MS has just messed up with W10 for the first time

Bloodyvalley

YOU CAN'T DISABLE W10 HOME UPDATES

THIS IS PREPOSTEROUS!

Windows 10 updates are going to be automatic and mandatory for many users. Anyone who is using Windows 10 Home will be prevented from disabling Windows Update. The license terms for that version of the new operating system say users must let Microsoft automatically install updates.

22556-2f9edd78_596_400.jpg

So far, preview versions of Windows 10 haven't let Windows Update be disabled but some people believed that was just because they were preview versions. It turns out that's not the case. Windows 10 Build 10240 also prevents any disabling and it is believed to be the release build for the software.

22556-47917bd6_666_400.jpg

Windows Update in the current version of Windows, Windows 8.1, does let users disable updates and alter the way they are applied. There are effectively no options in the new version of Update.

Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.
- Microsoft

What about people who have a bandwidth limit? Way to go MS. This is a step backwards!!

the-witcher-3-other.jpg

months old.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

surprisingly, nobody posted about it.

Its been posted a lot

and its a GOOD THING

SINCE 75%+ HOME USERS DON"T INSTALL UPDATES EVER, then complain shit doesn't work

SO ITS A SMART MOVE on Ms's part.

Tech Savy people buy WIndows 10pro anyway. 

KEEP IN MIND YOU STILL PICK WHAT TIME IT RESTARTS, it WILL INSTALL but you choose when...Just like it currently is........

I am actually glad they did that,so I can forget about it but I can see your point though 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

we've known about this since they announced the features of W10 Home & Pro.

Great sensationalist headline. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

surprisingly, nobody posted about it.

Yes they did

Its been posted a lot

and its a GOOD THING

SINCE 75%+ HOME USERS DON"T INSTALL UPDATES EVER, then complain shit doesn't work

SO ITS A SMART MOVE on Ms's part.

KEEP IN MIND YOU STILL PICK WHAT TIME IT RESTARTS, it WILL INSTALL but you choose when...Just like it currently is........

Most "tech savy" people aren't buying 10 Pro because they are using a free upgrade to 10 Home. It's ridiculous to expect people to spend close to £100 on an OS over the free version just for the ability to select whether they want additional bloat to install alongside their security patches.

From what I've seen "tech savy" people bought Windows 7 Home Premium. It's the noobs who didn't know what the OS versions were who insisted on Ultimate for their home PC.

To be fair you shouldn't be mad at MS, you should be mad at your ISP for still imposing a bandwidth limit.

and at all the fools that never install updates.

and at all the fools that never install updates.

It's a godsent for people who do maintenance, and it will probably help improve security a lot. I don't like that you can't post pone restarting though.

i'm a potato

1. old af news.

2. Just get windows 10 pro. (I have 8.1 pro so I can upgrade to 10 pro :P)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The thing im pissed at is me being unable to turn off windows defender

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

It's a godsent for people who do maintenance, and it will probably help improve security a lot. I don't like that you can't post pone restarting though.

only good thing about people not installing updates is

$$$ for me, #techsupport

THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT.  It should be where you can download at your own time, and they automatically install them. That fucking works.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Windows defnder is great on windows 10

And add MBAM

and your set

anything more and your paranoid + visting sketchy sites.

there are "ways" to prevent windows updates still at ones disposal. this is really old news. to be fair, anyone not capable of figuring out how to disable or slow down updates should probably have their windows up to date for their own safety.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

That's actually really annoying. Defender was always causing me issues (and I have no desire to pay for pro). 

/MS should push out updates automatically by default, but there should be a way to disable it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT.  It should be where you can download at your own time, and they automatically install them. That fucking works.

Im pretty sure it downloads when idle or near idle.

Windows defnder is great on windows 10

And add MBAM

and your set

anything more and your paranoid + visting sketchy sites.

but sometimes i use sketchy files that it wont let me open and i cant change that

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

but sometimes i use sketchy files that it wont let me open and i cant change that

oh thats easy

i just hit allow works just fine for those "sketchy false detections"

2. Just get windows 10 pro. (I have 8.1 pro so I can upgrade to 10 pro :P)

You can't really disable it with Pro either. You can only block all updates (for a limited time), or install all updates. Those are your only options in Pro.

Anyway, old news. Was posted a long time ago.

You can still defer updates in Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise. You can even schedule your own time to restart instead of the OS choosing for you.

This has been known for months.