Microsoft reveals new desktop wallpaper for all devices for Windows Insiders - Ninjacat on a T-Rex and more...

GoodBytes

I haven't seen good advertising from them either, but I can see clearly when they are doing things to get the attention of more people.

(that ad was good because of the adorable babies <33)

You don't seem to understand...I know they haven't said it is marketing but it is clear that is what it is meant to be.  And you haven't been to Tumblr then, because that kind of stuff appeals to them all...

Wow, alright. I wasn't strong arming you to reply in the first place.

Okay I'll give you one more since you really don't seem to understand what the "masses" are.

The masses do not spend their time on tumblr, hell they've probably never even heard of it. They probably think "tumblr" is a component inside a tumble drying machine.

The masses do not spend their time viewing or looking at internet memes.

The masses are the everyday regular Joe's and Jane's who just use computers to do what they need to get done and don't live for the internet.

If you think the "masses" are people who spend their days browsing reddit for lulz and know what tumblr is then you're probably still in high school or very young.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Okay I'll give you one more since you really don't seem to understand what the "masses" are.

The masses do not spend their time on tumblr, hell they've probably never even heard of it. They probably think "tumblr" is a component inside a tumble drying machine.

The masses do not spend their time viewing or looking at internet memes.

The masses are the everyday regular Joe's and Jane's who just use computers to do what they need to get done and don't live for the internet.

If you think the "masses" are people who spend their days browsing reddit for lulz and know what tumblr is then you're probably still in high school or very young.

The masses I was referring to was obviously the younger crowds since older people/the general crowd would just buy Win10 because someone told them to or it was with the system. I highly doubt cats on dinosaurs would even appeal to old people so you knew what I was referring to, you just wanted to be difficult.

lol now you are upset. I can tell.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

You don't seem to understand...I know they haven't said it is marketing but it is clear that is what it is meant to be.  And you haven't been to Tumblr then, because that kind of stuff appeals to them all...

I dont' think you understand what is being said. You are going by definition the word marketing. So technically, just having anyone in the company say "Windows 10", or any sentence that might suggest that a product is coming, is marketing.

The marketing we talk about, is that anything that affects the masses. I can assure you, most of the companies, and IT that are trying Windows 10, don't get it. Twitter demonstrates this. It hasn't gone viral there. Just on a couple of forums like this one people talk about it, Microsoft focused sites, nerd targeted blog sites, talk about it.

I dont' think you understand what is being said. You are going by definition the word marketing. So technically, just having anyone in the company say "Windows 10", or any sentence that might suggest that a product is coming, is marketing.

The marketing we talk about, is that anything that affects the masses. I can assure you, most of the companies, and IT that are trying Windows 10, don't get it. Twitter demonstrates this. It hasn't gone viral there. Just on a couple of forums like this one people talk about it, Microsoft focused sites, nerd targeted blog sites, talk about it.

TBH, Windows 10 is pointless when you compare it to 8.1, its just a re-skin with a couple of things added and a lot removed. Pretty much the same things that realistically only require an update to windows 8.1.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Because I don't like it when marketing gets so obvious and pitiful. They can claim it is all just for fun but there is always purpose behind what companies do.

So they are making super hip wallpapers that seem like a rip off of other artists' work or companies attempts at marketing to the modern audience to appeal to the masses?

Dude, pull the giant tree limb out of your ass. They're cute, amusing, little things obviously meant to be fun. Is it marketing? Sure. Is it hurting any one or even anything remotely bad? Nope. There is plenty of shit marketing tactics out there without needing to get your panties in a twist over something harmless.

TBH, Windows 10 is pointless when you compare it to 8.1, its just a re-skin with a couple of things added and a lot removed. Pretty much the same things that realistically only require an update to windows 8.1.

It has few new features compared to Windows 8, as you said, but they are substantially big and time consuming to develop.

Unless things changes, Microsoft usually goes with the model of: innovate -> polish -> innovate -> polish.

Windows 10 is the polish phase, if you will. Windows 11 (or what ever it will be called 3 years from now) will be innovate. However, this might change

now, and probably Windows 10.1 or 10.2 will start seeing new features come in as they are ready.

My guess is that 10.1 would be a further polish of Windows 10 primarily, kinda like a Service Pack 1 from Windows of old. So it will fix a lot of bugs and issues that didn't get a chance to be fixed, and newly discovered ones. Might have a few more features just to have something for the end user, but that is about it. Then with Windows 10.2 they'll focus on new features.

