Movie Studio Sues Individual Popcorn Time USERS For Infringement.

Syntaxvgm

This is not a repost of this. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/433516-two-arrests-in-denmark-for-spreading-information-about-popcorn-time/

A whole different story this time.

http://bgr.com/2015/08/20/popcorn-time-lawsuit-the-cobbler-adam-sandler/

https://torrentfreak.com/movie-studio-sues-popcorn-time-users-in-the-u-s-150819/

http://www.ibtimes.com/popcorn-time-lawsuit-cobbler-adam-sandler-flop-sparks-copyright-litigation-spree-2059229

This time, it's not people posting a how-to website, it's people using the popcorn time service. 

This is a whole new level they are taking this, and in my opinion this is very dangerous.

GfWStTZ.jpg

“Without a doubt, each user of Popcorn Time is provided multiple notices that they are downloading and installing software for the express purpose of committing theft and contributing the ability of others to commit theft by furthering the Bit Torrent piracy network,” the complaint explains.

The filmmakers demand a permanent injunction against the defendants ordering them to stop pirating their movies. In addition, they request statutory damages of up to $150,000.

It's over. We've lost. 

The movie?

A fucking adam sandler movie. 

dtYLvmn.jpg

(Rated 9% on rotten tomatoes)

Getting caught watching an Adam Sandler movie would be embarrassing enough, but imagine actually getting sued over it.

My question is- how are these scumbags gonna prove this? What? An IP? the could be anyone in the household, OR over an open wifi network.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

lololo I purposefully avoided that shit movie on popcorn time i guess i am winning ha. (that and they cant sue me here)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

What are they going to get out of suing individual people? $150,000 in damages? I'd like to see them try to justify that. The IP doesn't even mean anything either, it doesn't prove anything. 

Maybe the film was so bad that they need to sue people in order to break even.

@Lays they found you. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

LMAO

if anything the oringal uploader. BUT still really hard to do.

What are they going to get out of suing individual people? $150,000 in damages? I'd like to see them try to justify that. The IP doesn't even mean anything either, it doesn't prove anything. 

Isn't this the same people responsible for dallas buyer's club? Think they are pro trolls. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Dynamic IP... RIP collateral damage...

linked accounts? (do you need an account to popcorn?)

LMAO COLLAT THAT WOULD BE FUNNY but the isp knows which house had which ip at what time, 

But still doesn't prove who was on the network.

no

IP based shit is retarded. On a few occasions I've had to request a new IP from the pool because the one I got was banned on a  forum or game server or something. 

muh specs 

All parts black

@Lays they found you. 

i use vpn

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Isn't this the same people responsible for dallas buyer's club? Think they are pro trolls. 

Well, it's not like anything's going to stick. Definitely not $150,000. Maybe making them buy the movie at most. They might as well just have Adam Sandler be the prosecution, that would be lesson enough. 

IP based shit is retarded. On a few occasions I've had to request a new IP from the pool because the one I got was banned on a  forum or game server or something. 

#att&t gotta love them

you keep your ip unless you want to change it 

#att&t gotta love them

you keep your ip unless you want to change it 

I generally seem to keep mine unless I keep my service shut off for a week or have a new device below the modem

muh specs 

All parts black

I generally seem to keep mine unless I keep my service shut off for a week or have a new device below the modem

Same

but generally that doesn't happen unless you want it too.

I would LOVE to see someone push through a law that damages for piracy suits cannot exceed the price of the original product.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I would LOVE to see someone push through a law that damages for piracy suits cannot exceed the price of the original product.

You sue me for pirating?

I sue you for invading my privacy 

#getrekt

Lol.

Even more lol at that movie.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

The IP doesn't even mean anything either, it doesn't prove anything

This.

Lol.

Even more lol at that movie.

Probably made by some shitty amateur company too. Even the name of the movie makes it sound like complete turd. I can bet those users only watched 2 seconds and went right back to the selection menu

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

This.

Probably made by some shitty amateur company too. Even the name of the movie makes it sound like complete turd. I can bet those users only watched 2 seconds and went right back to the selection menu

That movie isn't even worth pirating honestly. 

It's not exactly anything new, countless people have been sued for sharing copyrighted content on public torrent networks. Popcorn time uses public torrent trackers, and has been extremely well publicised in the main stream media. You'd have to be very foolish to use popcorn time without a VPN / VPS (that doesn't log). But ideally, just avoid public trackers altogether, they are a huge target for this kind of IP logging.

Also, in terms of the "IP address is no proof" argument, well, it's quite a bit of proof. They will subpoena Comcast, and get the information of the account owner that had the IP at the time of the offence, plus they will have the logs of the infringement they observed. Throw in the fact that civil legal matters require much less of a burden of proof than criminal courts, and the fact a half decent lawyer will cost thousands if you want to contest it. Then the settlement letter (usually they ask for a few thousand dollars) will look pretty damn appealing, especially if the person did in fact commit the offence.

I haven't even used popcorn time, but I do have it on my computer for whatever reason, better uninstall it now I guess.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

You sue me for pirating?

I sue you for invading my privacy 

#getrekt

Well, as far as governments are concerned, no one has any right to privacy......except them, and their corporate masters.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

SO Stupid

They have 0 ACTUAL Proof

If you are on Comcast or one of the other ISPs that is in the MPAA then they can easily get the records of your internet usage.

whether or not that proof will hold in a court is the real question.

HTID

I really hope that they beat piracy. Just for a couple of months. I'd like to see what their reactions would be when they realise that most people probably aren't going to pay to see something they aren't super interested in seeing.