Finding the keyboard that fits

I've been looking for a full backlight slim keyboard for a while, in the style of a laptop keyboard, but I can't seem to find anything that fits those requirements ( It can be max 40cm wide ),

I'm looking for something like these ( chicklet ), but they seem impossible to find ( they seem to be considered "cheap" alternatives on the desktop side ), could one maybe be converted to usb ? Or are there portable keyboard like it ?

ASUS-ROG-G751-High-End-Gaming-Laptop-wit

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

So you're looking for those chicklet keys too? (Those flat ones, as opposed to regular desk keyboard ones)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So you're looking for those chicklet keys too? (Those flat ones, as opposed to regular desk keyboard ones)

Yes

I've been looking for a full backlight slim keyboard for a while, in the style of a laptop keyboard, but I can't seem to find anything that fits those requirements ( It can be max 30cm wide ),

I'm looking for something like these, but they seem impossible to find, could one maybe be converted to usb ? Or are there portable keyboard like it ?

ASUS-ROG-G751-High-End-Gaming-Laptop-wit

Just letting you know that that example you have there is probably 40 cm wide.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just letting you know that that example you have there is probably 40 cm wide.

Jesus I have been derping all along,

I've swapped the length and width ( my design was 41 deep by 31 wide, and it's the other way ) can't beleive I didn't notice.

I'l modify the thread, I still need a keyboard, but it has to be 40cm wide :P

Look up the Perixx Periboard 411

Man perixx has a lot of interesting stuff

I'l look at them, but I really want a keyboard with a keypad

Man perixx has a lot of interesting stuff

I'l look at them, but I really want a keyboard with a keypad

You can get one separate and have it plugged in for when you need it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

You can get one separate and have it plugged in for when you need it.

The thing is that I need to fit in the bag, and the bag is 35x25cm, so 40cm is already pushing it ( but it works as I tested it with a piece of cardboard ) ( I have to put the keyboard in diagonally for it to fit )

Why does it have to be backlit?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Why does it have to be backlit?

Convenience + it gurarantees that the keyboard is at least of a certain quality

Convenience + it gurarantees that the keyboard is at least of a certain quality

It doesn't guarantee anything about quality. And honestly, if you can touch type, there is really no need for backlighting. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

It doesn't guarantee anything about quality. And honestly, if you can touch type, there is really no need for backlighting. 

That's true, but backlight is a big positive, If the keyboard is perfect in every other way but isn't backlight, then that will be fine, but I have yet to find a full chiclet keyboard that is ~40cm wide,

http://www.amazon.fr/Redragon-K502-R%C3%A9tro-%C3%A9clairage-Commutable-Couleurs/dp/B00SKR7D7S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439368616&sr=8-2&keywords=Redragon+Karura+K502

This one is the closest ^^

http://www.amazon.fr/Razer-Deathstalker-Clavier-Gaming-AZERTY/dp/B00AN50B9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439369253&sr=8-1&keywords=razer+deathstalker

This one is massive ^^

Keeping in mind that I'm probably going to take the keyboard appart to place it in an enclosure, so I can always just cut the excess plastic of the keyboard

snip...

Take out the backlighting, and this is exactly what you want: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5D52WA4804&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Home+Gadgets-_-9SIA5D52WA4804&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3auuBRDj1LnQyLjy-4sBEiQAKPU_vcGRlY-ACKwHHKlB9WBg02FbS42BxUzdIrK2Yx6nVDYaAgyt8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

The actual product page is this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10809&cs_id=1080903&p_id=9276&seq=1&format=2

For some reason, monoprice is out of stock, but newegg isn't, lol!

Also, I realize you're in belgium, just try to find it in the EU? Maybe an ebay seller will sell one to you?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Take out the backlighting, and this is exactly what you want: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5D52WA4804&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Home+Gadgets-_-9SIA5D52WA4804&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3auuBRDj1LnQyLjy-4sBEiQAKPU_vcGRlY-ACKwHHKlB9WBg02FbS42BxUzdIrK2Yx6nVDYaAgyt8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

The actual product page is this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10809&cs_id=1080903&p_id=9276&seq=1&format=2

For some reason, monoprice is out of stock, but newegg isn't, lol!

Also, I realize you're in belgium, just try to find it in the EU? Maybe an ebay seller will sell one to you?

Man that's a perfect size,

I'l see if I can maybe get one to test, as it looks quite ugly and low quality, but at 8$ it's worth the try.

@STRMfrmXMN

@Curufinwe_wins

@Minibois

@KaminKevCrew

Would you consider adapting a laptop keyboard to usb a feasable thing ? looking online, it seems hard / impossible, but there are barebone laptop's that have multiple keyboard options.

I would imagine that most laptops have the microcontroller for the keyboard built into the motherboard of the laptop

Adapting something like this http://www.replacedirect.be/product/P0095311/hp-laptop-toetsenbord-be-incl-frame/pn/535798-A41.html?utm_source=beslist.be&utm_medium=prijsvergelijk&utm_campaign=beslist.be&utm_content=15355-649B78BB-5CE9-430C-BFF1-47430E01CF63&kwd_id=15355-649B78BB-5CE9-430C-BFF1-47430E01CF63

Man that's a perfect size,

I'l see if I can maybe get one to test, as it looks quite ugly and low quality, but at 8$ it's worth the try.

@STRMfrmXMN

@Curufinwe_wins

@Minibois

@KaminKevCrew

Would you consider adapting a laptop keyboard to usb a feasable thing ? looking online, it seems hard / impossible, but there are barebone laptop's that have multiple keyboard options.

I would imagine that most laptops have the microcontroller for the keyboard built into the motherboard of the laptop

Adapting something like this http://www.replacedirect.be/product/P0095311/hp-laptop-toetsenbord-be-incl-frame/pn/535798-A41.html?utm_source=beslist.be&utm_medium=prijsvergelijk&utm_campaign=beslist.be&utm_content=15355-649B78BB-5CE9-430C-BFF1-47430E01CF63&kwd_id=15355-649B78BB-5CE9-430C-BFF1-47430E01CF63

Laptop keyboards are PS2 adapted somehow into the motherboard of a laptop. Check the device manager on a Windows laptop to see what I mean.

I would think it's possible but you would more than likely need soldering skills as well as a shit-ton of adapters to make it work.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Laptop keyboards are PS2 adapted somehow into the motherboard of a laptop. Check the device manager on a Windows laptop to see what I mean.

I would think it's possible but you would more than likely need soldering skills as well as a shit-ton of adapters to make it work.

If they are ps/2 with a different plug, that would be a very, very easy fix. I can't imagine it would be terribly hard to setup a laptop with a new controller... Plenty of people have done that with teensy arduinos before.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

soldering / tinkering I have :P 

I just don't have the datasheets,

adapters,

or coding knowledge :/

I was just hoping that barebones laptops would use internal usb or something like that ( PS2 can carry the RGB for the keyboards ? )

soldering / tinkering I have :P

I just don't have the datasheets,

adapters,

or coding knowledge :/

I was just hoping that barebones laptops would use internal usb or something like that ( PS2 can carry the RGB for the keyboards ? )

I dunno exactly how this works TBH but from what I know most laptop keyboards are PS2. RGB can't be carried over PS2 AFAIK? Don't know for sure.

Maybe ask @TheProfosist or @Charger since then do keyboard making things?

If they are ps/2 with a different plug, that would be a very, very easy fix. I can't imagine it would be terribly hard to setup a laptop with a new controller... Plenty of people have done that with teensy arduinos before.

I have an arduino and a raspberry pi,

but it would be best if I didn't have to dedicate one to the keyboard.

That said, I do have an old laptop keyboard from a ~2012 laptop, but it has a lot of connections ( not just the few you would expect )

I'l go for a search online for a few tutorials, maybe I'l be lucky

I dunno exactly how this works TBH but from what I know most laptop keyboards are PS2. RGB can't be carried over PS2 AFAIK? Don't know for sure.

Maybe ask @TheProfosist or @Charger since then do keyboard making things?

I dont even own a keyboard that is even back lit so i don't know. I see no point in flashy lights i just touch type.

I have an arduino and a raspberry pi,

but it would be best if I didn't have to dedicate one to the keyboard.

That said, I do have an old laptop keyboard from a ~2012 laptop, but it has a lot of connections ( not just the few you would expect )

I'l go for a search online for a few tutorials, maybe I'l be lucky

you wouldnt want to use an arduino or a raspberry pi but a teensy 2.0 or a pro micro they are small arduino / arduino compatible boards. You can get a pro micro for like $5 from china on ebay. As for if you can make it work no idea but maybe.

if you just want a laptop style keyboard get an apple keyboard or one of the thinkpad usb keyboards

I dont even own a keyboard that is even back lit so i don't know. I see no point in flashy lights i just touch type.

you wouldnt want to use an arduino or a raspberry pi but a teensy 2.0 or a pro micro they are small arduino / arduino compatible boards. You can get a pro micro for like $5 from china on ebay. As for if you can make it work no idea but maybe.

if you just want a laptop style keyboard get an apple keyboard or one of the thinkpad usb keyboards

I don't think an adapter is ideal ( for my scenario )

I was hoping to find a good looking / nice keyboard ( the end idea is to offer it to my brother ) with the laptop

The apple keyboard?

Razer Deathstauker?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Because "#yologamerswag420mlgl33tg8mer"

But yeah, stupid.

I don't have a backlight keyboard either

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."