The time when SSD capacity is becoming higher than HDD capacity

WereCat

Source:

http://dsl.sk/article.php?article=17354

(Sorry if repost I havent seen it in here).

Samsung this week on the Flash Memory Summit showcased new 2.5" SSD with a record capacity of 15.36TB. The SSD was named PM1633a (this may not be the name of real product) and it has three times higher capacity than the current record breaking SSDs which are 5TB-6TB and it has still even more capacity than current record breaking HDDs which are at 10TB.

Disk is builded on new 48-layer 32GB 3D TLC flash made by Samsung. They started production of these this week. They havent said how many of these flash chips is actualy used in the SSD but for 15.36TB they need to use minimum of 480 flash chips.

There were not announced any other specs of this disk (write speed, read speed, ...etc). Price of the disk is not announced as well.

2015-08-11-samsung-nand-1.jpg

Well, that is really massive capacity for SSD. I hope this will drive prices of current SSDs drasticaly down. I expect this SSD to cost a lot of money so most likely no one will be able to afford it for consumer use for any time soon but I think that HDD manufacturers are starting to get in big trouble when this comes to a market.

Builded?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Damn ... no wonder I havent found it when I was typing 15TB into search :D

Yeah, I made that mistake too

So I did manual searching through the pages

Why doesn't Western Digital make SSDs :/

Good. They would make terrible SSDs, just like their HDDs.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Why doesn't Western Digital make SSDs :/

@Captain_WD

Good. They would make terrible SSDs, just like their HDDs.

Yay, we have a fanboy!

I had no clue they exist.

But they are very expensive outside of US.

€250 here. I see no reason to buy it even for a laptop at that price.

But they are very expensive outside of US.

€250 here. I see no reason to buy it even for a laptop at that price.

Oh. I'll just stick to Samsung 850 Pro SSDs for my boot drives and WD Blue HDDs for files.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes