RAID illegal in the UK?

InfamousSynergy

So recently you may have heard that iTunes is now technically illegal in the UK as it is capable of ripping and burning CD's that contain copyrighted material. Turns out backing up ANY computer that contains any form of copyrighted content (Music, films, images from da web etc, legal or illegal) is also now banned.

So here's a thought. What about RAID?

For the people that dont know about RAID and are here for the read, Here is how raid works:

RAID 0 – Striping

RAID 0, also called striping, can be used for two or more hard disks or SSDs. The goal is to improve performance.

RAID 1 – Mirroring

RAID 1, also called mirroring, is used to create an automatic copy of your data. RAID 1 writes your data to two separate disks, and if one fails, you still have all of your data available on the other one. The drawback is that you loose half the capacity.

RAID 0+1 and RAID 1+0

RAID 0 and 1 can be combined with most RAID controllers. For a RAID 0+1 or RAID 1+0 (also called RAID 01 and RAID 10) array you need at least four hard disks.

Obviously RAID 0 is fine but RAID 1 and 10 make clones of the disc (Mirroring) for redundancy however that technically means your cloning/backing up the disk in real time. Is that technically illegal?

I don't run raid and it's not really a major concern but I thought it would be amusing if out government started raiding data centers xD

Plot twist: Space is Bacon

it's already illegal to copy it in the first place from the DVD so raid question is besides the point.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

This is actually an amazing argument....

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

This is actually an amazing argument....

I do try :3

Plot twist: Space is Bacon

Holy crap, I didn't think about it like that. 

I wouldn't worry, this law will get overturned within the months coming. No way the morons will continue to see it through.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

10 SSDs in Raid 0.

Now sponsored by MURICA

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

lmao this is a joke 

4770k | GTX 780 | 350D | 16GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 750w PSU | Kraken x60 | Custom Sleeved Cables | ASUS PB287Q

Build Log 

Redundancy isnt the same as backing up. They wouldnt make it illegal

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

I don't run raid and it's not really a major concern but I thought it would be amusing if out government started raiding data centers xD

That pun tho

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

RAM is also illegal since copyrighted material get copied onto it even if temporarily...

EVERYTHING IS ILLEGAL IN THE UK.

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

Obviously RAID 0 is fine but RAID 1 and 10 make clones of the disc (Mirroring) for redundancy however that technically means your cloning/backing up the disk in real time. Is that technically illegal?

I Think it would only be illegal if the drive being mirrored contains copyrighted materiel, otherwise it should be fine. right?

PCPP http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vg96f7 CPU: Intel i7 4790K MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X S.O.C Ram: G.Skill 2x 8gb GPU: 2x AMD R9 290x in CrossFire SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster z Case: NZXT H440 RED/BLK Storage: 2x Intel 520s 120gb Raid 0 + 2tb Seagate 7200 PSU: EVGA 1000W G2 Fully Modular Display: Samsung UHD 4K 28'' KeyBoard: Corsair K65 RGB Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7 Sound: Logitech z506 OS: Windows 10 TP

It's not like this would actually be enforced, only when a big company like apple is involved. I live in the UK and I'm running iTunes right now, but nobody would bother to arrest me. 

At some point, this issue might be raised to the idiots who create these laws and they would be told that all computers running windows are illegal, that they are breaking the law by using one of these computers. They wouldn't care of course, because they think that they're doing good by protecting small copyright holders.

The UK is like my mum. don't understand it, must be bad!

PCPP http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vg96f7 CPU: Intel i7 4790K MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X S.O.C Ram: G.Skill 2x 8gb GPU: 2x AMD R9 290x in CrossFire SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster z Case: NZXT H440 RED/BLK Storage: 2x Intel 520s 120gb Raid 0 + 2tb Seagate 7200 PSU: EVGA 1000W G2 Fully Modular Display: Samsung UHD 4K 28'' KeyBoard: Corsair K65 RGB Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7 Sound: Logitech z506 OS: Windows 10 TP

I Think it would only be illegal if the drive being mirrored contains copyrighted materiel, otherwise it should be fine. right?

It contains windows which is copyrighted.

It contains windows which is copyrighted.

ah Microsoft allows you to create a copy for backup purposes 

ah Microsoft allows you to create a copy for backup purposes 

It isn't really a backup though.

You have duplicated the OS and are using both copies actively.

It isn't really a backup though.

You have duplicated the OS and are using both copies actively.

well this is just really stupid!

Let's be honest every computer in the UK is now breaking the law because we all own something copy righted. RIP England. Also how the fuck is the high court going to do anything about this. They probably use Macs yet they're going to ban iTunes?