Are other GTX 970 owners getting crashes in Witcher 3?

SteveGrabowski0

GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 (2974-KR)

ASIC Quality: 69.8%

POWER: Antec Neo Eco 620C (rebranded Seasonic S12II 620)

DRIVERS: 353.30

OTHER DETAILS:

. Core clock at stock 1165 MHz base / 1367 MHz boost

. power limit set at 100% TDP in MSI Afterburer

. fan curve set to keep core under 65C at all times (the default EVGA fan profile lets it get to 74C)

. playing Witcher 3 with patch 1.07

I get crashes requiring powering the system off sometimes when I step on the balcony at the very beginning of the game. This becomes almost automatic if I put any kind of overclock on the card or turn up the power limit past the default 100% TDP. At stock sometimes it crashes when I step out on the balcony, sometimes it doesn't.

Having got past that, I now get crashes to the desktop on average every say 4 hours of regular gameplay running everything at stock. These crashes aren't hard crashes like with the balcony, but crashes to the desktop where the audio will still play but I have to go kill the process in the task manager.

I have also gotten crashes in the past on Dragon Age Inquisition. They always happened when closing a rift and having to fight this one type of enemy that jumps around and shoots ice. I always wrote those crashes off as being the game's fault, but now that I'm getting the same crap in Witcher 3 I'm starting to wonder if the card is the problem instead.

I even got a crash to the desktop before running Unigine Valley at stock settings all the way (e.g., core, voltage, power limit, memory).

So not only is this card a crap overclocker (+51 MHz core, +0 MHz mem on +15 mv vcore), but even at stock I'm getting problems. Is anyone else here getting crashes on Witcher 3 with their GTX 970?

Not me. I started the game in 1.06 and actually played most of the game with 1.07 and the previous driver. No crashes at all. Try updating, as said othertomperson said.

Not me. I started the game in 1.06 and actually played most of the game with 1.07 and the previous driver. No crashes at all. Try updating, as said othertomperson said.

I had these crashes on the balcony in 1.04, 1.06, and 1.07. I didn't want to try any of the older versions. Which specific driver were you running?

Did you personally have crashes in 353.30? No problems in 353.62?

I can't speak for The Witcher 3 specifically because I don't have it. What I can speak for is the general stability of 353.62 compared with 353.30. The new driver is much better.

Have witcher 3 and nor old nor new driver crashed for me even once.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

I'll try out 353.62 and see how Witcher 3 runs. Though this issue has been happening on older drivers like 352.86 also based on what people were saying on the EVGA forums. I'm really leery about Nvidia drivers lately ever since 352.86 and beyond have caused crashes in Chrome with hardware acceleration on (though they're a lot more stable than 352.86 when it comes to Chrome).

So much for Nvidia drivers being better :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I had these crashes on the balcony in 1.04, 1.06, and 1.07. I didn't want to try any of the older versions. Which specific driver were you running?

I was running 352.86

• 2 months later...

I know I'm replying to an old topic - but was there a resolution to this issue? I"m running into it right now. I've read around the net and tried various different configurations from changing MEM/GPU clock offsets, temp targets settings, to disabling Nivida's auto stream, and V-Sync settings in game etc... 

I can't even start a new game - first time loading up the game and it crashes. 

First PC Build: NZXT S340 Build | Click to view other accessories. 

CPU:Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive x2
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I know I'm replying to an old topic - but was there a resolution to this issue? I"m running into it right now. I've read around the net and tried various different configurations from changing MEM/GPU clock offsets, temp targets settings, to disabling Nivida's auto stream, and V-Sync settings in game etc... 

I can't even start a new game - first time loading up the game and it crashes. 

Don't walk on that balcony at the beginning, whatever you do. That very beginning at Kaer Morhen is insanely buggy, but after you get through that section it's much more stable.

Don't walk on that balcony at the beginning, whatever you do. That very beginning at Kaer Morhen is insanely buggy, but after you get through that section it's much more stable.

Balcony is fine for me :o

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

just sell it and get AMD 390

^_^

CPU: Intel i7-6700K | MB: Asus Z170-A | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming OC @ GTX 980 Perf. | CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 | COOLER: Coolermaster HYPER 212 EVO |

RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Savage | STORAGE:  Western Digital HDD & Samsung 850 EVO SSD | PSU: Fractal Design Edison M 550W | SCREEN: Dell U2412M 24"