Which DDR4 to buy with Skylake Upgrade?

Is it worth to spend the extra money for DDR4 3000? Im not exactly on a budget but The price difference seems to be huge.

And somehow im missing dual channel packs 2x8GB instead of 4x4GB.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Given how little you gain on Haswell going from 1600 to 1866 or 2133, the likelihood that you'll gain appreciable performance in games or normal programs going from 2133 (base DDR4) to eg. 3000 is very low.

Is it worth to spend the extra money for DDR4 3000? Im not exactly on a budget but The price difference seems to be huge.

And somehow im missing dual channel packs 2x8GB instead of 4x4GB.

You should not spend extra for faster memory, but you will never really know until the platform is launched.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

2x8 lets you have more room for up grading. spending more for faster speeds will not do much 

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

You are unlikely to gain much going from Sandy Bridge to Skylake, let alone Skylake to Skylake-with-ever-so-slightly-faster-RAM

You are unlikely to gain much going from Sandy Bridge to Skylake, let alone Skylake to Skylake-with-ever-so-slightly-faster-RAM

Oh, well its an emergency upgrade. My Z68 board died. And i cant replace it with something acceptable, and i dont want to spend so much money on that little bit old rig.

This is more of an board and feature upgrade thing, maybe going for m.2 and stuff... The sandy will stay in use but with a cheap board and not as my main rig. (Maybe streaming platform)

Skylake will still support ddr3.  Just stick with the cheap stuff.

Yes the processor supports DDR3L not DDR3, but all z170 boards ive seen so far only support DDR4.

So one of my best choices would probably be 

16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400 DIMM CL15 Dual Kit

for 120€?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Given how little you gain on Haswell going from 1600 to 1866 or 2133, the likelihood that you'll gain appreciable performance in games or normal programs going from 2133 (base DDR4) to eg. 3000 is very low.

But games like battlefield benefits from faster clocked rams.

And ddr4 features and functions density speeds will be of used in the long run.

Hmm.. the cheapest DDR4-3000 is about 50€ more expansive then the G.Skill Dual Kit, and comes as Quad Kit.

I cant find Dual Kits for DDR4-3000 to buy right now.

And ddr4 features and functions density speeds will be of used in the long run.

Only very slightly. And only up to 2133 in Bit-Tech's test; 2133 to 2400 made no difference even when they ran the game at low settings on a 290X (ie. turned the GPU load way down to put as much load on the rest of the system as possible).

Only very slightly. And only up to 2133 in Bit-Tech's test; 2133 to 2400 made no difference even when they ran the game at low settings on a 290X (ie. turned the GPU load way down to put as much load on the rest of the system as possible).

Well it looks like i cant justify buying bling bling GEIL Super Luce DDR4-3000 then 

Well it looks like i cant justify buying bling bling GEIL Super Luce DDR4-3000 then 

Dude... Klevv CRAS FTW.... damn their sexy...

If they get more RAM in stock, ill totally buy some when i move bad onto AMD some day in the future

(crosses fingers that Zen/Zen+ will be a dealbreaker)

Dude... Klevv CRAS FTW.... damn their sexy...

If they get more RAM in stock, ill totally buy some when i move bad onto AMD some day in the future

(crosses fingers that Zen/Zen+ will be a dealbreaker)

I dont trust AMD to bring a good product to the market. They became sloppy for years now.

I dont trust AMD to bring a good product to the market. They became sloppy for years now.

I wouldnt go as far as saying one shouldnt trust them. They made a solid product stack with the 300 series. Sure its just a upgrade of the 200 series, but their products now compete, and win against most of their counterparts.

All AMD really needs to make a solid product is community backing. Having people harp on you all day long doesnt exactly inspire much confidence or enthusiasm, does it? Their engineers and marketing people may very well be thrawling these forums, we wouldnt know. But just going about and saying "they made shit product before, all new must be shit too, probably", is like saying "Comcast doesnt screw over their customers"......

eh not realy. :)

I wouldnt go as far as saying one shouldnt trust them. They made a solid product stack with the 300 series. Sure its just a upgrade of the 200 series, but their products now compete, and win against most of their counterparts.

All AMD really needs to make a solid product is community backing. Having people harp on you all day long doesnt exactly inspire much confidence or enthusiasm, does it? Their engineers and marketing people may very well be thrawling these forums, we wouldnt know. But just going about and saying "they made shit product before, all new must be shit too, probably", is like saying "Comcast doesnt screw over their customers"......

True The 300 series are well made, now imagine what had happen if this refresh was released in this state when the graphics chip came to the market. This graphics cards would had blown everyone. For now its just a well made refresh which was released to late. Before Bulldozer came out everyone was hyped. What happened? Yeah it flopped because it was already a Bad product when released. Phenom II was still The better choice. (Last good AMD CPU). Through several refreshes they hardly reached to slightly beat there own older product. Thats sad. I cant take that company serious anymore with its beta designed products which become competetive after x refreshes and time. We will See if they will be able to break The curse with sen. But i speculate it to be The next flop until sen+

True The 300 series are well made, now imagine what had happen if this refresh was released in this state when the graphics chip came to the market. This graphics cards would had blown everyone. For now its just a well made refresh which was released to late. Before Bulldozer came out everyone was hyped. What happened? Yeah it flopped because it was already a Bad product when released. Phenom II was still The better choice. (Last good AMD CPU). Through several refreshes they hardly reached to slightly beat there own older product. Thats sad. I cant take that company serious anymore with its beta designed products which become competetive after x refreshes and time. We will See if they will be able to break The curse with sen. But i speculate it to be The next flop until sen+

well, people were hyped about Bulldozer because it had been trashing Intel and IBM for a while in the professional server market. Ofcourse, when looking at performace figures like that, you cannot deny it as good. However server grade software is more optimized and tailored to the hardware then consumer grade, therefor i believe that until a few AMD games such as Battlefield 4 and Thief, i dont think we aw the true potential. However, one cannot sell hardware dependent on software optimisation in the consumer market. The actors in the consumer section is too lazy and too sloppy to optimize anything.

AMD bet their money on the wrong horse, and they got punished for it. That being said, its not like Intel hasnt done the same shit, look at Pentium 3 and Pentium 4.... They didnt exactly hit the mark there... I will note that AMD has been stuck with their mess for longer, on the flip side, looking at Steamroller and Excavator in particular, it is not often you see this level of refinement in any architecture version. Not to say AMD makes sloppy products, they probably didnt know of how to perfect it right away, however it leads to an interesting question. How much undiscovered potential is there in say.. Haswell, Broadwell or the upcoming Skylake if they bothered to look deeper into it.

I shall not point fingers, but refining architectures, rather then just start anew each time, if they had bothered, the reduced cost of RnD could probably cause CPU and perhaps GPU prices (if GPU architectures were refined in the same manner) by quite a bit...

if you're a gamer ddr4 is pointless and a waste of money. youll get zero gains in performance.

likewise skylake isn't likely to be a huge jump in performance for gaming, its not like current processors at the top end are struggling..

I'd wait for ddr4 to mature and then adopt the platform.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

if you're a gamer ddr4 is pointless and a waste of money. youll get zero gains in performance.

likewise skylake isn't likely to be a huge jump in performance for gaming, its not like current processors at the top end are struggling..

I'd wait for ddr4 to mature and then adopt the platform.

I cant wait, for better DDR4 timings.

Motherboard died, wanted to get more RAM anyway because im stuck on 8GB DDR3 1333.

its not worth buying old stuff or search for good boards for weeks again.

I thought twice about buying devils canyon but there is no reason to. Performance will be about the same at minimum + im getting all the cool new features, drivers, pci-e lanes, m.2 support etc. when buying Skylake instead.

enough Z77 series motherboards that wil support your sandy bridge cpu

imho dont buy new system just for ddr4

I cant wait, for better DDR4 timings.

Motherboard died, wanted to get more RAM anyway because im stuck on 8GB DDR3 1333.

its not worth buying old stuff or search for good boards for weeks again.

