Remember SOPA? Part of it is still trying to be legalized. It would make Streaming copy-righted works a felony.

Story at /.

wabrandsma writes
"From the Washington Post: 'You probably remember the online outrage over the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) copyright enforcement proposal. Last week, the Department of Commerce's Internet Policy Task Force released a report on digital copyright policy  that endorsed one piece of the controversial proposal: making the streaming of copyrighted works a felony . As it stands now, streaming a copyrighted work over the Internet is considered a violation of the public performance right. The violation is only punishable as a misdemeanor, rather than the felony charges that accompany the reproduction and distribution of copyrighted material.'"

Well, this is grim for Twitch. :| This needs to die. Now.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

How is this still alive?

Portal__Still_Alive_Album_Cove_by_SonidZ

WHY WON'T YOU JUST DIE???

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Goodby Twitch, goodby justin.tv it was nice knowing you

The question I am left with is: How will they enforce this. If I am streaming from Denmark and you are watching it in the US. Will the FBI be knocking at my door and take me to court in USA or will you be punished for watching my stream?

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Their ignorance of technology knows no bounds.

I believe that if governments want to get so involved with technology and the internet they need to get a dedicated group / thinktank for handling it. They need to employ people who actually know what they're talking about, not middle-aged technophobes who think a calculator is a product of the devil.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

wait so even with rights companies like netflix hulu youtube spotify ect ect would die? yea.. no ._.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

How is this still alive?

Lobbying. Literally that is all.

I wouldn't be rude enough to wager where you're from, but when corporations and industrial entities can emulate opinions as a population can -- things like this with widely unpopular legislation become an issue.

Their ignorance of technology knows no bounds.

I believe that if governments want to get so involved with technology and the internet they need to get a dedicated group / thinktank for handling it. They need to employ people who actually know what they're talking about, not middle-aged technophobes who think a calculator is a product of the devil.

The core issue is not that the government is wrong here. The middle-aged technophobes are placed to make decisions for us because they are supposed to be educated well enough to make the most "correct" choice. Obviously these people cannot learn everything that they need to know to make correct choices, thus they rely on others to provide information which helps them make a more informed choice on legislation.

It just so happens that they received biased information -- technically not incorrect but only partial in nature, therefore they act only on what the media industry wants them to know.

There is no monetary interest in the argument in apposition of SOPA and other legislation in the likes, so nobody bothers or sponsors that. Most of the times that there is lobbying against SOPA is when the bill or other such legislation impacts them financial in a negative manner (Netflix, Google, Amazon possibly) or as a PR stunt to buy loyalty (Google, Riot Games). 

In essence, there's no money in fighting it, so no point in it. While your suggestion would definitely help, execution of that would be extremely difficult, not even accounting for the backlash against it.

The entire concept of anti-piracy is based on voracious greed, but the argument of anti-piracy is exclusive of money/economics (Piracy & GDP, noblesss oblige on a corporate scale) and it's existence is based on the political theory and rights of a corporation. Piracy has 0 effect on the market as a whole.

Edited by helping

Error: 410

i thought SOPA had already been practically passed, but in a different form?

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

Stupid

Old

People

Alliance

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

I can't wait until all of these old people in the government are retired like they should be, and not making laws about things they don't understand.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I can't wait until all of these old people in the government are retired like they should be, and not making laws about things they don't understand.

I'm sure that old or not there will still be tons of politicians who make laws covering things they don't understand...

The core issue is not that the government is wrong here. The middle-aged technophobes are placed to make decisions for us because they are supposed to be educated well enough to make the most "correct" choice. Obviously these people cannot learn everything that they need to know to make correct choices, thus they rely on others to provide information which helps them make a more informed choice on legislation.

It just so happens that they received biased information -- technically not incorrect but only partial in nature, therefore they act only on what the media industry wants them to know.

There is no monetary interest in the argument in apposition of SOPA and other legislation in the likes, so nobody bothers or sponsors that. Most of the times that there is lobbying against SOPA is when the bill or other such legislation impacts them financial in a negative manner (Netflix, Google, Amazon possibly) or as a PR stunt to buy loyalty (Google, Riot Games). 

In essence, there's no money in fighting it, so no point in it. While your suggestion would definitely help, execution of that would be extremely difficult, not even accounting for the backlash against it.

The entire concept of anti-piracy is based on voracious greed, but the argument of anti-piracy is exclusive of money/economics (Piracy & GDP, noblesss oblige on a corporate scale) and it's existence is based on the political theory and rights of a corporation. Piracy has 0 effect on the market as a whole.

This is true, but I'm not just speaking about copyright nonsense and ignorant "piracy is terribad mmk!" attitudes - I'm referring to the government's attitude to technology as a whole.

Technology is very complicated. There are millions of different devices, tens of thousands of different types of devices and countless ways to use each and every device whether intended or unintended by their manufacturer. The implications of new technologies is a vital thing for the government to consider, as is the utilisation of technology currently available to them and the rights which ought to be available to civilians.

To do any of that with a modicum of success or insight, those responsible for it must be fully versed in the world of tech. They need to know how it works, they need to recognise the importance of it, they must acknowledge the impact which past, present and future tech developments have had / may have on the population. 

I will never believe that any government can properly understand or approach technology and the internet until such a time as they are actively employing people for such a purpose. Middle-aged politicians have presumably been educated on the likes of law, economics, literature, social studies, history and of course politics - but it's quite obvious that the majority of them were not educated in technology and its associated concepts or machinations. As such, they lack the expertise and knowledge necessary to get involved with the subject at anything beyond the most superficial of levels.

Get some educated MIT computer genius, slap a fancy title on him such as "Senior Technological Development Adviser", give him a group of computer geniuses and voila - a dedicated thinktank which can be tasked with the responsibility of undertaking any and all things tech.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

oh look another issue that spawned thanks to the government and most of the people in power living in the 20th century...

This is true, but I'm not just speaking about copyright nonsense and ignorant "piracy is terribad mmk!" attitudes - I'm referring to the government's attitude to technology as a whole.

Technology is very complicated. There are millions of different devices, tens of thousands of different types of devices and countless ways to use each and every device whether intended or unintended by their manufacturer. The implications of new technologies is a vital thing for the government to consider, as is the utilisation of technology currently available to them and the rights which ought to be available to civilians.

To do any of that with a modicum of success or insight, those responsible for it must be fully versed in the world of tech. They need to know how it works, they need to recognise the importance of it, they must acknowledge the impact which past, present and future tech developments have had / may have on the population. 

I will never believe that any government can properly understand or approach technology and the internet until such a time as they are actively employing people for such a purpose. Middle-aged politicians have presumably been educated on the likes of law, economics, literature, social studies, history and of course politics - but it's quite obvious that the majority of them were not educated in technology and its associated concepts or machinations. As such, they lack the expertise and knowledge necessary to get involved with the subject at anything beyond the most superficial of levels.

Get some educated MIT computer genius, slap a fancy title on him such as "Senior Technological Development Adviser", give him a group of computer geniuses and voila - a dedicated thinktank which can be tasked with the responsibility of undertaking any and all things tech.

Forming that as a chair of the cabinet over a sub committee, or even forming one in congress, would probably solve a lot of the problems.

I think the inherent problem that occurs is that technology is far too progressive for archaic moderate (and arguably classical conservative) American government to be effective. Bureaucracy in itself is much too polarized and technology still too esoteric for government to participate in, but I suppose the government can't really just sit there and twaddle it's thumbs despite not knowing what the hell to do about anything while being fed lies of omission by American media.

Technical education not being something standardized or valued as a part of curriculum may also be to blame. They need not be geniuses but at least literate. Both the government and the school may need some revitalization, but then again, when does it ever not? The issue may be naturally phased out as more and more of the modern generation enter politics.

Error: 410

This would just be political posturing and/or scare tactics even if it passes. Either that, or they'll be convicting millions of citizens of felony every day.

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 | MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz | CPU Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: MSI R9 280X @ 1150/1700  | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)

• 3 weeks later...

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-sopa-2013/LMzMVrQF#thank-you=p Found the petition to stop if anyone wants a link. It's close to reaching the 100,000 mark!

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

| MoBo - Sabertooth 990FX | GPU - XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Ed. @ 1.075 GHz | CPU Cooler - H100 | RAM - 16 GB Dual Channel Vengeance @ 1600 MHz (didn't care to push these...) | OS - Windows 8 Pro | Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB Boot), Samsung 830 Pro 64 GB, WD Black 1 TB, some random 320 GB from a laptop | PSU - CM Silent Hybrid Pro 850W (MDPC Sleeving) | Case - 800D | Monitors - ASUS V238H/ X Star DP2710LED | Mouse - M90 Keyboard - CM Quickfire Rapid w/ custom key caps

"When life gives you lemons, Don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!" - Cave Johnson, CEO