Cheap iPhone is a confirmed thing now

TopWargamer

Apple was suppose to be a premium company and now they are doing this. If you cant afford a iPhone don't get one. Its like Bugatti making a cheaper Veyron, it just doesn't make sense.

This is such a bad idea....it's like eating kobe beef for years then someone throws a raw chicken in your face to eat.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

I'm in the market for a new phone around the 250 euro mark (Samsung GS3 mini money). Depends on the price. I may take a look at it instead of seeing if I can find a used iphone.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

It'll be Hummer all over again. Hummer was only for the people who had to have the most expensive things. Then they made cheaper versions and the rich people stopped buying Hummers.

It'll be Hummer all over again. Hummer was only for the people who had to have the most expensive things. Then they made cheaper versions and the rich people stopped buying Hummers.

There's a heck of a lot more money to be made from the non-rich folks than the rich ones, because there are a whole lot more people that can afford 300-400 dollars for a phone than can afford 600-700 (or a contract for one). Actively choosing to ignore the majority of the market is a very brave decision right now.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

It's going to be the same as with the iPad mini, and by that I mean that they will take a 2 year old device and slap its components into a new form factor.

I miss Steve Jobs.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

There's a heck of a lot more money to be made from the non-rich folks than the rich ones, because there are a whole lot more people that can afford 300-400 dollars for a phone than can afford 600-700 (or a contract for one). Actively choosing to ignore the majority of the market is a very brave decision right now.

What I'm saying is that the majority of people don't buy iPhone's for what they are, they buy them because they are a status symbol.

What I'm saying is that the majority of people don't buy iPhone's for what they are, they buy them because they are a status symbol.

If I got an iPhone, it would be because I wanted a phone that simply worked without any input lag when scrolling, and the OS patches when they are released and not 3 years later when my carrier decides I should get them. If I can get that in a phone that is within my price bracket, I have no problem with a plastic case.

While you may be right, I really don't think 90% of people that buy iphones buy them for their status symbol. It is such a widely known product and most people seem to like them. When almost everyone and their mom has one, it's not a status thing

I genuinely wouldn't buy one unless it was less than A$100. Because the only thing that impresses me is raw data, the actual numbers. And so far for everything I do and most people probably, the HTC desire (3years old) does everything. Or if you want slightly smaller the wildfire which is only $130.

A new Iphone for cheaper is still an Iphone an still overpriced.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

To expensive, badly made, plasticy and horrible, the iphone is slow and under powered anyway.. It's a hipster's dream. (And a chav's for that)

How is the iPhone slow? Its OS and apps are optimised, unlike its competitors. iPhones don't require back braking specs in order to achieve the same goals as everyone else. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

The OS might be a lightweight version of the regular iphone and would perform not so well when playing games.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

To expensive, badly made, plasticy and horrible, the iphone is slow and under powered anyway.. It's a hipster's dream. (And a chav's for that)

That's a very broad and definitive statement about a phone that doesn't really exist nor have you used.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Apple was suppose to be a premium company and now they are doing this. If you cant afford a iPhone don't get one. Its like Bugatti making a cheaper Veyron, it just doesn't make sense.

its called the Porche and Bettle :p

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Except with apple you pay for the premium body of those said cars, however the engine they decide to include is one of those tiny smart car engines, and if you pay hand over fist more you might be lucky to get a 4 cylinder engine :P.

Apple is a big fail now. At least you could appreciate that they really were trying to create premium good products but they blew it hugely when the sued Samsung...

Samsung is EVERYWHERE. I have a Samsung fridge for example.

Not only did Samsung brush off the losses they used it as the big push to get the galaxy out. It's now the direct hip rival of the iPhone. You then have Samsung producing the cheapo galaxy y and stuff for casual users. Apple can't compete.

Samsung sells a lot more phones than apple, this plastic iPhone is apples peer pressure giving in.

IF it's true, then what people need to consider is that, although they will likely offer it in established markets (ie: USA/Canada/etc.), that it's main purpose is for emerging markets (ie: India/China) where they are currently selling iPhone 4's like hotcakes.

It's true that Samsung sells more phones, and it's likely true that Apple will take a hit to their profit margins with a phone like this, but it's a pretty important thing for cell phone makers to get people into their ecosystem as well.

Different strokes for different folks.  The person who wants the cheaper phone is going to look at the person who got the expensive one and think to themselves 'hah, I got the same phone for a lot less, and I don't really care about its aesthetics as much', whereas the person who got the flagship phone will say to themselves 'hah, my phone is way better, and I don't care that I paid more'.