What power supply will I need for 2 R9 290's?

Alexb123

I am able to pick up an R9 290 for £180 which is a really good deal so i might end up getting 2. I was just wondering which power supply I will need as these cards consume lots of power. Would a quality 850w psu be enough?

I am able to pick up an R9 290 for £180 which is a really good deal so i might end up getting 2. I was just wondering which power supply I will need for this as these cards as they consume lots of power. Would a quality 850w psu be enough?

at least 750w or 800w

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

This cards can get above 300 watts each so that will leave 250 w for the rest of your system: not unreasonable as long as you don't have a very hungry processor and/or you're not planning to overclock anything.

If you do plan to overclock, then go for a 1000w unit instead.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Something like a EVGA Supernova 750w/850w G2 should be perfect.

(I cant decide and neither can this forum apparently).

I had a 750W running two and a 8350 before/

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

At least a 800w, but that depends on the rest of the system ( you could go for a 750w, but that would be running it at close to max 24/7 )

counting 600w for both 290's.

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

At least a 800w, but that depends on the rest of the system ( you could go for a 750w, but that would be running it at close to max 24/7 )

counting 600w for both 290's.

my 750 watt never even got warm during full load. my i5 2500 must have hardly been a burden on it.

PSU wattage is always overestimated. When you compare the theoretical amount the system needs with what it actually uses it's always a lot less. I personally have an 850W because it has way more than i need which means that is doesn't run at full capacity and therefore doesn't get as hot, or as laud but considering you're going to be running two 290's noise probably isn't as big a problem. 750W is fine and anything above that is just bonus so that it isn't as demanding for it :)

If you plan to run it a lot and keep the computer for a few years, I would invest in a 1000W PSU, I don't see any reason to save $25-$30 and be right on the edge of your PSU cababilities and risk failure. Strictly speaking, a 750W PSU would run them, and an 850W PSU might be okay long term, but I wouldn't feel comfortable. Just make sure whatever you get is a good quality unit. If a GPU dies you might need to replace the GPU, but if a PSU dies you might need to replace everything in extreme cases.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Yes, go with that one. The EVGA B2 is a very solid unit for the money.

The 850B2 is a better choice then the 750G2 in this case. With the G2 all you gain is more efficiency, full modularity, and hybrid fan mode. 290s do use a lot of power so it's worth giving those up for the extra power handling, not to mention that the B2 is cheaper if those features aren't a necessity. The B2 is still a very solid Super Flower made unit.

"Rawr XD"

Yes, go with that one. The EVGA B2 is a very solid unit for the money.

The 850B2 is a better choice then the 750G2 in this case. With the G2 all you gain is more efficiency, full modularity, and hybrid fan mode. 290s do use a lot of power so it's worth giving those up for the extra power handling, not to mention that the B2 is cheaper if those features aren't a necessity. The B2 is still a very solid Super Flower made unit.

If I remember what you said at strm's PSU thread, you were against the B2.

If I remember what you said at strm's PSU thread, you were against the B2.

When was I against the B2?

I was against the B1, which were either rippletastic HEC units (500/600) or poorly regulated FSP units (650/750).

"Rawr XD"