Windows 10 - screen won't turn off after specified time

Go to solution Solved by MRL,

hmm then how would I disable the human interface devices?

I'd say the easiest way to do it is to unplug your keyboard and mouse  :P

So I've set my computer to turn off the screen after 30 mins of inactivity, but to never go to sleep. It's set to 30 mins in both my power plan settings and the personalize setting, but it never turns off the screen. I can leave it forever and the screen won't turn off, it really bothers me. I've tried a theme that uses a screen saverat 15 mins and I've also tried a theme that doesn't use a screen saver at all, both of them didn't effect the result, which is not turning off the display after 30 mins. Any help, anyone? My windows is up to date at the time of writing this. Thanks.

Oh yeah, harddisk is set to turn off after 60 mins. Does that affect anything?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

exact same thing is happening to me after updating to W10 late yesterday.  This is my third household upgrade and first time encountering this problem.  The only difference between the computers is that this one has dual monitors.  Screens will not turn off or sleep unless i lock the computer or shut it down.  I've made sure no apps are running and can't think of anything running in the background that would be keeping it awake.  Any help is appreciated.

go settings>system>power and sleep. change the settings there.

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

go settings>system>power and sleep. change the settings there.

did that, system is set to never sleep, but the screen timeout is set to 10 mins.  Screen saver is set to 5 mins.  Not only does the screen saver not come on, but the monitors also don't timeout.  I read in another thread that some have had success running the disc cleanup tool, specifically targeting the windows update logs.  I'll give this a shot when i get home and see what happens.

did that, system is set to never sleep, but the screen timeout is set to 10 mins.  Screen saver is set to 5 mins.  Not only does the screen saver not come on, but the monitors also don't timeout.  I read in another thread that some have had success running the disc cleanup tool, specifically targeting the windows update logs.  I'll give this a shot when i get home and see what happens.

Yup I guess I will try that as well. However, after fiddling around for a while, i set "What does the power button do" action to "Turn off the display" and interestingly, when I press the power button, the screen fades to black, just like it's supposed to (the routine animation for screen timeout) but the screen immediately turns back on again! The monitor even showed the input I was on when this happened as if I switched inputs or the graphics card turned off then turned back on again... I am really confused. I concluded that this was something to do with the graphics driver or graphics card but I haven't found any setting in Nvidia control panel that might be relevant to this. When I have some time, I will try the same thing but with my integrated Intel HD 4600 and see if that changes anything.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

So I've set my computer to turn off the screen after 30 mins of inactivity, but to never go to sleep. It's set to 30 mins in both my power plan settings and the personalize setting, but it never turns off the screen. I can leave it forever and the screen won't turn off, it really bothers me. I've tried a theme that uses a screen saverat 15 mins and I've also tried a theme that doesn't use a screen saver at all, both of them didn't effect the result, which is not turning off the display after 30 mins. Any help, anyone? My windows is up to date at the time of writing this. Thanks.

Oh yeah, harddisk is set to turn off after 60 mins. Does that affect anything?

you have a driver or program running preventing it from shutting off

do a clean install of 10

and it will solve 99% of these problems

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

you have a driver or program running preventing it from shutting off

do a clean install of 10

and it will solve 99% of these problems

i DID do a clean install and I made sure that there was nothing to prevent the screen from shutting off. (ie origin, steam, background processes...)

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

I think the problem could be the graphics card drivers related. Meaning if you have the latest drivers, then sadly there is nthing you can do beside wait for newer drivers.

I think the problem could be the graphics card drivers related. Meaning if you have the latest drivers, then sadly there is nthing you can do beside wait for newer drivers.

exact same thing is happening to me after updating to W10 late yesterday.  This is my third household upgrade and first time encountering this problem.  The only difference between the computers is that this one has dual monitors.  Screens will not turn off or sleep unless i lock the computer or shut it down.  I've made sure no apps are running and can't think of anything running in the background that would be keeping it awake.  Any help is appreciated.

Hmmm okay, so I tested this today and I switched from my dedicated graphics card, GTX 750 Ti to integrated HD 4600. I did the same thing, set the power button to do the "Turn off the display" action and the same thing happened - The display briefly turned off with the screen fading then immediately turns back on. So I don't think it's something with the physical graphics processors nor the graphics drivers but rather something with Windows 10. Something is keeping the computer from timing out. I even tried ending as much tasks as I possibly can in task manager but I still had the same result... Hope Microsoft comes up with a fix/update soon.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

Hmmm okay, so I tested this today and I switched from my dedicated graphics card, GTX 750 Ti to integrated HD 4600. I did the same thing, set the power button to do the "Turn off the display" action and the same thing happened - The display briefly turned off with the screen fading then immediately turns back on. So I don't think it's something with the physical graphics processors nor the graphics drivers but rather something with Windows 10. Something is keeping the computer from timing out. I even tried ending as much tasks as I possibly can in task manager but I still had the same result... Hope Microsoft comes up with a fix/update soon.

bios updated..?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

If you put your computer to sleep, does it wake up right after also?

If so, can you open the command prompt as true Admin, and run: powercfg -lastwake

It will tell you what device or software wakes up the system.

If you put your computer to sleep, does it wake up right after also?

If so, can you open the command prompt as true Admin, and run: powercfg -lastwake

It will tell you what device or software wakes up the system.

No, the computer goes to sleep like it should when I press the power button/click "sleep" under power.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

bios updated..?

Yes, the bios is still up to date, latest version of v1.8 and this version was uploaded in June of 2014 lol

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

I am curious... is it possible that the HID driver is throwing a fit keep on saying there are inputs from your keyboard or mouse?

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

I am curious... is it possible that the HID driver is throwing a fit keep on saying there are inputs from your keyboard or mouse?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

AHA! I found the problem... it was m joystick that was stopping the system from timing out! But I am quite irritated by this because the joystick, a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro never caused any problems in Windows 7... Well, that's something to look forward to now. Thanks everyone for your input and help!

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler