[Kitguru] Modding Tools for Witcher 3 Now Available

BoredErica

Source:

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/the-witcher-3-now-has-mod-tools/

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/news/12550/?

The Witcher 3’s modding tools are being hosted over on the game’s Nexus site, where you will also find other handy Witcher mods. Previous additions to the game include richer merchants, better loot drops and a few graphical alterations.

That launch is today and CDProjekt Red have annonced the launch of their modding tools. We have updated NMM to version 0.56 which includes the Witcher 3 modding support as well as fixes and optimisations for Windows 10 users of NMM. You'll need to update NMM to make use of this new functionality.

You can download the modding tools directly from our servers (no need to login to the sites to download) which also contains an official quick start guide and a sample mod creation walkthrough from CDProjekt RED.

They've also provided 4 samples mods that relate to the modding guides included in the ModKit setup package but also that anyone can use. Because the ModKit uses a specific folder in the Witcher 3 game folders for mods made with the ModKit, NMM will only work with mods made with the ModKit (so any mods made up until now for The Witcher 3 won't work with NMM). If you want to use mods made before the ModKit was released, or that do things outside of the ModKit's remit, then NMM will not be able to install these mods.

The mods for Witcher 3 have been pretty limited. I'm interested in what people can do with Witcher 3 now that the modding kit is out. Bethesda won't be releasing TES 6 anytime soon, so Witcher 3 will be our update to our open world medieval RPG modding fix.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

It's always nice to see devs release modding tools for their game.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Now you'll need even more gpu horsepower to run it, GREAT!?!?

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

It's super nice that the Nexus is being recognised by a games developer, and even hosting the official service.

Come on Bethesda, drop the Workshop.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

It's always nice to see devs release modding tools for their game.

only sensible choice if you want to keep game alive

even GTA 5 gets booring someday.

with mods? immortal.

Well yeah actually..

1. modding is not only visual

2. in a few years the game could still be relevant and good looking

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well yeah actually..

1. modding is not only visual

2. in a few years the game could still be relevant and good looking

I could hope the 980ti drops to 50% what it costs now and maybe by then, The Witcher 3 will have some amazing mods out.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Can't wait to try it some of the stuff people make.

I could hope the 980ti drops to 50% what it costs now and maybe by then, The Witcher 3 will have some amazing mods out.

look how 780ti/980 costs now

even if pascal drops tommorow, nvidia has no reason to drop prices.

we will now see better shader mods and more beautiful textures that need a titan x to run

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

we will now see better shader mods and more beautiful textures that need a titan x to run

980ti has 6gb vram. From the vram usage I've seen on Witcher 3, I doubt going over 6gb will ever happen.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

980ti has 6gb vram. From the vram usage I've seen on Witcher 3, I doubt going over 6gb will ever happen.

4k with ultra textures on has broken 6.5 GB vram

it was in the jayz2cents review

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Ok.. Lets do the math.

Lets see if 980 Ti should drop to half what is costs now in.. 3 years? 3 years sounds fine.

What came out 3 years ago? GTX 680 (approximately). Which costed at the time about 500 dollars at launch.

Now it is hard to compare prices from 3 years ago and now.. So I will compare it to the GTX 770 (same graphics chip) which is now about 236 dollars (Source)

Or something that performs better than the GTX 680, the R9 290 for 247 dollars (Source).

So yeah, it's safe to say that in about 3 years you will have 980 Ti level of performance for half that price.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ok.. Lets do the math.

Lets see if 980 Ti should drop to half what is costs now in.. 3 years? 3 years sounds fine.

What came out 3 years ago? GTX 680 (approximately). Which costed at the time about 500 dollars at launch.

Now it is hard to compare prices from 3 years ago and now.. So I will compare it to the GTX 770 (same graphics chip) which is now about 236 dollars (Source)

Or something that performs better than the GTX 680, the R9 290 for 247 dollars (Source).

So yeah, it's safe to say that in about 3 years you will have 980 Ti level of performance for half that price.

Upgrade to past flagships or new pascal... hmmmmmmmm

4k is visually identical to 2k. 2k to 1k has some differences if I view them side by side. Besides, Witcher 3 is third person.

I know more about Skyrim modding than Jay.

And finally, there's a difference between using up that much vram and needing that much vram.

Upgrade to past flagships or new pascal... hmmmmmmmm

Pascal's not close to being out at this point, no point spending brain fuel on that question.

Meh, Skyrim was no different when it came out :P

And I'm managing to run The Witcher 3 at 70 FPS, 1440p, using Ultra settings and hairworks enabled, so I've got some headroom for improvements.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

4k is visually identical to 2k. 2k to 1k has some differences if I view them side by side. Besides, Witcher 3 is third person.

4k vs 1k is a major difference in pixels to drive. from 2 million to 8 million. so the frame buffer needed to save a 4k frame is around 33 MB when 1k is ~7.5 MB

Rigs I've Built

There's one thing I want as a mod right now: Play through the entire story as Ciri. Even if it has Geralt's voice in the cut scenes I don't care

-------

Current Rig

-------

Run on a 8GB / 12GB VRAM equipped card? When a graphics card has more VRAM available, it's automatically going to occupy more of it when it's available. I've seen this myself running same settings on my 780ti and 980ti. The 780ti with 3GB of VRAM uses much less memory compared to my 980ti with 6GB of VRAM. The difference running same settings on these cards at 4K resulted in a difference in memory usage of close to 2GB... 

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

I was thinking, replace Roach with a unicorn. Also named Roach.

Somebody mentioned 'dat booty', and I just remembered all the naughty mods people can make now.  :o

According to Gopher's video, the kit is still not fully fledged. We'll see what state the kit is in in a month based upon the mods release by then.

Meh, Skyrim was no different when it came out :P

And I'm managing to run The Witcher 3 at 70 FPS, 1440p, using Ultra settings and hairworks enabled, so I've got some headroom for improvements.

70fps minimum? I don't know about you, but no matter what I always tune my games to have a minimum of 60fps.

Think that was Shadow Of Mordor.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I've broken over 4 gigs of VRAM on my 980 within 15 mins of moderately modded skyrim. (just went to Nexus and grabbed the most popular visual mods + unofficial patches). So it's actually pretty easy.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

I've broken over 4 gigs of VRAM on my 980 within 15 mins of moderately modded skyrim. (just went to Nexus and grabbed the most popular visual mods + unofficial patches). So it's actually pretty easy.

I'm going to need a more detailed description than that.