photographing through a 30mm telescope

ok like the title says how would one do that, i found what is basicly just a nautical binocular but it said telescope so i want to try to do something with it, i have always wanted to take pictures of shit in space so i thought i might get to take a picture of the moon or something with this 30mm. i know 30mm is tiny for a telescope but still i want to try to do this so heres my gear:

camera: Iphone 4S

telescope: a 30x30mm telescope i found laying around

stand: a camera stand that i god from my grand dad some time ago that the telescope mounts nicely too

ok i know this must look like a freaking joke but i want to try to do something with this for the shits and giggles of it so what do you think i could photograph in a backyard with a metric poop ton of light polution? or should i just give up and look through my 45mm one on its shaky as shit stand? thanks for all the replyes and i know this should probably be in off topic but i want to photograf stuff too and i cant pick both of them :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Light pollution is a big killer, even when of screen it can(and likely will) ruin photo's.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Light pollution is a big killer, even when of screen it can(and likely will) ruin photo's.

so probably nothing can be seen with it then

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

so probably nothing can be seen with it then

even if there isnt enough to block things out entirely without a solid stand and proper shutter control you are going to be struggling.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

even if there isnt enough to block things out entirely without a solid stand and proper shutter control you are going to be struggling.

well RIP my photographing space dream for now then i guess

Builds:

Spoiler

well RIP my photographing space dream for now then i guess

With your current equipment yes, sadly.

Altough if you want we can give you a direction to look

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

With your current equipment yes, sadly.

Altough if you want we can give you a direction to look

nah its fine, im just going to see if i can even look at the moon from my back yard and some time in the future i might go buy a $50 used telescope or something

Builds:

Spoiler

Can you post a photo of your telescope?  Perhaps I may be able to help.

However, if you want to take a photo of the moon using your iPhone's camera, look for a camera app that allows for manual control of the exposure. Otherwise you will only get a bright white circle in the frame.

Normally for astrophotography using a digital camera and a telescope you need to get a lens mount adapter, for DSLRs, or a camera adapter if you are using point-n-shoot cameras.  The tripod or whatever stand your telescope uses has to be solid and sturdy, and exposures should not be for more than a second or two, hence you need to boost the ISO and widen aperture.  Any exposure longer than a few seconds you will get blurry images as the Moon and other objects in the night sky are moving relative to Earth's rotation about its axis, or you will require a motorized telescope mount that can track the movement of the object in focus.  Unless of course you want to do a long exposure star trail photo.

Here's an example of a photo taken with a 114mm Newtonian telescope, 10x barlow lens and a Nikon D90 with a T-mount, the main star in the photo is Vega.  The photo was taken in a place with moderate amount of light pollution, close to midnight waiting for the darkest time and clearest skies possible.  If you are thinking about getting photos like what NASA publishes from the Hubble telescope, you will definitely need a much better telescope.

5457400442_d6a9eaea7b_z.jpg20100605-Vega.jpg by Aung Lwin, on Flickr

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

5457399240_11f8662896_z.jpg_DSC0017.jpg by Aung Lwin, on Flickr

And here is a photo of the Moon, taken with a Nikon D90 and a 70-200mm with a 2x teleconverter.  If you want to take photos of the night sky and stellar objects, forget using a mobile device or point-n-shoots.  Get a good DSLR, some good lenses, perhaps a good telescope and the mounts for the camera and travel to a place with Zero to extremely low light pollution.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Can you post a photo of your telescope?  Perhaps I may be able to help.

However, if you want to take a photo of the moon using your iPhone's camera, look for a camera app that allows for manual control of the exposure. Otherwise you will only get a bright white circle in the frame.

Normally for astrophotography using a digital camera and a telescope you need to get a lens mount adapter, for DSLRs, or a camera adapter if you are using point-n-shoot cameras.  The tripod or whatever stand your telescope uses has to be solid and sturdy, and exposures should not be for more than a second or two, hence you need to boost the ISO and widen aperture.  Any exposure longer than a few seconds you will get blurry images as the Moon and other objects in the night sky are moving relative to Earth's rotation about its axis, or you will require a motorized telescope mount that can track the movement of the object in focus.  Unless of course you want to do a long exposure star trail photo.

Here's an example of a photo taken with a 114mm Newtonian telescope and a Nikon D90, the main star in the photo is Vega.  The photo was taken in a place with moderate amount of light pollution, close to midnight waiting for the darkest time and clearest skies possible.  If you are thinking about getting photos like what NASA publishes from the Hubble telescope, you will definitely need a much better telescope.

100605-Vega.jpg by Aung Lwin, on Flickr

wow holy crap you are amazing thanks so much for the reply!

Builds:

Spoiler

_DSC0017.jpg by Aung Lwin, on Flickr

And here is a photo of the Moon, taken with a Nikon D90 and a 70-200mm with a 2x teleconverter. If you want to take photos of the night sky and stellar objects, forget using a mobile device or point-n-shoots. Get a good DSLR, some good lenses, perhaps a good telescope and the mounts for the camera and travel to a place with Zero to extremely low light pollution.

ok here's a pic of it, it's a joke to compare it to anything but I just want to get a nice picture of the moon without blowing any money :Pae3c58cddb081180b834fadff75693f9.jpg

Builds:

Spoiler

You can do the moon. It's beautiful bettrr than any pic looking at it, used a 4 inch dob at school.

You can do the moon. It's beautiful bettrr than any pic looking at it, used a 4 inch dob at school.

4inches is way bigger than what I have, I have 30mm :/

Builds:

Spoiler

Hmm ok, you're gonna have to find some sort of mount to attach whatever camera you want to use against the eyepiece.  If you use a camera, a remote trigger or cable release would be very useful, or a if the camera/camera app has a timer app it would work. If you can't find any sort of mounting adapter, as you said before, a 2nd tripod for holding your camera could work.  But you would have to make sure they are all aligned properly.

It really looks more like a viewing scope than a telescope.

A good Newtonian or Refractor telescope is not expensive, especially if you're looking for one that will let you photo good details of the moon's surface and not expecting to see the rings of Saturn.  Of course don't expect to see Armstrong's footprints in the photo.

Hmm ok, you're gonna have to find some sort of mount to attach whatever camera you want to use against the eyepiece. If you use a camera, a remote trigger or cable release would be very useful, or a if the camera/camera app has a timer app it would work. If you can't find any sort of mounting adapter, as you said before, a 2nd tripod for holding your camera could work. But you would have to make sure they are all aligned properly.

It really looks more like a viewing scope than a telescope.

A good Newtonian or Refractor telescope is not expensive, especially if you're looking for one that will let you photo good details of the moon's surface and not expecting to see the rings of Saturn. Of course don't expect to see Armstrong's footprints in the photo.

thinking of spending $50 on a used telescope if this gives me anything :) thanks for the tips for mounting I'm probably going to go small wooden pieces and gafatape :P I will post any pictures I take and I will make sure to let you know if anything is anything too look at, this evening is to cloudy to even see the moon so nothing for today :/

Builds:

Spoiler

There is one thing you can do with your 30mm scope, for artistic style of photography.  Use it to view an object (e.g. flower or landscape) and take a photo with a good camera with the lens aimed through the eyepiece of the scope.

thinking of spending $50 on a used telescope if this gives me anything :) thanks for the tips for mounting I'm probably going to go small wooden pieces and gafatape :P I will post any pictures I take and I will make sure to let you know if anything is anything too look at, this evening is to cloudy to even see the moon so nothing for today :/

Do some online searches for "mounting [your camera] to telescope".  One mount made for one brand of camera doesn't usually work for another brand.