"Project Fallen" ~ Design and Development Log

MzCatieB

i need to think of in game audio a bit more... any idea's of what i could do? 

Character artist in the Games industry.

i need to think of in game audio a bit more... any idea's of what i could do? 

Depends on what you mean with "in game audio".

If you want ot experiment and get a feel for it, try doing some battle cries. You could also try playing around with the sound of footsteps, and the different characteristics they have depending on the surface the character walks on.. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Depends on what you mean with "in game audio".

If you want ot experiment and get a feel for it, try doing some battle cries. You could also try playing around with the sound of footsteps, and the different characteristics they have depending on the surface the character walks on.. 

Im thinking more music, if i had the budget i would do a full orchestra but as the budget for the game is currently £0 its kind of hard...

I do plan on reaching out to some Youtubers like Kurt Hugo Schneider for the trailer but i might not get a response... maybe i could release the clips and do it as a competition or something.

Im thinking more music, if i had the budget i would do a full orchestra but as the budget for the game is currently £0 its kind of hard...

I do plan on reaching out to some Youtubers like Kurt Hugo Schneider for the trailer but i might not get a response... maybe i could release the clips and do it as a competition or something.

Composed music is probably something that you could wait with untill a possible Kickstarter or the game get more known, so it can become a competition. You could use som CC licenced music to begin with.

Just my two cents anyway

Composed music is probably something that you could wait with untill a possible Kickstarter or the game get more known, so it can become a competition. You could use som CC licenced music to begin with.

Just my two cents anyway

Thats the plan, ALL in game audio i want to be its self to enhance the game even further, for now im concentrating on Graphics and gameplay, but i want the audio to lift it all even more.

However i still need some audio for the kickstarter trailer and i think something small but custom for that will help the game stand out. 

Thats the plan, ALL in game audio i want to be its self to enhance the game even further, for now im concentrating on Graphics and gameplay, but i want the audio to lift it all even more.

However i still need some audio for the kickstarter trailer and i think something small but custom for that will help the game stand out. 

You might be able to talk to a local spare time musician, and have him/her produce a trailer sized score for a small amount, or maybe even for free. 

Edit: @gastew15 is right. I completly forgot about Soundcloud. You might also be able to contact some of the people on there.

Heck, you could even go check out people on soundcloud, and see if they'd be willing to help, since there is a lot of good music, and musicians on there.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

My current plan is to get the first playable demo done by the end of 2014/ Early 2015, then i can do the Kickstarter to get the first section of the game done.

Im not setting this in stone as of now but that is what i have planned currently

My current plan is to get the first playable demo done by the end of 2014/ Early 2015, then i can do the Kickstarter to get the first section of the game done.

Im not setting this in stone as of now but that is what i have planned currently

Awesome, I'll have my wallet ready! :D

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Another thing, How Customisable do you like your weapons?

I have an idea that will make weapons allot more customisable compared to most games now, but i don't know if that's what you guys want

Another thing, How Customisable do you like your weapons?

I have an idea that will make weapons allot more customisable compared to most games now, but i don't know if that's what you guys want

I think it's a cool addition, but it's not really a make it, or break it feature for me, as I feel sometimes Devs spend too long on it, and then it affects the rest of the game. I do like the crazy customization of like BlackLight, but that's a bit over the top perhaps too.

I think it's a cool addition, but it's not really a make it, or break it feature for me, as I feel sometimes Devs spend too long on it, and then it affects the rest of the game. I do like the crazy customization of like BlackLight, but that's a bit over the top perhaps too.

Im thinking of doing weapons based on he parts so

Firing mechanism/ Stock/ Butt/ Barrel('s)/ Ammo Clip/ Sight

And each variation having different attributes like Weight distribution/ Mobility ext.

Example:

- Long Sniper Barrel with a small Stock will feel heavy at the tip when shooting (slower targeting / More accurate) but more mobile when moving around (faster switching and turning)

- Short Sniper barrel with a long stock will feel less heavy (Faster Targeting / Less accurate (due to shorter barrel)) but will be less mobile when moving around.

