[Now with a poll!] SSD Dilemma

Hey forum, I have a dilemma.

So I waited for Prime Day to come around.

I was going to buy an 850 Evo 250GB, so I did.

Then there was a good deal on the BX100 250GB, so I bought that too. I now have both.

vYv4WPe.png

I know that the 850 Evo is worth more and should perform a bit better and that the BX100 should perform only slightly worse and is meant to be more reliable, but I'm wondering: What should I do with them?

1) Do I use the 850 Evo and try to sell the BX100?

2) Do I use the BX100 and try to sell the 850 Evo?

3) Do I use both and call it a super awesome upgrade? If so, should I/can I raid them to have a ~500GB effective boot drive at about 1GB/s?

Both SSDs are still in the box as of time of posting.

If this post is in the wrong place, please move it.

Sig under construction.

raid :P

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Use one for your games?

I would keep 850 Evo and sell BX100 later on.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Well.... I have 2 SSDs and use one just to put Skyrim on it. 

You could also save one of the SSDs for a smaller build.

Or you could give me one of them  :ph34r: 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Well if you were to sell it what would you get instead?

If I were to keep 1 of them I'd keep the 850 EVO. But in raid....holy shit, best boot drive ever! You'd easily get 1GB/s.

IMO I would just raid em' and be done with it. 500GB of insanely fast storage to put all of your big files on. You could put some pretty big games on there and still have plenty of room.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Givaway?  :D

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

send one my way ;)

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

those are both 250GB versions, right?

Raid 0 is the way to go then.

When in doubt: C4

Isn't the BX less reliable?

I don't know. I've heard that Crucial SSDs are designed with reliability in mind more than other brands and that it generally shows.

Sig under construction.

I don't know. I've heard that Crucial SSDs are designed with reliability in mind more than other brands and that it generally shows.

The MX yes But the bx...

The MX yes But the bx...

I'm looking into it.

If I were to raid 0 them and use Windows 7, should stuff like TRIM just work?

Sig under construction.

The MX yes But the bx...

it's pretty good.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

I'm looking into it.

If I were to raid 0 them and use Windows 7, should stuff like TRIM just work?

Yeah it'll work just fine.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

those are both 250GB versions, right?

Raid 0 is the way to go then.

it's pretty good.

Now I have another question about the BX100.

hBtA8CL.png

It says 72TB endurance - does that mean overall or per day or something?

Sig under construction.

Now I have another question about the BX100.

It says 72TB endurance - does that mean overall or per day or something?

No I think that's in it's life time.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

No I think that's in it's life time.

Right. Because that seems kinda low compared to what the old 840 Pro managed to do.

But then I'm assuming that I can generally expect that I can get more than the rating and that it's not a huge deal in the first place?

Sig under construction.

Right. Because that seems kinda low compared to what the old 840 Pro managed to do.

But then I'm assuming that I can generally expect that I can get more than the rating and that it's not a huge deal in the first place?

Definitely. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Raid 0 those puppies and enjoy those 1GB/s speeds :D

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Definitely. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Raid 0 those puppies and enjoy those 1GB/s speeds :D

Right. I've just seen a video where people tested the 840 Pro and wrote 2500 or so TB out of it before it just outright died, and I'm thinking that this seems pretty low compared to that.

Sig under construction.

Yeah it'll work just fine.

I suppose you bought an SSD with the intention to use it. So use the Samsung as internal and turn the BX100 into a blazing fast portable drive.

Either RAID, or use one in another computer.

Right, well I guess I'm gonna raid them. It just feels weird raiding 2 different SSDs.

Any strong arguments against doing it before I go ahead?

Sig under construction.

Right, well I guess I'm gonna raid them. It just feels weird raiding 2 different SSDs.

Any strong arguments against doing it before I go ahead?

The only "issue" I could foresee is that, if one SSD is advertised to run faster than the other one, then they will both run at the slowest speed. If the slower SSD was going to be fast enough for you, then this won't be a problem.

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it