels quite as assured when they hear a 14 year old is fixing their computer, even though I know what I'm doing.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

Yeah I'd just try doing it on the side, but don't expect much. Just remember to make sure you don't lose money doing it. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I started working at 16 not 14 am i the only one :/

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Honestly, without A+ Certification, you will have an impossible time landing any kind of tech job, regardless of your age and what you know. Without a piece of paper proclaiming what you can do, you are essentially worthless to an employer. I am currently 21, and have a hard time finding employment in these area's. As soon as i find a place close enough to do the A+ certification, ill finish that myself.

Either way, the best place to start at your age is word of mouth. Start by fixing family and friends computers. Eventually, when people or their friends start having issues, you will become their go-to guy. From there, business only increases. However, its not lucrative unless someone is a repeat offender on getting their machine ruined. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Honestly, without A+ Certification, you will have an impossible time landing any kind of tech job, regardless of your age and what you know. Without a piece of paper proclaiming what you can do, you are essentially worthless to an employer. I am currently 21, and have a hard time finding employment in these area's. As soon as i find a place close enough to do the A+ certification, ill finish that myself.

Either way, the best place to start at your age is word of mouth. Start by fixing family and friends computers. Eventually, when people or their friends start having issues, you will become their go-to guy. From there, business only increases. However, its not lucrative unless someone is a repeat offender on getting their machine ruined. 

That's what I figured i'd have to do, thx

That's what I figured i'd have to do, thx

Help relatives or friends on computer help then they will most likely keep asking you again you can also try buying broken computers and fixing them and selling them Good luck. This is what I did when I was 10.

offer to clean computers for 15-20 or help build computers for about 50 dollers, your not going to find a real job but by doing this it provides valuable experaince (and that matters a lot in the I.T world) and you get some money

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Make flyers with tear-off tabs. "I fix computers for $[x] an hour." Put your name and contact info on the tabs. Post them EVERYWHERE

Maybe try the Geek Squad at Best Buy

You have to be 18. 

LOL Judging by the amount of knowledge the people have on their floors, I think a 15 year old who has adequate knowledge about computers is better off selling computers at best buy than some 40 year old who is thirsty as fuck for a 5% commission. 

Legit, this guy tried to sell me a Desktop with 16 GB of RAM, a i7-4770, no GPU for $1000.

I produce music!

LOL Judging by the amount of knowledge the people have on their floors, I think a 15 year old who has adequate knowledge about computers is better off selling computers at best buy than some 40 year old who is thirsty as fuck for a 5% commission. 

Legit, this guy tried to sell me a Desktop with 16 GB of RAM, a i7-4770, no GPU for $1000.

I worked there for a year.  :D

to get hired you usually have to be at least 16 or something. however when i was your age i would be a reseller if you will.

because you can buy things and you can sell things and you dont even have to declare that as a business at your age(at least not here).

but you gotta really be clever and watch the market on what people around you want and then figure out how to it and make a profit.

i used to sell everything when i was in high school. you need a pen? sure? forgot your book? sure. need a smoke? sure. but dont get cought. need an alibi for leaving early or not koining in at P.E. well thats gonna be expensive but sure. 

once i sold some info i had on a teachers kid for the result to an exam which i had to promise not to share with anyone. then i sold that sh*t to 60 students. :D those were the times.

however sorry for that little trip into my past. all im saying is at 14 around here its almost impossible to get a job. so maybe think outside the box and find out what you can do at 14 that there is a demand for. 

hope it helps

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Problem is everybody can just come to these forums for advice, idk maybe I will just have to offer to fix people's computers for cheaper than in shops or something. However nobody feels quite as assured when they hear a 14 year old is fixing their computer, even though I know what I'm doing.

This applies to me as well.

However I'm lucky enough to be able to work for good pay doing something mostly tech related.

Sig under construction.

I worked there for a year.  :D

This might make your blood boil, but I went on a full on rampage kill mode to that salesman saying "this computer can run any game on the market"!

That is "true", but is he fucking with me?

The last thing I told him was something like "Don't fucking try to fraud other people for commission if you don't know shit about computers".

I just left that store giving him the finger after like 5 minutes of yelling at his face.

It was kind of embarrassing to see everyone look at me, but I think I made my point.

The funny thing is, I think he recognized me when I went in that same Best Buy even if that incident was like 6 months ago. He avoided me during the whole time.

His name was "Henry" or something.

I'm one of those customers who makes a rampage.....

Just don't piss me off...

I produce music!

At least you're actually saving up for a car, something you'll need. When I was your age I blew every penny I had on pot.  :D

At least you're actually saving up for a car, something you'll need. When I was your age I blew every penny I had on pot.  :D

Good for you. I spend what I get on hardware :)

Sig under construction.

This might make your blood boil, but I went on a full on rampage to that salesman saying "this computer can run any game on the market"!

That is true, but is he fucking with me?

I swear it was kind of embarrassing to see everyone look at me, but I think I made my point. 

I just left that store giving him the finger after like 5 minutes of yelling.

The funny thing is, I think he recognized me when I went in that same Best Buy even if that incident was like 6 months ago. He avoided me during the whole time.

His name was "Henry" or something.

Top kek. I don't care. I only worked there while I was in school.  :P

Top kek. I don't care. I only worked there while I was in school.  :P

-claps-

Bet you had fun there.

I produce music!