"Tesla Model S Hacked, Shut off while driving"

13CA350

Original Source: http://globalnews.ca/news/2151042/tesla-model-s-hacked-shut-off-while-driving/?hootPostID=e5da0c923af90a7adc031fafa9394d73

TORONTO – Cybersecurity researchers were able to take control of a Tesla Model S car and shut it off while it was driving thanks to a security flaw found in the vehicle’s software, according to a new report.

Kevin Mahaffey, chief technology officer of cybersecurity firm Lookout, and Marc Rogers, principal security researcher at Cloudflare, told the Financial Times they were able to turn off the car while it was travelling at five miles per hour.

“We shut the car down when it was driving initially at a low speed of five miles per hour,” Rogers told the Financial Times.

So, initially this seems bad, but after reading you will see this:

“All the screens go black, the music turns off and the handbrake comes on, lurching it to a stop.”

So it appears that this time, the software has been updated so that it is at least more "secure" and harder to actually gain control of the accelerator and brake systems. Now the brake will be applied immediately, limiting the risk of injury.

But your wodering, again? Yes, it was actually posted on here last year that chinese hackers were able to gain control of the door locks, wipers, sunroof, headlights, and horn.

So if I owned a Tesla I would probably drive another car untill the problem is fixed

Ooooo Elon isn't gonna be happy about this!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

that Chrysler issue sparked loads of people to hack cars i think this will be a regular thing

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Separate. Systems. Can you idiots understand that?

Agreed, but the issue is Tesla want to upgrade car software over the net so need access to all systems

However I think "steering, braking and locks" should all be on a seperate none connected circuit 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Knew it wasn't going to be long before something like this happened. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Agreed, but the issue is Tesla want to upgrade car software over the net so need access to all systems

1024 bit hashed security key then. -__- Or people can suck it up and go to a Tesla charging station and pick up their update while charging their car.

1024 bit hashed security key then. -__- Or people can suck it up and go to a Tesla charging station and pick up their update while charging their car.

That still leaves room for things though

Surely they use encryption? 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

My thoughts exactly.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

that Chrysler issue sparked loads of people to hack cars i think this will be a regular thing

Yes

That still leaves room for things though

Surely they use encryption? 

It makes it much harder to break in to though.  Honestly the only reason this came about is because people are too lazy to go somewhere (even if it's some place they have to go to) to update their damn car and that allows more chances for flaws to access the car.

Ooooo Elon isn't gonna be happy about this!

Actually, this is a very good thing. Developers can now fix the problem before other hacks and problems occur.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

Require a special key to be placed inside the car in order to allow for the car's systems to communicate with the outside world. Have two independent systems, one for the vehicle itself and one for the GPS/Radio/etc... and the only way to access the car's systems would be to have a key inserted that completes a circuit creating a physical lock to prevent hackers from accessing any essential systems.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It makes it much harder to break in to though.  Honestly the only reason this came about is because people are too lazy to go somewhere (even if it's some place they have to go to) to update their damn car and that allows more chances for flaws to access the car.

Well Telsa did it so they can keep upgradings peoples cars with new features, you cant keep asking people to bring their car in every 10 minutes

also I dont think there are tesla dealerships etc so that would be hard

Require a FOB of sorts to be placed inside the car in order to allow for the car's systems to communicate with the outside world (have two independent systems, one for the vehicle itself and one for the GPS/Radio/etc... and the only way to access the car's systems would be to have a FOB inserted that completes a circuit creating a physical lock to prevent hackers from accessing any essential controls. 

OR

The car cannot receive communications when moving, only when parked with no keys

Require a FOB of sorts to be placed inside the car in order to allow for the car's systems to communicate with the outside world (have two independent systems, one for the vehicle itself and one for the GPS/Radio/etc... and the only way to access the car's systems would be to have a FOB inserted that completes a circuit creating a physical lock to prevent hackers from accessing any essential controls. 

And what ShadowCaptain said would help security while driving:

OR

The car cannot receive communications when moving, only when parked with no keys

That also works.

OR

And what ShadowCaptain said would help security while driving:

That also works.

The only issue with having a motion lock is that it's not a physical lock -- meaning there could potentially be an exploit to get in (iirc the iOS 6 jailbreak was done through the alarm clock). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The only issue with having a motion lock is that it's not a physical lock -- meaning there could potentially be an exploit to get in (iirc the iOS 6 jailbreak was done through the alarm clock). 

Not sure how that'd create an issue if you use something like a speed sensor and a yes/no output.

Not sure how that'd create an issue if you use something like a speed sensor and a yes/no output.

Software can always be tricked -- it's just a question of how -- but it's physically impossible to complete a disconnected circuit without physically connecting the two. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well Telsa did it so they can keep upgradings peoples cars with new features, you cant keep asking people to bring their car in every 10 minutes

also I dont think there are tesla dealerships etc so that would be hard

I value my life over features

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Software can always be tricked -- it's just a question of how -- but it's physically impossible to complete a disconnected circuit without physically connecting the two. 

Always possible to make a chip that has unchangeable code, and then have the systems disconnected while driving.

The thing is, it's entirely possible.

I value my life over features

I agree, but they obviously thought it was safe, and Tesla were trying to push the boundaries

I agree, but they obviously thought it was safe, and Tesla were trying to push the boundaries

Push the boundries? Why the hell would you give a car even a chance of it's breaks hacked? This isn't like crypto locker of keylogging, this could kill someone.

Always FSX said it all, seperate vital functions from non-vital ones, this isn't rocket surgery.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

The problem is Traction control, and stability control need access to engine, and brake systems. Isolating them is not as easily done as you would think, especially not with an electric car. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Push the boundries? Why the hell would you give a car even a chance of it's breaks hacked? This isn't like crypto locker of keylogging, this could kill someone.

Always FSX said it all, seperate vital functions from non-vital ones, this isn't rocket surgery.

none of us here know the security protocols in place or how the hack was done

I am sure Tesla took the steps they thought necessary to protect the system,

Its not like they did this on purpose