Tesla burning Cash

jos

I'm sure they're doing alright, Tesla has received over $4.9 billion in tax payer money.

It is not the money the govt gave them,,, tax breaks, factory construction, discounted loans and environmental credits basically it is subsidies.. The construction incentive is 1.3 billion for the construction by Tesla of a giant battery factory.. they get that money in 20 years if the economic output from that factory of about $5 billion a year. The news of 4.9 billion in 1st June and as of 30th June the company only had 1.15 billion

The best way to explain this is the playstation 3. It caused sony to lose money when they sold one, they then made money after a year or of selling that same hardware as i got cheaper, they also got noticed.

Tesla are playing the long game not the short one. The fools that made that article are very short sighted

also Elon knows how to play the do great things with no money game. space x is doing good now for almost having to sell the company.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

The best way to explain this is the playstation 3. It caused sony to lose money when they sold one, they then made money after a year or of selling that same hardware as i got cheaper, they also got noticed.

Tesla are playing the long game not the short one. The fools that made that article are very short sighted

I laughed.

A lot of SpaceX's money is for actual projects that are funded by different sources such as NASA and such. If it's his (elon's) own money (few millions at max) were put in then it was fine, but taking millions from one company and putting into another company is not legal without a actual deal made. 

Just like to point out that Elon's current net worth is over $13 Billion USD (As of June 2015)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk#cite_note-6

If he needed to invest more of his own money, then he will. A few millions at max? Are you kidding? No. If he needs to drop another Billion USD into Tesla, he won't even bat an eyelash, because he believes in the company that much.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The way they are burning cash we wont be waiting another year to hear if he does or not. They won't be around if he doesn't.

Tesla's real business will be batteries. The future of profits at tesla will be battery technology. The biggest obstacle with renewables is the surges in power to the grid at certain times of the day when it is not needed. In China wind energy cause problems for power grids since it is only at certain times in the day that the wind is producing energy. Tesla's capacity to produce batteries is the future of its business. The car business will have to survive long enough to overtake the gasoline car market (in cost efficiency).

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

I heard they won't make any profit until 2025.

Super cars do the same thing.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

windows 10 maybe? xD

a year of rnd without no immediate payback

If you think that Windows 10 took one year to develop then you're kinda silly

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

If you think that Windows 10 took one year to develop then you're kinda silly

well I mean it was in beta for like 10 months "development"

Just like to point out that Elon's current net worth is over $13 Billion USD (As of June 2015)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk#cite_note-6

If he needed to invest more of his own money, then he will. A few millions at max? Are you kidding? No. If he needs to drop another Billion USD into Tesla, he won't even bat an eyelash, because he believes in the company that much.

He used most of his actual money on keeping tesla from going under last time in like 2006-2007, Most of that networth is pretty much just stocks he owns. None of his companies have sold since paypal in 2003. He made 1$ in 2014 so yeah he has a like maybe few tens of millions but not much more to actually work with. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

good. burn it into the ground. anything tesla or musk related is annoying; subsidizing toys for the rich is more annoying.

Define R5 Black Window || i5 4690K || Scythe Kotetsu || Asus Maximus VII Gene || Kingston Fury 8GB || EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 || EVGA G2 750W || SSD/HDD/ODD

Poor Tesla :(

Theyll come back with good stuff and as time goes on their tech will only become mainstream and more people will be able to afford it and Tesla will be in a better spot financially :D

I hope to see Tesla become a much more common household car vendor in the next few years, maybe by the time I get to drive?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

good. burn it into the ground. anything tesla or musk related is annoying; subsidizing toys for the rich is more annoying.

id thumbs down this if i could.

musk is easily one of the most important people right now and he's doing really awesome things. there is a reason he is called the real life tony stark.

oh and tesla, ya they'll be profitable, it's only a matter of time. 

Solarcity is affordable to the middle class, Model 3 is 35,000 which isn't costly for a good quality car, SpaceX is changing the 50 year old space industry. 

He created Paypal.

Ignorant comments like yours are the most annoying on this forum. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

well I mean it was in beta for like 10 months "development"

It was in development for almost a year before the preview (beta) was released.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

id thumbs down this if i could.

musk is easily one of the most important people right now and he's doing really awesome things. there is a reason he is called the real life tony stark.

oh and tesla, ya they'll be profitable, it's only a matter of time. 

I quite agree, 

I want Tesla to succeed, I mean I am not against gasoline cars but to be realistic fossil fuels are finite but still power is power whether its fossil, renewable, etc. 

Electric cars are essentially more efficient than gasoline engines where power to the wheel is almost/nearly 1-1 power ratio at 97-99% I think. (correct me if I am wrong), gasoline engines power ratio is <1-1 ratio about 90-93%. Electric engine can put more torque directly to the drive wheel by design. (This is my understanding and please someone correct me if I am incorrect on the numbers.)

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

-snip-

I'm not rooting for musk because i dislike fossil fuels global warming.

I am rooting for tesla cuz internal combustion engines are an economical scam. They cost a lot to maintain, the fuel (oil) is controlled by an international cartel, oh and did i mention they make a ton of pollution that i breath in. 

like i said, musk is doing some really cool things right now. 

I quite agree, 

I want Tesla to succeed, I mean I am not against gasoline cars but to be realistic fossil fuels are finite but still power is power whether its fossil, renewable, etc. 

Electric cars are essentially more efficient than gasoline engines where power to the wheel is almost/nearly 1-1 power ratio at 97-99% I think. (correct me if I am wrong), gasoline engines power ratio is <1-1 ratio about 90-93%. Electric engine can put more torque directly to the drive wheel by design. (This is my understanding and please someone correct me if I am incorrect on the numbers.)

mechanic checkin in.

EVs (electric vehicles) have instantly torque so they are incredibly convenient to drive on the street. Think V8 on boost. 

ICEs (internal combustion engines) generate peak in a narrow power-band. 

Also EVs are much more reliable as they have less mechanic parts. 

-snip-

I love my gas burner but utilizing electricity in this manor makes just as much sense. If you follow the tech behind the cars battery Tesla is years ahead of everyone else. They have made break-thrus that no one has done in years, before the battery has not changed much.

Now I know that we need to find a much better(efficient) way of creating electricity or just creating sources of power (fusion reactors?) I mean the first 3 voyager satellites that were sent out used a pop can sized fission core to produce the needed power out-put for its flight out of the solar system, why cant we improve on these designs and make them safe for everyday use? I know I am referring also to sci-fi here but we are not that far away from such things. But if we started doing this everybody will go on the freak out train and say Oh God we can't do that! it will kill us all!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhh!       /s

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@bomerr & @SansVarnic I wouldn't waste your time sparking an argument with a person that has clearly come to an extremely one sided conclusion.

OT: Whether or not Electric cars are the right way to go, Atleast they get something for being willing to further expand the industry by offering their patents. 

Computing enthusiast. 

Sony made up for the loss on every console sold by selling each game, an item of no intrinsic value, for £40 - £50 each. What equivalent would Tesla do here?

False, Tesla is not losing 4k$ on each car sold. They have a profit margin of about 25% for each car. They are losing money because they are building a 2nd assembly line for model x and a damn gigafactory. So much misinformation...gods.

to keep it high-level, you must mine the materials necessary to make batteries. how do you think that happens? with other electric-powered machinery? and how are those minerals delivered? how are roads laid down for the great techno-salesman-dujour's teslas? how are all those batteries disposed of? how are those batteries charged up? by other batteries? by wind? (lol).

how is this "wealthy person with a twitter account" doing really cool things again? you must mean exploding space launches, and setting his cars on fire, i guess. he's that good!

Define R5 Black Window || i5 4690K || Scythe Kotetsu || Asus Maximus VII Gene || Kingston Fury 8GB || EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 || EVGA G2 750W || SSD/HDD/ODD

to keep it high-level, you must mine the materials necessary to make batteries. how do you think that happens? with other electric-powered machinery? and how are those minerals delivered? how are roads laid down for the great techno-salesman-dujour's teslas? how are all those batteries disposed of? how are those batteries charged up? by other batteries? by wind? (lol).

how is this "wealthy person with a twitter account" doing really cool things again? you must mean exploding space launches, and setting his cars on fire, i guess. he's that good!

even a coal fire plant is better than an exhaust pipe. If you're in California then you should know how bad the smog gets in the inland empire. 

GM has the best chance of making a mainstream electric car, the Bolt is interesting, but they need to keep working to bring the price down

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R