But the concept is, different weapon parts will have a + and a - to them (for balance reasons) allowing the player to fine tune their weapon to them selves.

*Scopes - the Longer the Range = the Less peripheral vision when ADS

*Barrels - Longer = more accurate shots lower, Heavier movement

*Stock - Longer = more control, Less mobility

*Butt - minor Additional Weapon control with slightly less mobility

*Firing mechanism - Different firing types (Bolt Action/Single Shot/ Burst Fire/ Full auto .ext)

*Magazine - Damage effects (Hollow point will burst on impact (Smaller internal damage), Armour piercing (higher damage to armored enemies), ext)

*Attachments - Attachment dependent will add/ take away from each of the above or add on new weapons to the gun like Shotgun/ Grenade launcher with the minus being more weight towards the end of the gun

All parts will be interchangeable so Shotgun Stocks can use a Assault/ Sniper rifle barrel, Sniper barrels can use Full Auto Firing mechanism's and so on.

I want to know people's opinions on this aswell, would this interest you?

Im thinking of doing weapons based on he parts so

Firing mechanism/ Stock/ Butt/ Barrel('s)/ Ammo Clip/ Sight

And each variation having different attributes like Weight distribution/ Mobility ext.

Example:

- Long Sniper Barrel with a small Stock will feel heavy at the tip when shooting (slower targeting / More accurate) but more mobile when moving around (faster switching and turning)

- Short Sniper barrel with a long stock will feel less heavy (Faster Targeting / Less accurate (due to shorter barrel)) but will be less mobile when moving around.

But the concept is, different weapon parts will have a + and a - to them (for balance reasons) allowing the player to fine tune their weapon to them selves.

*Scopes - the Longer the Range = the Less peripheral vision when ADS

*Barrels - Longer = more accurate shots lower, Heavier movement

*Stock - Longer = more control, Less mobility

*Butt - minor Additional Weapon control with slightly less mobility

*Firing mechanism - Different firing types (Bolt Action/Single Shot/ Burst Fire/ Full auto .ext)

*Magazine - Damage effects (Hollow point will burst on impact (Smaller internal damage), Armour piercing (higher damage to armored enemies), ext)

*Attachments - Attachment dependent will add/ take away from each of the above or add on new weapons to the gun like Shotgun/ Grenade launcher with the minus being more weight towards the end of the gun

All parts will be interchangeable so Shotgun Stocks can use a Assault/ Sniper rifle barrel, Sniper barrels can use Full Auto Firing mechanism's and so on.

I want to know people's opinions on this aswell, would this interest you?

It sound very interesting, and it's definitely something that would help the game stand out. I just think you have to think about how many different attachments you implament into the game. It can quickly become overwhelming.

It sound very interesting, and it's definitely something that would help the game stand out. I just think you have to think about how many different attachments you implament into the game. It can quickly become overwhelming.

True, the plan is for the player to either find them in game or make them in the Foundry.

Also to reduce how overwhelming it will be i will figure out a Visual layout to separate everything out and make it more relaxing.

Also i plan to add in a Leveling system to the parts so using them more will slightly reduce the - and increase the +

True, the plan is for the player to either find them in game or make them in the Foundry.

Also to reduce how overwhelming it will be i will figure out a Visual layout to separate everything out and make it more relaxing.

Also i plan to add in a Leveling system to the parts so using them more will slightly reduce the - and increase the +

Would on be forced to make several of one attachment? Like, if I want to use 4x scope on a sniper rifle and a AR, would I be able to use one on both of them or would I have to make more than one? 

And since you would use the same parts for different guns, that would probably also take away from how overwhelming it could be. 

Lastly. Will there be an in-game parts trading system? Say I have a long barrel, but really need a short barrel. My friend on the other hand have a short barrel, but need a long barrel. Would we be able to trade these in any way?

Would on be forced to make several of one attachment? Like, if I want to use 4x scope on a sniper rifle and a AR, would I be able to use one on both of them or would I have to make more than one? 

