Movie Studio Sues Individual Popcorn Time USERS For Infringement.

Syntaxvgm

I really hope that they beat piracy. Just for a couple of months. I'd like to see what their reactions would be when they realise that most people probably aren't going to pay to see something they aren't super interested in seeing.

they ignore numbers and facts yah know 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It's not exactly anything new, countless people have been sued for sharing copyrighted content on public torrent networks. Popcorn time uses public torrent trackers, and has been extremely well publicised in the main stream media. You'd have to be very foolish to use popcorn time without a VPN / VPS (that doesn't log). But ideally, just avoid public trackers altogether, they are a huge target for this kind of IP logging.

Also, in terms of the "IP address is no proof" argument, well, it's quite a bit of proof. They will subpoena Comcast, and get the information of the account owner that had the IP at the time of the offence, plus they will have the logs of the infringement they observed. Throw in the fact that civil legal matters require much less of a burden of proof than criminal courts, and the fact a half decent lawyer will cost thousands if you want to contest it. Then the settlement letter (usually they ask for a few thousand dollars) will look pretty damn appealing, especially if the person did in fact commit the offence.

That still means literally nothing. Your lawyer (assumming you even make it to trial and not have the case dropped straight out) will just say that an IP address is not a form of identification and that there is no way to prove that the person in court was the person who torrented that particular movie or whatever. Hell there's even precedence that an IP address isn't considered a form of ID in court.

SO Stupid

They have 0 ACTUAL Proof

no they are suing anonymous users of popcorn time 1-11, there is going to be heaps of proof that 11 unique IP addresses used the service. the issue will be proving that these users are actually real people.

Well, as far as governments are concerned, no one has any right to privacy......except them, and their corporate masters.

Not everywhere, Australia has a privacy act, that dictates how, why and for how long a corporation can mine data. that being said, the corporation has millions of dollars to create legal precedent that lets them do these things. you don't.

That still means literally nothing. Your lawyer (assumming you even make it to trial and not have the case dropped straight out) will just say that an IP address is not a form of identification and that there is no way to prove that the person in court was the person who torrented that particular movie or whatever. Hell there's even precedence that an IP address isn't considered a form of ID in court.

They can link that IP to an account with your ISP. Once that's established, they can claim that the account holder is legally responsible.

If that's their new tactic, bring it on. It's countered so easily.

Just run to the store, buy the movie (pay with cash), open it and scratch the box a bit to make it look older, take a photo of the letter with the movie's box and send them back the same day you receive the letter. Include a letter saying you already had it but were too lazy to get out of your sofa and insert the DVD, then threaten to sue them for invading your privacy and falsely accusing you.

Over here no judge will convict you of piracy if the studios can't prove beyond any doubt that you didn't already have the movie, not sure about developing countries though.

You could also stop watching those junk Adam Sandler movies, of course.

First they slap a bunch of DMCA take downs on original content on vimeo for having the same title as an Adam Sandler movie (pixels) then they do this shit. WHY DO MOVIE STUDIOS CARE SO MUCH ABOUT ADAM SANDLER MOVIES!?!?!?!?!?!?

btw this is what rotten tomatoes says about the film in question

c681bdf1869e944c2e0bec81b81e8f70.png

The Cobbler represents a slight step up from Adam Sandler's recent comedies, but while its cloying sentiment proves a more palatable substitute for his usual crass humor, it still isn't terribly compelling.

VGEFiAs.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

-snip-

(Rated 9% on rotten tomatoes)

My question is- how are these scumbags gonna prove this? What? An IP? the could be anyone in the household, OR over an open wifi network.

Or anyone using Comcast. IP addresses are recycled after all. Mine for example had a few movies listed as being downloaded from it even though I'd never actually downloaded them myself (I check my 'piracy' history after changing ISP).

IP based shit is retarded. On a few occasions I've had to request a new IP from the pool because the one I got was banned on a  forum or game server or something. 

Same, its why game servers now ban based on the CD key (or the good ones anyway, eg Halo1 servers) instead of the players IP address.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Or anyone using Comcast. IP addresses are recycled after all. Mine for example had a few movies listed as being downloaded from it even though I'd never actually downloaded them myself (I check my 'piracy' history after changing ISP).

yep it was mentioned later, I too am  a Comcast customer, pretty much same situation applies to anyone with a non-static IP 

I too am a  comcast customer. 

IP based shit is retarded. On a few occasions I've had to request a new IP from the pool because the one I got was banned on a  forum or game server or something.

muh specs 

All parts black

yep it was mentioned later, I too am  a Comcast customer, pretty much same situation applies to anyone with a non-static IP 

I too am a  comcast customer. 

If I want a new IP, I just log into my router and restart the internet connection...

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

I can understand a fine equivalent to the movies price but why so much. Also the film is probably utter sh*t like all Sandler films. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I can understand a fine equivalent to the movies price but why so much. Also the film is probably utter sh*t like all Sandler films. 

It is, just look at the reviews.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

really I think despite the fact that these users bootlegged it, the studio still owes them the cost of a ticket. 

muh specs 

All parts black

really I think despite the fact that these users bootlegged it, the studio still owes them the cost of a ticket. 

bootleg? more like hit and run. With something with reviews this bad I don't think anyone would watch more than a minute anyway. I guarantee if this ever released in theatres/cinemas (I don't follow movies so IDK) people would be rushing to the box office afterwards to get their refund.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

It should be a crime to pirate such shitty movies.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

It is, just look at the reviews.

No need to. If a film has Sandler in it, it's turd.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

SO Stupid

They have 0 ACTUAL Proof

That's the american system "guilty until proven otherwise" right? Or am I getting something wrong here?

Ducking Adam Sandler... His fault entirely.

If I got sued for watching that pile of trash Adam Sandler wants to pass off as a movie, I'd be super mad. 

This film is not even WORTH pirating

I would actually pay money not to see it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

We all deserve the world we have.

End of story.

The old "I wasn't the one driving" defence, or indeed your methods can't even properly identify the car, let alone the driver. That being said, it means more than nothing, they have somewhat reasonable proof that somebody did torrent from a particular address at a particular time. Which is why people tend to settle out of court, instead of rolling the dice. But I 100% agree that an IP address isn't good enough proof, in a criminal matter it would certainly require corroboration.

That's the american system "guilty until proven otherwise" right? Or am I getting something wrong here?

thats true.

It is now that the corporations run things. But only if you aren't a politician, CEO, or otherwise a famous person.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs