There is no "new" Snapdragon 810

Aniallation

Source: https://www.androidpit.com/oneplus-2-takes-heat-over-controversial-specs-claims

Looks like all the hype for the "new" Snapdragon 810 wasn't all that it was to be. The supposed "new" version of the chip that is used in the Sony Z3+ still overheats quickly even with it's heatpipe cooler. The OnePlus 2 is expected to use the same chip as the Sony and in that case it's nothing revolutionary from what we've seen before in the 810.

The ensuing scandal has caused the 810 to be the focal point of every problem experienced by those manufacturers that chose to use it. LG suffered from throttling and performance issues in the G Flex 2, HTC initially had a hot mess on its hands with the One M9 and the Sony Xperia Z3+ continues to crash after running the camera app for a few seconds. This is the CPU OnePlus opted to go with.

Why, you might ask? OnePlus supposedly has a special, revised version of the Snapdragon 810 guaranteed to be ''cooler than ever''. OnePlus made much of v2.1 being an ''improved version of the chipset'' when it announced the controversial CPU as the first of its gradual specs reveals. This led to the conclusion that there was a second, completely revised version of the original 810 v2.0 made especially for the OnePlus 2. But there isn't.

oneplus-two-snapdragon-810-v-2-1-revu-mo
It's going to be the same Snapdragon 810 as all the others.

We asked Qualcomm to verify these claims. Yesterday, a spokesman told AndroidPIT that, ''there is only one Snapdragon 810 processor.'' This echoes the claims made by HTC's Jeff Gordon on Twitter, the spark which ignited this latest controversy. So how is OnePlus claiming to have a new 810 that nobody else has? They aren't. If we all got that impression it's because OnePlus is clever at marketing spin.

So where does this idea of a second, re-tooled Snapdragon 810 come from? The whole v2.1 angle. But that doesn't mean what most people think it means. ''Qualcomm consistently works to make enhancements to its products throughout their lifecycle and the Snapdragon 810 processor is no exception," as Qualcomm said in a separate statement, which AndroidPIT received yesterday. "Virtually all OEMs who have announced devices based on the Snapdragon 810 processor are currently using version 2.1 of the accompanying software.''

The v2.1 update is not a brand new chip that has been specially produced to avoid heat issues, but rather a standard update to an existing chip. An update which virtually all other OEMs already have, including HTC and Sony. Sony confirmed to AndroidPIT today that both the Xperia Z3+ and Z4 Tablet are both running the v2.1 Snapdragon 810. HTC has also demonstrated that the One M9 runs v2.1 as well. 

ed3a20a7fb.png
*Not Jeff Gordon the race car driver

To its credit, OnePlus reportedly has an additional heatsink in the OnePlus 2 to help dissipate heat from the processor better than perhaps Sony or LG were able to. But we'll have to wait and see. We can't say what additional improvements OnePlus has made to the 2 that may affect its performance or ability to dissipate heat and, for obvious reasons, the 810 will perform differently in different devices. We simply want to point out that the Snapdragon 810 in the OnePlus 2 is, for all intents and purposes, no different to the one already out there in other 2015 flagships.

An LG spokesman told us that, as far as LG is concerned, there is only one 810. There's nothing clever about telling consumers that one has a better product than the competition. OnePlus took an essentially meaningless term and let us fill it up with significance it simply didn't possess. Well played. But the jig seems to be up now. If the OnePlus 2 has the exact same CPU as the One M9, Xperia Z3+ and G Flex 2, does that mean it will suffer the same overheating and thermal throttling issues that have plagued those earlier devices? We don't know. We're not saying the OnePlus 2 will overheat. We're not saying the Snapdragon 810 in the OnePlus 2 will be any better or worse than it has been in other Android devices this year. We're simply setting the record straight. We reached out to OnePlus for additional comment and the company is sticking to its guns: ''The OnePlus 2 was built to optimize our hardware and software around the improved version of the Snapdragon 810 chip, v2.1''.

"Rawr XD"

TL;DR : Software/firmware under clocks to reduce the effects of the thermal throttling? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

They can feed us as much as they want, at the end of the day it's just words until the actual product comes out. I mean, qualcomm needs to step up their game, and start learning from Apple, improve the chips where it matters instead of throwing more cores at the problem, there's no point having 8 cores if a bunch of them aren't going to be used.

Sony doesn't make the Snapdragon chips; Qualcomm does.

Yea I got confused on that too

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

^^ Not that hard to understand

Sony doesn't make the Snapdragon chips; Qualcomm does.

Yea I got confused on that too

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Wait wait wait. Hold on a moment...

OnePlus supposedly has a special, revised version of the Snapdragon 810 guaranteed to be ''cooler than ever''. OnePlus made much of v2.1 being an ''improved version of the chipset'' when it announced the controversial CPU as the first of its gradual specs reveals. This led to the conclusion that there was a second, completely revised version of the original 810 v2.0 made especially for the OnePlus 2. But there isn't.

Where did this come from? Who in their right mind actually read the OnePlus announcement and went "oh so OnePlus will have a custom made SoC for their phone!".

If you're now wondering just what exactly that v2.1 references, it's actually just a software revision.

Now that's just wrong. In fact, Androidpit contradicts themselves later in the post when they say that there has been a change to the manufacturing. Even the statement from Qualcomm disagrees with them. "The software flag that changed from 2.0 to 2.1 simply showed a revision point that reflected this combination of software implementations and process improvement."

It is interesting to hear that other OEMs supposedly use the revised version of the 810 though. I find it hard to believe that Anandtech and other websites would have missed that though, especially since even the clock rate on the GPU changed between revisions. I haven't heard of Androidpit before but the article seems pretty bad so I wouldn't trust them.

Edit: Never mind they are correct.

It seems like all 810 devices do use version 2.1. However, the first devices to use the 810 used version 2.0 and have now been updated to 2.1. So if you have an M9 from launch date you might have version 2.0, and if you go out and buy an M9 today you might get one with version 2.1.

Qualcomm just made a revision and then stopped making version 2.0. That's why LG said that there is only one Snapdragon 810.

The chip that Sony is using....

When you say "John's car", it doesn't mean John made the car.

"Sony's supposed 'new' version of the chip still overheats quickly even with it's heatpipe cooler."

>Implies that Sony made the chip. 

"The supposed 'new' version of the of chip that Sony is using still overheats quickly even with its headpipe cooler."

>Proper way.

COMIC SANS

Umm let's see

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

"Sony's supposed 'new' version of the chip still overheats quickly even with it's heatpipe cooler."

>Implies that Sony made the chip. 

"The supposed 'new' version of the of chip that Sony is using still overheats quickly even with its headpipe cooler."

>Proper way.

The English teachers must be very fond of you.

"Rawr XD"

They can feed us as much as they want, at the end of the day it's just words until the actual product comes out. I mean, qualcomm needs to step up their game, and start learning from Apple, improve the chips where it matters instead of throwing more cores at the problem, there's no point having 8 cores if a bunch of them aren't going to be used.

*cough* MediaTek *ahem*

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

The English teachers must be very fond of you.

No proper return argument so you give a snarky remark. How cute.

If you want to be grammatically incorrect, fine, go ahead. I'm just trying to help. 

COMIC SANS

^^ Not that hard to understand

Looks like all the hype for the "new" Snapdragon 810 wasn't all that it was to be. Sony's supposed "new" version of the chip" I mean he said the model then said Sonys chip. Sounded like he was misinformed @TopWargamer I think he would agree 

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

No proper return argument so you give a snarky remark. How cute.

I genuinely wonder why everyone in the tech news section must be sensitive douches. Now I remember why I don't come in here very often and why the news reporter crew don't go out on the forum to actually help others very often, unlike what I do on the forum. 

If you live in a world where not everyone had English as their first language you should learn to respect that at least.

"Rawr XD"

I genuinely wonder why everyone in the tech news section must be sensitive douches. Now I remember why I don't come in here very often and why the news reporter crew don't go out on the forum to actually help others very often, unlike what I do on the forum. 

I actually agree with this. Although some regulars on here are nice, many people aren't, and I find that people who don't post threads in here very often when they do they get corrected left and right, which there is a lot of in the replies to this thread compared to the number of useful responses. Not everyone is alike and conforms to the same standards when making a tech news thread.

If you live in a world where not everyone had English as their first language you should learn to respect that at least.

Woah, hold on a second. You do realize that you're the one who lashed out, right? *You* started being snarky. My goodness man, I was trying to help you. How on earth am I suppose to know that English isn't your first language? I don't know these things. If anything that strengthens my argument because me fixing an error of yours will help you improve your English. Is that a bad thing? No, it's not. 

And listen man, you do your thing on the forum, and we do our thing. You help people with whatever issues they're having (assuming computer related) and we help people stay informed. We both serve a duty on this forum and not everybody is suited for every task. I wouldn't want somebody not knowledgeable helping me (i.e. most Best Buy employees), so if I don't know the answer to the situation, then I won't help the person, because I don't know what the answer is and I don't want to mess the person up. That's fair. Personally, I also spend a lot of time in the Mobile Devices section, because it's what I know, what I like, and what I want to help others with. 

Everybody who regularly contributes to Tech News wants everything to be reported accurately and correctly. If we didn't fact check and correct people I could easily write up a blog post saying that computers can run on rainbows and then post it as news, and then we would be Gawker. We don't want to be like Gawker. So I apologize if fact checking and correcting comes off as being a douche. I think you're just being a little too sensitive. 

COMIC SANS

Woah, hold on a second. You do realize that you're the one who lashed out, right? *You* started being snarky. My goodness man, I was trying to help you. How on earth am I suppose to know that English isn't your first language? I don't know these things. If anything that strengthens my argument because me fixing an error of yours will help you improve your English. Is that a bad thing? No, it's not. 