And since you would use the same parts for different guns, that would probably also take away from how overwhelming it could be. 

Lastly. Will there be an in-game parts trading system? Say I have a long barrel, but really need a short barrel. My friend on the other hand have a short barrel, but need a long barrel. Would we be able to trade these in any way?

The plan is to have Trading implemented and im thinking of setting it up so you can save multiple primary load outs.

And yes a completionist would only need 1 of each, and the Barrel will determine the overall nature of the gun, so Shotgun short/ long barrel will make the weapon fire as a shotgun, the Rounds will determine the clip, and the Firing mechanism will determine the caliber. 

Break down:

you will only need 1 type. (Scopes, Barrels, Stock ext)

You can use any of the parts multiple times and save the loadout with a Custom name.

​There will eventually be trading in the game for either parts/ designs.

I like the sound of the implementation, but I'm not sure how universal everything could be, since different weapons fire different rounds, so the barrels, and firing mechanisms are different. I guess you could simplify that by having all the assault rifles fire the same round, and same with the shotguns, sniper rifles, etc. depending on how realistic you want, since I guess they all could take the same parts because magic I dunno.. I guess that could be a bit much.

I like the sound of the implementation, but I'm not sure how universal everything could be, since different weapons fire different rounds, so the barrels, and firing mechanisms are different. I guess you could simplify that by having all the assault rifles fire the same round, and same with the shotguns, sniper rifles, etc. depending on how realistic you want, since I guess they all could take the same parts because magic I dunno.. I guess that could be a bit much.

Well... like i said, its a concept, i will work on it for the test game, but if it doesn't work i can just go back to normal weapons with average modifications

I'm always up for testing a game, bit of a coder too if that helps. :)

Im reworking some Concepts at the moment. When i get them done i will upload them to hear and the website.

But im playing with a few idea's and trying to come up with a Design style that will fit the game.

My plan is to do a character design concept art then 3d model it so you guys can get a general feel for the art style in the game.

However Game mechanics are going to take a while and i am only able to do one thing at a time currently, I recently found a job doing Content development for a small indie studio so my time is now split between that and this.

I will show some things in a few weeks time, but remember... be patient and let me get this right, and any idea i get for the game i will post them here to get your opinions.

Remember, its not a game without the story, and its not a game without the players. I want to get this right even if it takes me 2/3 years just for the art style.

i didn't know we had a game developer in the ltt forum  :o

we have a few i think.

we have a few i think.

This is in reference to a prior thing, just quoting for ease of reading and notification.

The "firing mechanism" you guys keep mentioning is referred to as the "receiver" on a weapon. 

The receiver is the part of the weapon that houses the bullet and fires it with the firing pin. 

machinegun-destruction.jpg

The parts in the center of the blue section is the receiver.

Not trying to nitpick. Just thought it was important to mention. 

The stock is the piece covering from the part you hold with the non-firing hand to the butt. 

enfield_rifle_parts_P17.jpg

Note that the part you hold with your non-firing hand and the butt can be separated, like it is with the Receiver example (two different pieces of wood/plastic). However, when it is like that, the part you hold is called the Hand Guard, as it's to prevent your hand from hurting from the heat of the barrel. 

984189.jpg?496

And btw, I think it's awesome you are so dedicated and interested in making this game "right", as you say. I love it. :D

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so i have been thinking about doing a KickStarter for the game.

I was thinking about setting it up with Minimum to get the game finished and also stretch targets,

I was thinking for a Stretch Target getting the Game 4K ready (Able to play smoothly on 4K and looking nice Low end - High end System)

Thoughts on this? Given that 4K is becoming an ever more approaching thing.

Also First Update of 2014 will be the 9th, Will be Concepts with hopefully some Render Tests depends on my workload

4K support would be great, and I think it would be good as a low stretch target (I think it sould be set low, since some people might feel like you are something game essential as "hostage").

When will you make the Kickstarter? I think that you should atleast have some concept art, an explanation of the games fundamentals and maybe even a gameplay video showcasing the games features. These are atleast my thought on these things-