It has few new features compared to Windows 8, as you said, but they are substantially big and time consuming to develop.

Unless things changes, Microsoft usually goes with the model of: innovate -> polish -> innovate -> polish.

Windows 10 is the polish phase, if you will. Windows 11 (or what ever it will be called 3 years from now) will be innovate. However, this might change

now, and probably Windows 10.1 or 10.2 will start seeing new features come in as they are ready.

My guess is that 10.1 would be a further polish of Windows 10 primarily, kinda like a Service Pack 1 from Windows of old. So it will fix a lot of bugs and issues. Might have a few more features just to have something for the end user, but that is about it. Then with Windows 10.2 they'll focus on new features.

My point is that the changes implemented in Windows 10 could be simply installed via Windows update without creating a whole new OS. Though its nice to see that this time it won't cost anything to actually upgrade, otherwise I'd have an incoming rant at MS for forcing people to spend money on their OS.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Dude, pull the giant tree limb out of your ass. They're cute, amusing, little things obviously meant to be fun. Is it marketing? Sure. Is it hurting any one or even anything remotely bad? Nope. There is plenty of shit marketing tactics out there without needing to get your panties in a twist over something harmless.

Wow. My only point was only that I don't like it because it feels like an obvious marketing scheme (and that's why they are so cute and weird). No need to get your panties in a twist over another person's opinion.

I also wasn't starting a war over it so stop overreacting. It was an opinion...you know, those things people tend to have. :lol:

I think something might have gotten muddled in the short argument I had, but I was initially just trying to say that I don't like the images because it feels like they are trying to appeal to the hip crowd to get more attention...because this kind of weird stuff just feels like something someone would create on purpose for the only purpose of garnering attention. I don't know why someone had the need to argue over how I felt about it in the first place but whatever.

And okay, I wasn't meaning to refer to the average joe so mistake on my part if I had implied it. I was meaning the younger crowds where this kind of weird is attractive to them.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Wow. My only point was only that I don't like it because it feels like an obvious marketing scheme (and that's why they are so cute and weird). No need to get your panties in a twist over another person's opinion.

I also wasn't starting a war over it so stop overreacting. It was an opinion...you know, those things people tend to have. :lol:

Everything a company does is marketing. Why get annoyed over something cute and harmless? I just don't see the point in being such a stick in the mud about companies having a little fun with their marketing.

There is really a lot more changes. Might not seem like it if you haven't been following its development closely. I wrote this in another thread but I'll just copy paste it below. Honestly I forgot half the things on this list myself until I decided to make a list of changes. :P

• Overhauled Start menu
  • The Action Center/notification center
  • Cortana (If you are concerned about privacy, there are lots of options for enabling/disabling things Cortana can/cannot do, what she does and doesn't have access to, etc.)
  • Continuum (Modifies the UI for tablet or desktop usage depending on device type and input method being used.)
  • UI for switching tasks (Alt-Tab) is significantly improved
  • Aero Snap functionality hugely improved
  • New Microsoft Edge browser
  • Universal Apps (This is more relevant if you have multiple Windows-based devices, including PC, Phone, Xbox, HoloLens, etc.)
  • Running Universal/Modern apps in a window on the desktop
  • Windows Hello (Automatically login/lock PC by face detection, requires special webcam hardware.)
  • DirectX12
  • Multiple virtual desktops
  • All stock apps are completely overhauled (Store, Photos, Weather, Groove Music, Movies & TV, Settings, Mail & Calendar, Calculator, Alarm & Clock, and many more)
  • Xbox app, will bring a bunch of Xbox platform features to Windows 10 including bringing some Xbox games to Windows 10 and allowing cross-platform play, etc. Xbox app can also act as a Game DVR/take screenshots. It will also allow the Xbox One-to-PC game streaming. They are also reportedly working on PC-to-Xbox One streaming. The Xbox games on Windows 10 confirmed so far are Fable Legends, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Gigantic, and Killer Instinct. Doom (2016 release) is also coming to Xbox One and Windows 10. Also, all the Xbox 360 games that will be playable via backwards compatibility can also be stream to Windows 10 PCs
  • File Explorer is improved as well with new functionality
  • Login screen UI is updated
  • Plenty of UI refinements all over the place, everything looks a lot nicer and more pleasing now
  • Phone Companion app that works not only with Windows phones but also iPhones and Android phones
  • Command Prompt has been improved after all these years as well with a more scale-able GUI and new features like being able to paste using Ctrl+V, among other things (These improvements also apply to PowerShell): http://arstechnica.c...e-21st-century/
  • Windows Update in Windows 10 supports peer-to-peer downloading on the same local network. So if you have 2 or more PCs then 1 PC downloads the Windows updates from the internet, then all other PC download the updates from the first PC so it will be faster for the other PCs and save on your internet bandwidth cap if you have one.
  • Better high-resolution screen support. Windows 10 supports up to 8K displays and will have better UI scaling overall.
  • Data Sense and Storage Sense apps (ported from Windows Phone OS)

