Intel promisses Unlocked, Overclockable LAPTOP Skylake CPUs

GoodBytes

Try an not set your legs and desk under fire if you get a hold on these chips, but Intel promises that it will have unlocked, and overclockable Skylake CPUs for laptops.

While details are slim, these CPU's will be like the desktop counterpart, meaning NOT ALL CPUs won laptops will be unlocked and overclockable, only sum. Presumingly will have the "K" marking to identify them like on the desktop.

As CPUs and GPUs get more and more power efficient, and manufacture put better cooling solutions in their mobile system, including some, using the base of the laptop as an extension of the heat-sink to dissipate heat, a preferred approach on slim powerful systems, overclocking a laptop is getting more and more possible. Intel now offers this possibility to consumers. Now it comes down to manufactures to be willing to use them, and actually provide you the BIOS/UEFI options to overclock the CPU.

Sadly no more details are given beside this.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/intel-promises-unlocked-overclockable-skylake-cpu-for-laptops/

Is this really needed though? I can't see the cooling solution in a laptop being powerful enough in a laptop to allow for an overclock that would make that much of a difference, and that would justify the extra cost involved in additional and superior cooling etc.... 

Apparently most if not all cpus will have variable bus speeds like the unlocked cpus (100-233!!!) So really I'd like to see what the "locked" cpus can do as well.

That's a huge push to be available supposedly.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Is this really needed though? I can't see the cooling solution in a laptop being powerful enough in a laptop to allow for an overclock that would make that much of a difference, and that would justify the extra cost involved in additional and superior cooling etc....

When some laptops have full 4790ks in them, ofc they can handle overclocking on mobile cpus...

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

don't know how much clock speed it can achieve with the laptop cooling before it throttles, unlesswe do something like Linus did on that mac book air

Details separate people.

When some laptops have full 4790ks in them, ofc they can handle overclocking on mobile cpus...

Aren't those with custom chassis though? Not your standard Asus or HP laptop? Like i say, i'm not saying they can't handle overclocking, but how much of an increase in clock would you be able to achieve before temps become too high?

Apparently most if not all cpus will have variable bus speeds like the unlocked cpus (100-233!!!) So really I'd like to see what the "locked" cpus can do as well.

That's a huge push to be available supposedly.

Have you ever seen a laptop bios, good luck trying to find how to change the bus speeds.

The lifetime of your laptop will deplete so fast because you will probably overclock to temperatures that the laptop can't handle... Unless you consider putting a mATX PC on your lap, a laptop, there really isn't much viable options for it. I'm also guessing your warranty will be void upon overclock.

i can see this in a setup where i have extra cooling for the laptop at home, where i can achieve a sustainable overclock and then disabling the oc when taking the laptop somewhere else

Xeon E3-1231-v3 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro // Asus Z97AR // XFX RX 480 GTR

Aren't those with custom chassis though? Not your standard Asus or HP laptop? Like i say, i'm not saying they can't handle overclocking, but how much of an increase in clock would you be able to achieve before temps become too high?

Well obviously this wouldn't be a thing on your average $500 HP laptop. Currently there are a hand full of laptops out that use desktop cpu's successfully so it's far from impossible and I definitely see a market for this in the high-end segment.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Well obviously this wouldn't be a thing on your average $500 HP laptop. Currently there are a hand full of laptops out that use desktop cpu's successfully so it's far from impossible and I definitely see a market for this in the high-end segment.

Well yeah, obliviously not in the average consumer laptop, but even still on a high-end custom laptop, would the cooling really be good enough to provide for an overclock that would even make it worthwhile? 

The lifetime of your laptop will deplete so fast because you will probably overclock to temperatures that the laptop can't handle... Unless you consider putting a mATX PC on your lap, a laptop, there really isn't much viable options for it. I'm also guessing your warranty will be void upon overclock.

That apparently isn't the case today with the numerous laptops with 4790ks in them already, and overclocking a 47W mobile I7 is obviously way less damaging than overclocking a 88W 4790k.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Above. Yes high end laptops.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Have you ever seen a laptop bios, good luck trying to find how to change the bus speeds.

It's not like they can't make the laptop bios more accessible if that is actually a goal anyways.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

What's the difference between the unlocked desktop models and the unlocked laptop models besides branding? Are the laptop versions binned to be more power efficient at high clocks? Why not just use the laptop version in a desktop then? Not that this is a bad thing at all, I just don't understand what would set the two versions apart enough to justify a separate model, but not give one an obvious advantage over the other. Intel y u tease us like this????

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Would be awesome if you had a normal mode, then a switch for high perfomance mode, maybe detect when its on a cooling pad. 

that and I want to be able to tinker with voltages. with gpus you can cut 20*C off them easy with cutting the voltage down.(from personal experience) so to be able to cut voltage to CPUs in laptops would be awesome. cut temps, and increase battery life

Can anyone give a definition of what this means in this context?

-snip- Intel promises that it will have unlocked, and recoverable Skylake CPUs for laptops. -snip-

How can you recover a CPU? Does that mean it'll be socketed and user replaceable? So you can upgrade from a socketed i5 to an i7 later? And what will happen with the clockspeed when on battery?

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Can anyone give a definition of what this means in this context?

How can you recover a CPU? Does that mean it'll be socketed and user replaceable? So you can upgrade from a socketed i5 to an i7 later? And what will happen with the clockspeed when on battery?

Typo. Firefox spell checker sucks.

Would be awesome if you had a normal mode, then a switch for high perfomance mode, maybe detect when its on a cooling pad. 

So... almost like it had a "clock" that it could like... "boost to" under pre-determined power and thermal conditions?

So turn power saver mode into normal, and turn normal into performance mode. That's been a thing for a while.

telling me changing the power mode changes the voltage and overclocks the laptop? okay mate.