Project Parvum Argentum - The high power sequel to Loramentum - PSW Swap Update 27/02/17

Maki Role

@Maki Role 

holy balls dude, this build will be epic! I seriously don't know how Loramentum can be beaten (btw huge congrats on that piece of art), but this will be something completely different that I simply can't wait for. You, kind sir, have officially switched on the drool fountains in everyone's mouths and I applaud you for it, especially the huge amount of time and dedication you are putting into this build (and every previous one too)! Onwards, and I can't wait for the next updates!

This is epic...

but-why.gif

Why the hell not? did you miss the specs or something?

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Why the hell not? did you miss the specs or something?

No I did not, this is what pushed me to post here. I know, I know, this thing will look sexy as hell, but I can't get myself to like these kind of overpowered builds. 

I always think, oh wow a titan X ! Wich I looked at the reviews that it can handle witcher 3 at 4K @ 70fps+, and then I see Titan X SLI; and go like ok the build will be future proof for many years. And then 4x SLI Titan X... I can't help myselft from having the word overconsumption in my head. 

Same when I see a 5960X that is being overclocked, same with 128gb of DDR4.

I don't know man maybe it's just me, but I can't figure out why so much power, so much money, over power that will more likely never be used at it's full potential.

Now I know this will propably be used for shows and that everything is sponsored, but I still can't make my mind about these build. 

So yeah the "But why" meme was in fact a real question, what will be the use of this PC ?  :P

So yeah the "But why" meme was in fact a real question, what will be the use of this PC ?  :P

I would assume it would be a showpiece at events for one of the sponsors, and maybe a showpeice of his own/sponsor at LAN Events? Also, it would be hard for me to turn down a 4 way Titan X SLI rig if I had multiple sponsors, who believe in me making something awesome, even if it is overkill for almost any uses. (I am sure Makirole will find one though.)

I like good humans and good food

Maybe it could be used for even more beautiful render of future projects? Rendering can be a very time consuming process and the more power you have at your disposal the better. And obviously the more details added, the more power you need to keep it down to the same time. I remember drawing an model of an RC car in a drafing program while I was in high school. By the time I finished, it would take a very long time to render an image on my computer. (Like an hour or so iirc) I love these overkill builds. Will I ever have anything close to this? Nope, but it's awesome to see one go together.

"renders" i hate that word lately when i them next to photos

Hehe well you're going to have to see a few more of those whilst the first parts are being machined

D.fucking.rool.

Glad to have you on board Andy :)

ummm... that is some chunk of hardware you have there, holy cow!

subbed can't wait to see where this goes :)

Yeah it's some meaty stuff indeed, fingers crossed it will all work!

I like trying to decide which are renders and which aren't and then checking the label to see. I've failed almost every time. Some manufacturer needs to get you on board for rendering/product design, whether that be bikes, pc stuff, etc. Truly amazing, and subbed!

Haha I have considered trying to go freelance with this sort of work, although I fear my workflow isn't quite efficient enough yet to make it work.  I keep learning with every model I make so in the future I should be much better in that regard.

@Maki Role 

holy balls dude, this build will be epic! I seriously don't know how Loramentum can be beaten (btw huge congrats on that piece of art), but this will be something completely different that I simply can't wait for. You, kind sir, have officially switched on the drool fountains in everyone's mouths and I applaud you for it, especially the huge amount of time and dedication you are putting into this build (and every previous one too)! Onwards, and I can't wait for the next updates!

Aye it won't be too long hopefully before I can get some more concrete progress done.  Renders are good and all, but I much prefer being able to post some real photos.  Here's to hoping this design surpasses expectations like the first did.

No I did not, this is what pushed me to post here. I know, I know, this thing will look sexy as hell, but I can't get myself to like these kind of overpowered builds. 

I always think, oh wow a titan X ! Wich I looked at the reviews that it can handle witcher 3 at 4K @ 70fps+, and then I see Titan X SLI; and go like ok the build will be future proof for many years. And then 4x SLI Titan X... I can't help myselft from having the word overconsumption in my head. 

Same when I see a 5960X that is being overclocked, same with 128gb of DDR4.

I don't know man maybe it's just me, but I can't figure out why so much power, so much money, over power that will more likely never be used at it's full potential.

Now I know this will propably be used for shows and that everything is sponsored, but I still can't make my mind about these build. 

Aah you see that's where most builds do, in fact, go wrong.  They are primarily gaming builds, where those specs would be meaningless.  However, I barely game anymore, and when I do it's most likely on my xbox :P (can't tear me away from Halo I'm afraid).  All the power being put into this build will be used 100% via rendering (okay maybe not the 128GB of RAM if we do end up using that much, 64 would be useful over 32 though).  I use my GPUs for rendering with Cycles, so having 4x12GB cards would be very useful vs my current 2x6GB.  My aim is to be able to do animations for my more complex projects where currently render times are too prohibitive.  I'd rather not have to deal with render farms also as they lack the flexibility I'm used to.

Maybe it could be used for even more beautiful render of future projects? Rendering can be a very time consuming process and the more power you have at your disposal the better. And obviously the more details added, the more power you need to keep it down to the same time. I remember drawing an model of an RC car in a drafing program while I was in high school. By the time I finished, it would take a very long time to render an image on my computer. (Like an hour or so iirc) I love these overkill builds. Will I ever have anything close to this? Nope, but it's awesome to see one go together.

