Worth waiting for AM4 CPUs?

pckid

I am currently running an Athlon X4 860K in my pc and is it worth saving up for the Zen processors that are supposed to come out next year.

If you can get the money now, get Skylake, Haswell or Broadwell. If you have to save, then wait for Zen and see how it does.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

If you can get the money now, get Skylake, Haswell or Broadwell. If you have to save, then wait for Zen and see how it does.

I heard they were goin to be clocked at 6GHz!

In light of AMD's last architectural releases beginning with Bulldozer, I'm going to say you're better off just switching to Intel's platform. That being said, AMD may release something worthwhile, but considering their budget is much lower than Intel's, I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath either.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That doesn't mean anything. The 9590 is clocked at 5 and doesn't even touch a 4790K.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

That makes me think they have poor IPC.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Idk, they were initially rumoured to come out November 2014, then April 2015. Who knows when they are coming, hopes that they are coming out next year are illusive imo.

If you wanna build a computer, the 8350 is a good option still but I'd go Intel because they still have their shit together.

In light of AMD's last architectural releases beginning with Bulldozer, I'm going to say you're better off just switching to Intel's platform. That being said, AMD may release something worthwhile, but considering their budget is much lower than Intel's, I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath either.

AMD said they were going to be twice as fast as the Bulldozer architecture.

Idk, they were initially rumoured to come out November 2014, then April 2015. Who knows when they are coming, hopes that they are coming out next year are illusive imo.

If you wanna build a computer, the 8350 is a good option still but I'd go Intel because they still have their shit together.

I already have an Athlon X4 860K at 4.2Ghz

*shudders* shades of Netburst and bulldozer.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They're confirmed for 2016. Also, a 4690K build costs the same if not very little more and decimates the 8350 in single threaded workloads.

That may or may not be true, you just have to wait and see.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If a salesman told you that one umbrella was "twice as waterproof" as another umbrella, would you buy that umbrella therefore just because of what the salesman said?

imo it's a load of horse.

Or around the performance of Haswell.

PMSL

Just like AMD said they were going to destroy "the competition" aka Intel with said Bulldozer architecture or destroy the Titan X with Fiji....They didn't do either of those things. I'm not saying they're wrong or lying, but rather, be skeptical of their claims. Though, I would do that with any company anyways.

Just like AMD said they were going to destroy "the competition" aka Intel with said Bulldozer architecture or destroy the Titan X with Fiji....They didn't do either of those things.

Which is why no one should believe what AMD says at the moment. Keep an eye out yes just in case things change, but otherwise they just can't be trusted. (I want the AMD 386 DX-40 days back :( )

PMSL

Just like AMD said they were going to destroy "the competition" aka Intel with said Bulldozer architecture or destroy the Titan X with Fiji....They didn't do either of those things.

AMD needs to do something big because they are 74% likely to go bankrupt where Intel is only 10% likely to go bankrupt.

Just like AMD said they were going to destroy "the competition" aka Intel with said Bulldozer architecture or destroy the Titan X with Fiji....They didn't do either of those things. I'm not saying they're wrong or lying, but rather, be skeptical of their claims. Though, I would do that with any company anyways.

They gave us actual numbers this time at least, 40% better IPC than steamroller, from AMD's mouth. That puts it about 60% better than Piledriver (FX-8350/9590), at equal frequency. We'll see though.

from numbers they are suppose to compare ipc to haswell chips, and have more cores, while I don't think they are lying that was their goal they will probably only reach sandy bridge IPC with more cores. which is still good, but just not great.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

from numbers they are suppose to compare ipc to haswell chips, and have more cores, while I don't think they are lying that was their goal they will probably only reach sandy bridge IPC with more cores. which is still good, but just not great.

I think the Zen is supposed to be a quad core with 8mb of l3 cache

I think the Zen is supposed to be a quad core with 8mb of l3 cache

According to AMD they are suppose to be quad to octo core chips and there is a rumor of...a... (HUGE MAYBE for a 16 core chip)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

According to AMD they are suppose to be quad to octo core chips and there is a rumor of...a... (HUGE MAYBE for a 16 core chip)

Another reason I might upgrade to Zen is the cool features on motherboards that it might get that high end Intel motherboards have.

16 CORE?!?!

Sorry.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

Another reason I might upgrade to Zen is the cool features on motherboards that it might get that high end Intel motherboards have.

Honestly if you don't have the money to upgrade by December, I'd wait it out until Zen launches anyway. We are going to see a price war or something good from amd and intel. After all AMD needs to play a royal flush or fold, but I wonder what Intel will do?

The Vinyl Decal guy.