And listen man, you do your thing on the forum, and we do our thing. You help people with whatever issues they're having (assuming computer related) and we help people stay informed. We both serve a duty on this forum and not everybody is suited for every task. I wouldn't want somebody not knowledgeable helping me (i.e. most Best Buy employees), so if I don't know the answer to the situation, then I won't help the person, because I don't know what the answer is and I don't want to mess the person up. That's fair. Personally, I also spend a lot of time in the Mobile Devices section, because it's what I know, what I like, and what I want to help others with. 

Everybody who regularly contributes to Tech News wants everything to be reported accurately and correctly. If we didn't fact check and correct people I could easily write up a blog post saying that computers can run on rainbows and then post it as news, and then we would be Gawker. We don't want to be like Gawker. So I apologize if fact checking and correcting comes off as being a douche. I think you're just being a little too sensitive. 

I do appreciate and thank you for the correction and I happily changed it in the OP a while ago. The point I was just trying to make was that, as EcoBoost stated, it didn't take that long to comprehend correctly and this thread had a noticeable amount of correction and criticism compared to actual insight and discussion on the topic. I do apologize if I was coming off rough, I was just a bit annoyed at the fact that even the first reply was that the "810" in the first sentence of the OP was misspelled "801", and the few replies this topic was getting was more of TL;DR and correction then actual discussion regarding the tech news. Both corrections were a part of my personal opinion, which is subject to my writing and as I stated English is definitely not my best subject, but the quoted text still remains sic. On top of many many previous bad experiences with this section that have left a bad reputation on the section as a whole (likely not yourself, I'm sure you're a good person). 

Again I do apologize and appreciate your efforts, I'd just like some more contribution to the thread in terms of what it's supposed to address rather then the spelling issues, none of which make it unreadable nor the quoted source inaccurate. 

"Rawr XD"

I do appreciate and thank you for the correction and I happily changed it in the OP a while ago. The point I was just trying to make was that, as EcoBoost stated, it didn't take that long to comprehend correctly and this thread had a noticeable amount of correction and criticism compared to actual insight and discussion on the topic. I do apologize if I was coming off rough, I was just a bit annoyed at the fact that even the first reply was that the "810" in the first sentence of the OP was misspelled "801", and the few replies this topic was getting was more of TL;DR and correction then actual discussion regarding the tech news. Both corrections were a part of my personal opinion, which is subject to my writing and as I stated English is definitely not my best subject, but the quoted text still remains sic. On top of many many previous bad experiences with this section that have left a bad reputation on the section as a whole (likely not yourself, I'm sure you're a good person). 

Again I do apologize and appreciate your efforts, I'd just like some more contribution to the thread in terms of what it's supposed to address rather then the spelling issues, none of which make it unreadable nor the quoted source inaccurate. 

And you're definitely right. I do apologize for carrying on in the thread without actually contributing to it. Listen man, you're the more than welcome to post what you want here. It helps a lot! 

But anyways...

OT:

This *is* a very interesting issue. This basically makes all of the marketing of the "Snapdragon 810 v2.1" irrelevant, because there's nothing necessarily new about it... So in reality, the heating issues come from the OEMs who don't provide adequate heat distribution for the chip... Very interesting. So Qualcomm isn't 100% to blame here... Grant it, they still take most of the blame for making a somewhat warm chip, but the OEMs are about equally responsible... 

Well OnePlus, let's see how well or bad the thermal throttling is on the OnePlus Two... Very curious about the results now. 

COMIC SANS

the few replies this topic was getting was more of TL;DR and correction then actual discussion regarding the tech news. 

I'm sorry, I couldn't be bothered reading it at the time, phone news doesn't really excite me that's all. I mean phones do more than I can ask for, my One plus One is solid and I have no plans of upgrading soon. Most the time I post they're half assed comments, just my nature, very lazy :P. But when it comes to something like VR or quadcopters I will most likely talk about the tech more often. 

Also regarding the corrections, people on the internet like correcting. I mean I do it all the time, it's like a bloody drug or something haha :S

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

So in reality, the heating issues come from the OEMs who don't provide adequate heat distribution for the chip... Very interesting.

I find this quite interesting as well due to the two sides of the argument for it. Some say that Sony made a new thermal solution for the Z3+ and it's 810 while some people say they reused the same heatpipe cooling solution from the Z3 with it's 801. And on top of that, this "independent test" actually showed that the 810 runs cooler then the 801 (but no mention of how much throttling happened on each chip): http://pocketnow.com/2015/02/16/snapdragon-810-overheating-2

So with all 810s being the same I guess it is up to how the manufacturer's handle it's heat, but I guess now it's sort of towards the stereotype of AMD running hot where you actually had to put a lot of consideration into cooling methods compared to competitors. I'd assume that in the unreasonable case where all of these different 810 devices and their cooling designs used the S6's Exynos chip that all of them would keep temperatures well in check, so Qualcomm is still at partial fault here, but if OEMs continue to want to stick with their SoCs it makes sense that they should also be responsible for making sure the hot chip gets cooled properly, just as OEMs for computers do when putting in hotter-running AMD chips.

"Rawr XD"