I thought twice about buying devils canyon but there is no reason to. Performance will be about the same at minimum + im getting all the cool new features, drivers, pci-e lanes, m.2 support etc. when buying Skylake instead.

but unless you're a hardcore video or picture editor you'd get no gains from faster ram.

you could have 10,000mhz and it would perform the same as 1530Mhz in games

there's no benefit in games from ddr2 to 3.

if you're upgrading to skylake and only want to play games all you'll be doing g is paying more for the same.

by all means go skylake and ddr4 if money is no object, but don't go buying it thinking you'll get a vastly better experience than the current high end offerings.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

but unless you're a hardcore video or picture editor you'd get no gains from faster ram.

you could have 10,000mhz and it would perform the same as 1530Mhz in games

there's no benefit in games from ddr2 to 3.

if you're upgrading to skylake and only want to play games all you'll be doing g is paying more for the same.

by all means go skylake and ddr4 if money is no object, but don't go buying it thinking you'll get a vastly better experience than the current high end offerings.

i dont expect better experience than the current high end offerings, i just expect it to be similar.

Im not upgrading because of DDR-4 or performance gains. Im upgrading because i dont like to buy second hand hardware to replace my motherboard, which i would had to do since they are no new (unused) motherboards available in my region that cover my needs. And i wanted to buy more RAM anyway, 8GB weren't enough for the stuff im doing. And instead of buying 8GB DDR3 1333 i would had bought 16GB DDR3 2400 (to use it as 2133).

I dont see the profit of buying a 3 year old second hand Gigabyte Motherboard for 400€ just to get my old rig running with the features i need/want. I will probably buy a cheap non-OC board for that sandy and use it as second PC for some tasks or maybe making a gift out of it for a friend with much worse hardware. So it wont retire thats for sure.

The question of the topic just was, is it worth to pay the extra money for higher RAM speeds. f.e. DDR4-2400 vs DDR4-3000. Not DDR3 vs DDR4 in any way.

i dont expect better experience than the current high end offerings, i just expect it to be similar.

Im not upgrading because of DDR-4 or performance gains. Im upgrading because i dont like to buy second hand hardware to replace my motherboard, which i would had to do since they are no new (unused) motherboards available in my region that cover my needs. And i wanted to buy more RAM anyway, 8GB weren't enough for the stuff im doing. And instead of buying 8GB DDR3 1333 i would had bought 16GB DDR3 2400 (to use it as 2133).

I dont see the profit of buying a 3 year old second hand Gigabyte Motherboard for 400€ just to get my old rig running with the features i need/want. I will probably buy a cheap non-OC board for that sandy and use it as second PC for some tasks or maybe making a gift out of it for a friend with much worse hardware. So it wont retire thats for sure.

The question of the topic just was, is it worth to pay the extra money for higher RAM speeds. f.e. DDR4-2400 vs DDR4-3000. Not DDR3 vs DDR4 in any way.

Yes but it's a pointless question without context. like everyone's said it will make ZERO difference in games.. are you a gamer? if yes.. buy the slowest ddr4 possible. if you're a video editing professional then buy the fastest possible.

an explanation of pc use would help.. if you just play games and Web browse fast ram isn't a benefit.

rendering, photo and video editing ect the faster the better.

Yes but it's a pointless question without context. like everyone's said it will make ZERO difference in games.. are you a gamer? if yes.. buy the slowest ddr4 possible. if you're a video editing professional then buy the fastest possible.

an explanation of pc use would help.. if you just play games and Web browse fast ram isn't a benefit.

rendering, photo and video editing ect the faster the better.

I use my PC for everything, and i dont want to specialize it for a single task, Else i could get a Playstation 4.

But atleast ive found some kind of hints on Anandtech's Haswell-E DDR4 scaling Review.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8959/ddr4-haswell-e-scaling-review-2133-to-3200-with-gskill-corsair-adata-and-crucial/10

shouldn't be much off for skylake. (they recommend to buy nothing below DDR4-2400 CL15)

Which is in the same price range as DDR4-2133