Then there is still things beyond that as well as things that are more business/enterprise oriented.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Everything a company does is marketing. Why get annoyed over something cute and harmless? I just don't see the point in being such a stick in the mud about companies having a little fun with their marketing.

If it was really about fun, sure. I do think it is cute, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when the reasons it exists is incredibly obvious. It is like watching a commercial that suddenly gets popular, but you hate it, and then suddenly all commercials are trying to follow in that footstep and you know why it is being done so you hate it even more. :lol:

If it was really about fun, sure. I do think it is cute, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when the reasons it exists is incredibly obvious. It is like watching a commercial that suddenly gets popular, but you hate it, and then suddenly all commercials are trying to follow in that footstep and you know why it is being done so you hate it even more. :lol:

*Shrugs* I try not to care about harmless marketing, especially harmless marketing that is actually not utterly terrible. At least I can look at this and go "Yep, I see what they're advertising and I get it" unlike so many ads.

My point is that the changes implemented in Windows 10 could be simply installed via Windows update without creating a whole new OS. Though its nice to see that this time it won't cost anything to actually upgrade, otherwise I'd have an incoming rant at MS for forcing people to spend money on their OS.

I hear the same thing for every Windows release without exception. You can also apply the same logic on all software.

Yes, anything is possible in the software world, it isn't a tangible good. But this is way off topic, so I won't get into.

Wtf is this? Very childish and immature marketing from Microsoft. That's it. I'm moving to Linux..  /s

Now who wouldn't want this as wallpaper? Battery life be damned.

It matches up with this song. more or less lol

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Cat riding dinosaur was worth the wtf are you listening to look the female just gave me. Lol

Meh... I'm not a fan of the "lulz so random xD bacon n narwals are kewl xD" humor.

Seems like a poor attempt to appeal to reddit users, especially since they clearly want people to edit them (background is just a solid black color so you can easily cut them out).

I prefer their previous wacky wallpapers like this one from Windows 7. Far more creative and fun in my opinion:

post-216-0-68455300-1437581415_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-68455300-1437581415_thumb.jpg

Win7 wallpaper are official. These ones are more a few guys at Windows team that knows how to draw and made something.

Actually, the entire story started with an employee who had a sticker of the ninja cat on the unicorn breating fire. He made it for himself, for fun.

It got "famouse", among the community as he was doing some interview and had the system showing part of the sticker on camera. The interviewer didn't notice, he didn't purposefully show it, just people noticed and asked what was that? and wanted it.

So he made it in wallpaper forms and made 2 others.

with every windows news or microsoft news i hate them even more, they become worse than politicians that ignore societys problems

windows needs so many things, but the last thing it needs is more wallpapers it can come with a simple black background i couldnt care less if the real features and fixes were implemented it would be something

this is not even worth posting anywhere, no one gives a shit exept fanboys maybe

isn't that cat riding unicorn form the trials e3 dlc trailer or something like that?

with every windows news or microsoft news i hate them even more, they become worse than politicians that ignore societys problems

windows needs so many things, but the last thing it needs is more wallpapers it can come with a simple black background i couldnt care less if the real features and fixes were implemented it would be something

this is not even worth posting anywhere, no one gives a shit exept fanboys maybe

Nope. I think the problem is that you are anti-Microsoft (not saying that you are basher.. perhaps I am using the wrong word here, sorry for this), but I think you have this idea that everything Microsoft does is horrible. So you are not understanding the whole story or even want to be motivated in reading the whole story. And that is understandable. Many of us are like that on things we don't like very much. We just read the few words, and quickly assume the rest for the worst. The problem is when something change, like a company via new directions, we are not open to the idea.

I would recommend to stop, take a step back, breath, and see. You'll quickly notice that it was basically 1 guy at Microsoft that made these on his free time, and the team of Windows Insiders (not Windows developers, the one responsible in pre-testing and packaging Insider builds of Windows), to make them available, with permission from the creator. (well the creator made one, got popular, and made the others). You can see it is not professional work, it is a clearly a developer with pretty decent skills, and wanted to have fun on his free time.

