Using microwaves to propel a craft into space might work

testingshows.jpg

A team of researchers at Colorado based Escape Dynamics is reporting that initial tests indicate that it might really be possible to launch space-planes into space using microwaves sent from the ground, to allow for a single stage spacecraft. If the idea pans out, the cost savings for sending satellites (or perhaps humans) into orbit could be considerable.

Personally the idea of relocating the energy required to achieve escape velocity, and or orbit, is where I think the future of spaceflight is.  At least our next big step in terms of technology/infrastructure should be along these lines, I think.  I keep toying with the idea of a colossal maglev ramp to catapult vehicles vertically, kind of like an aircraft carrier blasting fighters off the deck...but different.  Either way, not needing huge amounts of rocket fuel, or the stages of each rocket that gets dropped from capsules is an exciting prospect.

Source, animation and full article at http://phys.org/news/2015-07-microwaves-propel-craft-space.html

Huge electromagnetic catapult + SRBs/ramjet to get it out of the atmosphere, solar sails/lazor propulsion/microwave engine...

(I watched too much Gundam)

Or we could just wait for the Japanese to construct their space elevator...

When they develop a system when the craft doesnt need propellant to get to orbit, then they have achieved history and unlocked a whole new era.

Once out of the planets gravity well - moving around in space without a propellant is much easier, we can already do it now.

When they develop a system when the craft doesnt need propellant to get to orbit, then they have achieved history and unlocked a whole new era.

I really want to see that in my lifetime.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Somehow I was expecting a bunch of these to power the jet :lol:

NN-K125MBGPG_Grill-Mikrowelle_silber_Pan

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Once out of the planets gravity well - moving around in space without a propellant is much easier, we can already do it now.

There will still be the problem of the amount of time it takes to travel anywhere significant in space though D:

If this succeeds, we will have a major step in mining the space and potentially saving the planet from...us.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

This idea is just cool. Full stop

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

What would happen if it malfunctions everyone get microwaved to death ?

there is jail for that. Not everyone, the earth is round....

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

What would happen if it malfunctions everyone get microwaved to death ?

Probably not the signal would weaken?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Well this thread escalated quickly.

No wonder so many of us want to get off this planet. I love the idea of a giant maglev/rail gun ram being used to escape orbit. Although I'm sure there'd be some kind of problem with G-forces an acceleration and what not.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs