Unofficial Basic Guide To CPU's

Update 3: Chipsets has been added!

It's a little sloppy, since chipsets are a difficult and confusing subject. If I made any mistakes, please point them out!

If anyone has any further questions, please, don't hesitate to ask!

Next on the list is cache. This will take a long time, since I'll be out of home for a few days, and I don't know how cache works exactly myself. But I'll get it done as soon as possible!

@TomvanWijnen @starcoaster @Ceatra

linus explained cache quiet well in this video... maybe you can use this? :)

Can you explain North Bridges? and South Bridges?  ^_^

A good suggestion, but if I were to make this, it will remain on the bottom of my priority list: it will only be made if everything else I have planned is finished.

Why?

Not because it's a bad suggestion, but because of what I said in the beginning.

In this post, I'm going to explain as much things that matter for consumers, when it comes to CPU's.

The purpose of this guide is that, after someone reads it, (s)he should be able to know exactly what CPU is good for him and her. As well while understanding all the specifications, as long as they are relevant and important to consumers.

Don't worry, I find it a great suggestion and will eventually definitely add this, but not before everything else is finished.

linus explained cache quiet well in this video... maybe you can use this? :)

That's great! Thanks for the help!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

-snip-

Ok, i'll wait... i'm a patient person *not*

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

• 3 weeks later...

Update 4: Cache has been added!

This took a very long time, sorry about that. Got some issues that I had to deal with first, and then when I finally DID get around writing this, I find almost no information about cache. I did my best, but please, correct any mistakes!

Side note: I deleted Situation A2 from the Cores and Threads chapter, AKA hyperthreading. I couldn't figure out how to show it, with no misinformation, without confusing anybody. Maybe later on I will make it, but there's no real point in doing so right now.

Next up: PLX Chips!

@TomvanWijnen, @starcoaster, @Ceatra

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

Update 5: Instruction Set Architecture and their expansions have been added!

This is the first secondary chapter. Basically, this chapter will increase your knowledge, but it won't make you any better at choosing a good CPU, unless you do very specific tasks.

This was definitely a confusing thing, but I made it! only surpassed my deadline with 23 minutes, so you know. That's good. :P

Hope you guys enjoy it!

@TomvanWijnen @starcoaster @Ceatra

EDIT: about PLX chips. Basically, the internet is full of discussion about this. Some people say it has latency issues, others find it fine. Others find it unneccesary, others love it. I don't have the means to test it myself, but if anyone could, I would love some help! Untill then, I won't be able to work on it though. My excuses for this @TomvanWijnen.

On the other hand, I plan on adding a small piece about RAM in the following weeks, and then maybe start a GPU article. Or maybe RAM. Maybe Motherboards. Anyone ideas? :P

Basic guide to CPU's!

• 1 year later...