So I killed my k70 rgb

Nathan
Go to solution Solved by Nathan,

Get that sucker bone dry. Like days to dry. Contact Corsair anyway to see if they can replace it. I hate seeing a keyboard that expensive get ruined, I feel sorry for you, man.

plugged it in to see if shit was still the same from last night... but it flashed the stock red / white colours.. and the key strokes were being recognized.

At first it would constantly mash F11 without me doing anything, chrome was not happy going in and out of full screen. that stopped, started checking the keys, and every now and then it would do something like dshnfujdh randomly, but then that stopped. went through colours of the leds, and certain ones would mess up randomly, if i set everything to white, a few would go yellow... all green, a few (but different keys from before) would go blue.... cycled through colours a bit until they all worked..

I just got incredibly lucky with this

this all happened ~10 minutes ago, and im typing on it now.

Its been around 30c here the past few days, i guess this is one time that im happy for the heat.

Of course water got spilled all over my keyboard, unplugged it, noticed there was a fair bit but wasnt too worried because it was only water so it wasnt going to make anything sticky. with the way the cherry switches are mounted, didint even think of water getting to the pcp. and ive watched the cherry factory tour so i knew these things could take some abuse

but corsair thought it would be a good idea to have an oppening in the keyboard under the space bar that goes to the inside of the keyboard. 

cleaned up the water before noticing this hole, plugged it back in. Working fine.. then the control key would hang, then some keys became unresponsive, and then the leds turned off...

shes dead

shook out all the water and left it to dry for the past few hours, no signs of hope. fingers crossed for a replacement or something but im pretty sure warranty wont cover water damage

rip March 14 2015 - July 15 2015 <3

4690k | Asus Maximus vii hero | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb 2133mhz | EVGA GTX 780ti Reference | 120gb intel 530 ssd | 1tb WD black | 1tb WD Green | EVGA 750G2 | Corsair Air 540 | G502 | G240 | BenQ XL2411Z | K70 RGB

Team Robbo - Rest In Peace

OnePlus One owner

Of course water got spilled all over my keyboard, unplugged it, noticed there was a fair bit but wasnt too worried because it was only water so it wasnt going to make anything sticky. with the way the cherry switches are mounted, didint even think of water getting to the pcp. and ive watched the cherry factory tour so i knew these things could take some abuse

but corsair thought it would be a good idea to have an oppening in the keyboard under the space bar that goes to the inside of the keyboard. 

cleaned up the water before noticing this hole, plugged it back in. Working fine.. then the control key would hang, then some keys became unresponsive, and then the leds turned off...

shes dead

shook out all the water and left it to dry for the past few hours, no signs of hope. fingers crossed for a replacement or something but im pretty sure warranty wont cover water damage

dude that sucks... can we have a moment of silence plz...

Usually you dry your keyboard completely before plugging it back in.

wasnt aware of the hole that led to the inside of the keyboard, so i thought cleaning up the water on the face of it and just under the keys was all there was

4690k | Asus Maximus vii hero | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb 2133mhz | EVGA GTX 780ti Reference | 120gb intel 530 ssd | 1tb WD black | 1tb WD Green | EVGA 750G2 | Corsair Air 540 | G502 | G240 | BenQ XL2411Z | K70 RGB

OnePlus One owner

shes dead

Usually you dry your keyboard completely before plugging it back in.

Yeah with water you need to make sure its completely dry before plugging back in.

For future reference, try opening it up and putting it in front of a fan for a day or two. If the PCB is accessible wipe the corroded areas with isopropyl alcohol and dry any wet areas before attempting to use again.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

wasnt aware of the hole that led to the inside of the keyboard, so i thought cleaning up the water on the face of it and just under the keys was all there was

Doesn't matter if you're aware of the hole or not, you're supposed to disassemble the object anyways and toss it in a bag or bin of rice to make sure it's try because water can go through cracks you don't even know are there. :mellow:

Doesn't matter if you're aware of the hole or not, you're supposed to disassemble the object anyways and toss it in a bag or bin of rice to make sure it's try because water can go through cracks you don't even know are there. :mellow:

im not saying that thats not what i should have done, just simply explaining my thought process as somone whos never actually killed components / tech before

not my favorite way to learn, but shit happens

OnePlus One owner

im not saying that thats not what i should have done, just simply explaining my thought process as somone whos never actually killed components / tech before

not my favorite way to learn, but shit happens

Now you know :(

If you noticed water leaked into the interior of your keyboard, and still plugged it in and turned it on, you're stupid.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

If you noticed water leaked into the interior of your keyboard, and still plugged it in and turned it on, you're stupid.

You're very motivating :)

Currently roaming the forums in boredom

I like mice and keyboards and the sort

Formerly TheFlurryGames

Yeah i still don't understand why they have a huge gaping hole at the bottom of the space bar... literally the whole keyboard seems pretty sealed everywhere except that... smh

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

Yeah i still don't understand why they have a huge gaping hole at the bottom of the space bar... literally the whole keyboard seems pretty sealed everywhere except that... smh

thats why i wasnt too worried about it at first, thought it was just under the keys and not /in/ the keyboard

OnePlus One owner

Get that sucker bone dry. Like days to dry. Contact Corsair anyway to see if they can replace it. I hate seeing a keyboard that expensive get ruined, I feel sorry for you, man.

plugged it in to see if shit was still the same from last night... but it flashed the stock red / white colours.. and the key strokes were being recognized.

At first it would constantly mash F11 without me doing anything, chrome was not happy going in and out of full screen. that stopped, started checking the keys, and every now and then it would do something like dshnfujdh randomly, but then that stopped. went through colours of the leds, and certain ones would mess up randomly, if i set everything to white, a few would go yellow... all green, a few (but different keys from before) would go blue.... cycled through colours a bit until they all worked..

Its been around 30c here the past few days, i guess this is one time that im happy for the heat.

OnePlus One owner

maybe you can salvage the keycaps and sell them

I just got my K70 yesterday and this makes me hurt

just noticed the hole under the spacebar

thanks for telling us, I'll know what to do if ever I spill water on my keyboard (never happened to me before though)

PRAISE THE LORD!

Edit: Keep letting it dry, and once it's done drying clean it thouroughly.

PRAISE THE LORD!

HJ9DU.jpg

OnePlus One owner

HJ9DU.jpg

You must now sacrifice your wallet to GabeN in return for saving your wonderful keyboard.