These backgrounds aren't part of Windows 10 official release, and even if you are a Windows Insider, using Windows 10 beta, you don't have them built-in. You can download them from that blog post, that is all.

And you can't say "oh they should not have free time! They should work over time because this and that" is silly talk. Pushing developers to the edge only leads to poor quality product, and this is why AAA games from the big studios, when they are released are exactly that, very buggy. Quick coding is used due to limited time, this results in no time to think about what is being coded, which results in poorly optimized game, files are put on your system without much thought on where they should go (save files/temp files of the game), and filled with bugs. Quick coding is done a lot in the gaming world because the envirement is not pretty. Overtime is not paid, developers are paid per year via a contract, and the job needs to be done before X date without extension, because, next month, you can have a big game title and that would affect the sales. So dates are carefully selected way ahead in advance and non-movable, unless it is a serious issue case, where, for example, the game is simply not working. So, things are quickly rushed. I mean I don't think I need to list examples of bug AAA games from big studios to show this, we all know them very well.

And no you can't either argue: "Windows is a poor quality product". The complexity of an OS is incredibly high. That is why most OSs out there are based on Linux kernel or Unix, because very few people want to touch the complicated back end, and simply want to focus on the package, and the, what I call "the 10%', or if you prefer: what you and I see when we use an OS. Remember, the OS does all the work behind your computer. It, as the name suggests; Operates your System, else your computer is nothing more than an expensive door stop. And every big OS has a different school of thinking. More than that, it conatins many frameworks and systems, such as Universal Apps, Win32 (standards desktop application), new technology hardware support, and lots more.

-> MacOS is all about the end user experience. Everything must be nicely animated, nice looking, etc. Needs to be fast and responsive. Features? Those are done last. The result is what you see. A fine, very polished experience, but lack features and flexibility.

-> Linux based OS, is all about providing a strong back-end. All xWindows environments are lacking of any professionalism, and heck the font rendering is very poor, because it never manages to be a priority, and like most GUI stuff, most developers aren't exiting working on it, because it is, many times, lots of code, lots of compile, run, and see, which can take time, and boaring for most, especially if you are trying to get some animation smooth, or adjust something pixel perfect to something else. Yes, these days they are tools for software developers to make things better, but better is not perfect, and many sees it as an annoying task as mentioned. Also developers aren't designers, so it doesn't help on that front. In the case of font rendering, it is a very complex things to do, especially when you have an establish eco-system, you need to make sure that no software has problems with the changes. So that complicates things, further.

-> Windows, has a focus on GUI, Microsoft does have designers, but GUI is always put last, and sadly, because of this, it leads to never really completing the new GUI at 100%. Like a true: 100%. You'll still have old icons, you'll still have old dialog boxes, or menus not using the same designs, etc. Does it get improved over time with the next release (assuming little GUI tweaks only and not a new design), yes. Vista to Windows 7 is a perfect example of this.

So while they are many many many things that needs to be done, it's not going to be any different with or without these backgrounds. Post feedback on Microsoft channels, and hope that more people sees like you to get Microsoft to priorities it higher in their to-do list. But right now, the company is mostly busy with getting Windows 10 provide a reliable, solid experience (no BSOD everywhere mess). It might not be most polished Windows, but that is fixable via future versions. First impression of unstable experience and bug fest environment is more important for the company. They want Windows 10 to be a success in market share, and the most important part right now, is pleasing IT and businesses, so that they upgrade to Windows 10, as now it is their upgrade cycle to do so (follows a 6 year upgrade cycle). They won't upgrade day 1, they never do, but by the time Windows 10.1 is out they'll start, but they need a good impression in terms of reliability first, which is what businesses want and care about.

-snip-

Wow... You're projecting so hard we could point you towards a wall and run a Microsoft ad on it.

Almost nothing you said had anything to do with the post you're responding to and to be honest, your obsession with defending Microsoft makes you look like a shill.

Wow... You're projecting so hard we could point you towards a wall and run a Microsoft ad on it.

Almost nothing you said had anything to do with the post you're responding to and to be honest, your obsession with defending Microsoft makes you look like a shill.

Didn't it? I think it did answer perfectly. But someone said something positive, so he must be that company PR.. no.. worst.. the CEO!!! THE SHOCK! THE TWIST!

Please...