H440 front panel mod (better airflow)

FLUFFYJELLO

So as the summer months have been rolling through the idle and load temps in my H440 have gone up dramatically (normally 30C and 65C respectively) to around high 40's idle and mid to high 80's under load. While these are still pretty alright, not causing any throttling issues (from what I can observe), I want to improve my airflow a bit to cool things down.

My plan is to dremel out the front panel and replace it with a patterned mesh (most likely this pattern as it is already powder coated flat black and is rather minimalist in terms of its design).

There are a couple options I've picked out for removing an area of the front panel which are in the image below (but I am open to suggestions on what other patterns or possible cutouts I could use as alternatives):
wWXhHygl.png

Any suggestions on procedures to follow while cutting and fitting the mesh and panel, etc. as well as alternative cutting ideas would be much appreciated.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

You'll definitly need filters, cause otherwise it'll simply increase temperatures over time ;)

But I wouldn't do that at all. Even in my AIR 540 the temperatures increased a lot and that thing is pretty much a giant mesh-case...

@Senzelian

The entirety of the case has filters on or behind all the panels, dust is not an issue.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

@Senzelian

The entirety of the case has filters on or behind all the panels, dust is not an issue.

Ah okay. I thought they were only at the side where the intakes are. Thanks!

Ah okay. I thought they were only at the side where the intakes are. Thanks!

Yeah, the front panel is removable and has a fine mesh filter that spans the opening from which the 3x120mm fans draw air. The side intakes on the front panel are also filtered, but it's聽a very open "mesh" pattern that's more for aesthetics as far as I can tell.

Following this. About to put my parts into the H440 from the Enthoo Pro and I'd be very interesting in seeing something like this done.

Everywhere I Google around for this it seems to be people making plans and not following through or people on forums telling these H440 modding hopefuls that it can only be done with a lot of money and a professional. :P

I'd like to cut out Chevron like shapes down the front and top if I ever get the money and time.

PCPartPicker link:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

袩褉懈胁械褌聽褌芯胁邪褉懈褖聽))))

-SNIP-

Installing a mesh grill like the pattern you have is probably the best choice since it will let you cover up the cut edges and install a intake filter. For cutting if you want to do it yourself a dremel or rotary cutting tool will work just mask off the entire panel and draw the cut lines on it as to not scratch up the panel.聽

Here's a build I've been following who's also doing the same thing:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/257759-project-yin-yang-finished/page-20

The point of buying the H440 is to get a quiet case, with the trade off being not-so-good airflow.
But if you are determined, go for it. The two squares would look odd I'd imagine.聽

Go for the longer mesh, with equal spacing side-to-side and top-to-bottom.

post-75154-0-35251600-1438807906.png

Installing a mesh grill like the pattern you have is probably the best choice since it will let you cover up the cut edges and install a intake filter. For cutting if you want to do it yourself a dremel or rotary cutting tool will work just mask off the entire panel and draw the cut lines on it as to not scratch up the panel.聽

Here's a build I've been following who's also doing the same thing:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/257759-project-yin-yang-finished/page-20

I didn't know 1Scotty1 was planning on modding his front panel :/

I didn't know 1Scotty1 was planning on modding his front panel :/

It was in the works but fell through after not getting a response from the company he was working with but was able to get it done at a later date.聽 :)

@Pedex

I am aware of the tradeoff, but the issue is I'm beginning to sacrifice both because the fans have to spin up to higher RPMs in order to keep the case cool, sacrificing the quietness in the process and still not adequately cooling my components. Seeing as I have rather silent fans occupying my case, I don't think the noise increase will really be as noticeable due to the fans not have to rev up as much.

Any advice I can get from the pros @Mnpctech ?

I like the one large opening. I share all of the steps for installing mesh in a bezel here, http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/378686-fractal-design-define-s-asus-maximus-vii-watercooled-pc/

Any alternatives to the DP-190 Epoxy as a binding agent for the mesh?

Any alternatives to the DP-190 Epoxy as a binding agent for the mesh?

Silicone will work well, regular epoxy from the hardware store will also work the 3M epoxy is just better in terms of hold and strength.

Silicone will work well, regular epoxy from the hardware store will also work the 3M epoxy is just better in terms of hold and strength.

Thanks, I'll take a look at what's available. My resources are limited to what I can get at Home Depot and Lowes.

Snip

Your work inspired me to do a full glass window on my prodigy.That fractal looks the business too!

I've been wanting to do this for some time but I wanted to see how it would look before I did it, definetly following this to see how it turns out

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)聽聽Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo mobo-聽Gigabyte z97x-sliram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop-聽toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidiagt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do聽

and a car thread !聽

Step One complete, Using a Dremel rotary cutter (as I do not have access to a jigsaw) I cut out the interior of the plastic panel. There are two portions to the H440 front panel:

1: The plastic interior which the side grille mesh is attached to and clasps to the front of the frame

2: A somewhat thick, solid, folded piece of steel that is attached to the plastic using tabs (much like the back of a picture frame, or the way the acrylic window is attached)

6wGneWHl.jpg

The mesh is on order and should arrive in a bout 4 days. I'll keep this thread updated as it progresses.

Step One complete, Using a Dremel rotary cutter (as I do not have access to a jigsaw) I cut out the interior of the plastic panel. There are two portions to the H440 front panel:

1: The plastic interior which the side grille mesh is attached to and clasps to the front of the frame

2: A somewhat thick, solid, folded piece of steel that is attached to the plastic using tabs (much like the back of a picture frame, or the way the acrylic window is attached)

6wGneWHl.jpg

The mesh is on order and should arrive in a bout 4 days. I'll keep this thread updated as it progresses.

cant wait to see this and maybe try it myself

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)聽聽Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo mobo-聽Gigabyte z97x-sliram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop-聽toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidiagt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do聽

and a car thread !聽

I did this recently aswell, I'll take some pictures and upload if you want?

I used a wiremesh and rimmed the outside of the cut with rubber.聽

I did this recently aswell, I'll take some pictures and upload if you want?

I used a wiremesh and rimmed the outside of the cut with rubber.

Feel free to do so. This thread is made to be informational to anyone looking to do the same mod, so having someone with the finished product here is helpful.

The mesh arrived yesterday, but I was working until late so I wasn't able to post any updates.

I somehow need access to a jigsaw as the front panel metal plate is surprisingly resilient steel. NZXT wasn't messing around when they made this case, everything about the build quality is solid. Which means more work for me with the cutting...

I'll be doing the majority of the cutting tonight after I get off work, possibly looking at renting a jig from Home Depot or Menards (both are close by).

@Mnpctech what kind of blade should be used for 0.064" steel (or just steel in general)? I already have reinforced rotary聽blades for the pilot cuts. Also, would a saws-all be an appropriate substitute for the jigsaw?

-SNIP-

I would suggest a rotary tool with a reinforced abrasive disk or ideally an angle grinder since your making simple straight cuts and it can do it really quick.

I would suggest a rotary tool with a reinforced abrasive disk or ideally an angle grinder since your making simple straight cuts and it can do it really quick.

I do have a Dremel variable speed rotary tool, and several reinforced cutting blades. It has聽a 3500RPM maximum speed which I believe is adequate for metal cutting. But since I'm going for as straight of cuts as possible, free-hand with a rotary blade isn't my ideal setup. I do have some straight-edge guide attachments, but only for聽short cuts.聽It may be fine for cutting through the perforated aluminum mesh; but I don't know if it has the power necessary to get all the cutting done that I need. I'm just looking for possible alternatives that won't make this mod end up costing more than the case itself.