Hit the nail on the head :)

UPDATE-ISH!

uf89C7.jpg

G5cRzF.jpg

So whilst the motherboard block test piece is being machined, I figured I would model another important element, the graphics cards.  Now the final ones will be watercooled, so arguably all this work was a bit pointless, but I got the PCB all measured up etc. so it'll be ready for the block when I can model that.  Nvidia asked if I would be able to render a version of the stock Titan X.  I initially asked if they could provide a file, but they didn't respond so instead I made my own.  I must say this was the most challenging thing I've modelled to date.  It's deceptive, but the Titan cooler has curved surfaces everywhere, which is a nightmare for measurements and replication.

The last real Titan may still be on its way, but at least I can now pretend to have 4 :P

RVdOCq.jpg

Clay render showing the model itself sans textures:

4i8tDa.jpg

This was actually and accident when I misclicked and applied a frosted acrylic material to the whole thing, thought it looked cool though.

h00FzJ.jpg

jJRhNH.jpg

gdwZob.jpg

5KTHNp.jpg

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

This was actually and accident when I misclicked and applied a frosted acrylic material to the whole thing, thought it looked cool though.

h00FzJ.jpg

New GeForce GTX 1000 series cooler? I'd hype that. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

:wub:

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

@Maki_role what program do you use for modeling these? Would really like to get better at modeling

Python/C# Programming

Code to learn, don't learn to code. -Napalm

@Maki_role what program do you use for modeling these? Would really like to get better at modeling

if im not mistaken it's blender that he is using.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

if im not mistaken it's bleder that he is using.

Man I love bleeder, :D

Python/C# Programming

Man I love bleeder, :D

ehmm was supposed to say blender instead of bleder/bleeder, it's awesome yeah but the learning curve is steep,

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

ehmm was supposed to say blender instead of bleder/bleeder, it's awesome yeah but the learning curve is steep,

Not as steep as 3ds max

Python/C# Programming

Should have called this build argumentum :D

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I see the purpose now, I tought Quadro's was the obvious choice when building a rendering build. Oh well  :P

Eh it's a shakeup between numerous factors. The Geforce cards are always faster than the Quadros as they have increased clock speeds etc. at the cost of being not quite as stable and higher power consumption and cooling requirements. There are a few other changes too, but mostly at the driver level instead. There's also the point that Nvidia has sponsored these cards, which they wouldn't for the Quadros. The Titans have a much higher media presence than the Quadros, they also look much much better IMO, which is quite important for a build like this. Then there's the matter that Quadros would be 3-4X as expensive, which even for a rig like this would be a bit ridiculous. 

That clear GPU belongs in an Apple :)

I think they'd make nice trophies tbh. Imagine an actual, weighty glass one on a small pedestal? That would be an awesome award IMO at a modding contest, wouldn't be cheap mind.

if im not mistaken it's blender that he is using.

I actually use Autodesk Inventor for most of the modelling on these parts. I use Blender for all the actual rendering along with details like mass capacitor placement, heatpipes, general curved surfaces etc.

I wish I had enough money to stack three Titan X cards on top of each other... :(

Aah you see that's where most builds do, in fact, go wrong.  They are primarily gaming builds, where those specs would be meaningless.  However, I barely game anymore, and when I do it's most likely on my xbox :P (can't tear me away from Halo I'm afraid).  All the power being put into this build will be used 100% via rendering (okay maybe not the 128GB of RAM if we do end up using that much, 64 would be useful over 32 though).  I use my GPUs for rendering with Cycles, so having 4x12GB cards would be very useful vs my current 2x6GB.  My aim is to be able to do animations for my more complex projects where currently render times are too prohibitive.  I'd rather not have to deal with render farms also as they lack the flexibility I'm used to.

Wouldn't a Quadro, say a K5000-K6000 be better for rendering? I don't know about AutoDesk or even Blender but I use Maya and it benefits more from professional grade cards then anything else. Titans have better specs but Nvidia borked their drivers so they're not as good.

EDIT: Missed your response from above. Well as long as it works for you :)

Them renders look so real. If it weren't for the 'render' on the picture, I would think they were real. So hyped for this, after some teasers from your previous build. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Whats up @Maki Role when is the next update?

Shh you'll spoil it! :P

Hopefully will be able to get a small update in today actually, that or tomorrow. Got a livestream interview with AMD today so may not have time to edit up the pictures.

uf89C7.jpg

JeXrAA.jpg

So this ended up being a much longer gap than any of us had planned. If there's one issue with doing large scale sponsored builds it's that you have to deal with a lot of different timescales and schedules, so they do have a habit of dragging on a bit.

But that said, I do have a proper update for you all!

First of all, I'd like to welcome a new sponsor into the fray, Hexagon PCs! They kindly offered to supply the sleeving for Argentum, and some special stuff it is indeed.

The next big bit of news is that the fourth Titan X has finally surfaced :D, it's been a long time coming but this build at last has the stated number of GPUs present. Sadly that doesn't mean all too much right now though as we're still missing, well, almost everything else. Hey, good things come to those who wait.

And lastly, and probably most interestingly, we have some PHYSICAL PROGRESS! Somehow the guys at Parvum Systems managed to find some time in the run up to i55 to cut the test block for the motherboard. This is a vital piece as it allows me to work out exactly what works and what doesn't with the design. For the most part it actually fits perfectly, there are only a couple small changes that I need to make to have it all functioning well. We didn't want to commit to copper until we're 100% sure that it's going to work right.

Going for silver, white and a darker grey

3RfMrw.jpg

Finally 4 GPUs present in real life!

ofAh5X.jpg

3L6gVJ.jpg

Motherboard PLX block so far

CpG3EB.jpg

SkyIAZ.jpg

Fits nice and snug

x93Jhe.jpg