Help with a Gaming Build

I've been building PC's for a bit. Have a few successful builds under my belt. I have only built using AMD cpu/motherboards so far and am looking at building my first Intel build. I am not sure if I should spend the moderatly extra money on the Intel system or stick with a higher end AMD build.

I really enjoy my current system, it performs pretty damn good IMHO, but I'd like a bit more while playing games.

Currently I'm running:

AMD A10 7700K with an Arctic Freezer A11 cooler

Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Motherboard

Kingston HyperX Savage 2400MHz (16GB)

Kingston V300 SSD (240GB)

Corsair CX 750M

HGST 7200rpm (1TB)

XFX Radeon R9 270X

Thermaltake Core V1 Case (200mm front  and 2x 80mm Arctic F8 fans at back.

The new build, I would like to continue with the Matx or Mitx size/Smallish form factor.

I won't be upgrading the GPU with this build, but eventually will.

Currently running this setup on an HP ENVY32.

What I'm currently looking at is:

Intel i5 4690k

ASUS Micro ATX LGA 1150 Z97M-Plus

Kingston 240GB V300 SSD (boot)

WD Black 1TB (storage)

Rosewill LINE-M Micro-ATX case

Possibly looking at going AMD FX but my figures, for similar parts, I'm only looking at 50-100 total difference for parts, Intel being the more expensive route.

I'll be re-using the memory from my current build.

Looking for some insight on which way to go...

Let me hear it! I'm leaning toward the Intel build.

Thanks!

i5 4690K.

(If you want to spend less, go for the i5 4460)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The 4690k is much better use of your money. You won't regret it in the future

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i5 4690K for sure, I've been wanting to get off of my 8350 for ages, just never had the money.

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

AMD for a cheap upgrade path or Intel for a significant upgrade, depends how much you want to spend?

I've been building PC's for a bit. Have a few successful builds under my belt. I have only built using AMD cpu/motherboards so far and am looking at building my first Intel build. I am not sure if I should spend the moderatly extra money on the Intel system or stick with a higher end AMD build.

I really enjoy my current system, it performs pretty damn good IMHO, but I'd like a bit more while playing games.

Currently I'm running:

AMD A10 7700K with an Arctic Freezer A11 cooler

Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Motherboard

Kingston HyperX Savage 2400MHz (16GB)

Kingston V300 SSD (240GB)

Corsair CX 750M

HGST 7200rpm (1TB)

XFX Radeon R9 270X

Thermaltake Core V1 Case (200mm front  and 2x 80mm Arctic F8 fans at back.

The new build, I would like to continue with the Matx or Mitx size/Smallish form factor.

I won't be upgrading the GPU with this build, but eventually will.

Currently running this setup on an HP ENVY32.

What I'm currently looking at is:

Intel i5 4690k

ASUS Micro ATX LGA 1150 Z97M-Plus

Kingston 240GB V300 SSD (boot)

WD Black 1TB (storage)

Rosewill LINE-M Micro-ATX case

Possibly looking at going AMD FX but my figures, for similar parts, I'm only looking at 50-100 total difference for parts, Intel being the more expensive route.

I'll be re-using the memory from my current build.

Looking for some insight on which way to go...

Let me hear it! I'm leaning toward the Intel build.

Thanks!

i5.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

rendering 8350

gaming 4690k

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

4690k is much better

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Seriously. Why is this asked so much? Google will give you an instant answer. Do not go with AMD CPUs. I'll even add it to my signature if I have too in big bold letters.

GYHNaTr.gif

OT: go for the i5.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Get the 4690k if you're going to game

Taran should run for president!

Seriously. Why is this asked so much? Google will give you an instant answer. Do not go with AMD CPUs. I'll even add it to my signature if I have too in big bold letters.

OMG I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE CAN I USE IT ???

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Saying not to go for AMD for CPUs at all is really not good advice. It will depend on what the build is being used for, as well as the budget. For a gaming system, sure, Intel is the best way to go in pretty much all cases, but for a budget editing, rendering or other workstation build, AMD's CPUs can offer better performance for the price. 

Saying not to go for AMD for CPUs at all is really not good advice. It will depend on what the build is being used for, as well as the budget. For a gaming system, sure, Intel is the best way to go in pretty much all cases, but for a budget editing, rendering or other workstation build, AMD's CPUs can offer better performance for the price. 

This.

If you're on a tight budget and need a workstation it is a much safer bet to go AMD, however, in the long term Intel is a more expensive but more powerful option.

This.

If you're on a tight budget and need a workstation it is a much safer bet to go AMD, however, in the long term Intel is a more expensive but more powerful option.

The 8350 really is just 4 cores split in half, you do know that is even worse than 4 strong cores since most applications can make use of fewer cores a lot more efficiently?

blackshades on

The 8350 really is just 4 cores split in half, you do know that is even worse than 4 strong cores since most applications can make use of fewer cores a lot more efficiently?

The bias is strong with this one.

The cores are joined and share resources, they're not "split in half" as you claim. There are a large amount of 3D and video applications that benefit from just having more cores.

You need to change your signature to smaller text. If you don't a mod will. One of them did it to me, and it was only a little over the max.

The bias is strong with this one.

The cores are joined and share resources, they're not "split in half" as you claim. There are a large amount of 3D and video applications that benefit from just having more cores.

4 logical cores, 4 "virtual" cores. There is a lot of bias but they do share the same resources which is also bad since the resources provided, L2 cache most notably is only enough for 4 cores. I do run an 8320 in my main rig.

blackshades on

OMG I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE CAN I USE IT ???

No, no you may not. At least not in that font size. As our lord and savior Slick once spoke

in the Book of the Code of Conduct (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/95599-linus-tech-tips-forum-code-of-conduct/):

5. Signatures & Profiles

Signature information must adhere to these guidelines:

• No signature will exceed 3 lines in length on a 1080p screen.
  • No signature will ask for reputation, likes, stars or any such ego-enhancing things.
  • No signature shall have an image.
  • No signature shall be animated in any way, avatars are allowed to be animated for now. Avatars must not contain any rapid and sharp color changes (flashing, blinking, etc.) as these can cause epileptic seizures.
  • Do not manually type in a signature or sign-off at the end of every post; signatures are only allowed using the built-in signature function.
  • Do not increase font size beyond size 14.
  • Signatures are text only
The only links allowed, in your signature or status updates, are those pertaining to Linus Tech Tips (the CoC, your build log, etc.). Please note the advertising rules still apply to this. This includes listing twitch, YouTube, etc.

I have edited the sig font size down to 14 again. :)

EDIT: Also, please don't turn this thread into another AMD-Intel flamewar. Debating

is fine, just please keep it polite and respectful. Thanks.

Edited by alpenwasser

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

4 logical cores, 4 "virtual" cores. There is a lot of bias but they do share the same resources which is also bad since the resources provided, L2 cache most notably is only enough for 4 cores.

What? It has 4 modules with each module consisting of 2 cores sharing resources, it's unconventional and not that efficient but when you need more cores for say 3DS Max or Media Encoder it's going to serve you well. Where are you getting the metric that the 2mb of L2 cache is insufficient for the modules?

The 8350 has 8mb of L2 cache across 4 modules, that's 2mb per module of 1mb per core. The 4670k has 6mb of l2 cache across 4 cores, which is 1.5mb of cache per core.

But you have to remember that these are modules and not cores and you can't point at a number, especially cache, and say "That one is bad."

Source 

Because y'know you need to look stuff up before you start shouting stuff online.

What? It has 4 modules with each module consisting of 2 cores sharing resources, it's unconventional and not that efficient but when you need more cores for say 3DS Max or Media Encoder it's going to serve you well. Where are you getting the metric that the 2mb of L2 cache is insufficient for the modules?

The 8350 has 8mb of L2 cache across 4 modules, that's 2mb per module of 1mb per core. The 4670k has 6mb of l2 cache across 4 cores, which is 1.5mb of cache per core.

But you have to remember that these are modules and not cores and you can't point at a number, especially cache, and say "That one is bad."

Source 

Because y'know you need to look stuff up before you start shouting stuff online.

I remember reading and watching a video about why the 8350 is an aweful choice a while back when it launched. It listed a couple things that had to do with cache size and the virtual cores which were considered "fake" hence the "virtual" quote. Marketing tactic. Nearly impossible to actually use all 8 cores efficiently without issues. That's all I remember.

blackshades on

rendering 8350

gaming 4690k

Actually in rendering the i5 beats it out but encoding the 8350 wins

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

I remember reading and watching a video about why the 8350 is an aweful choice a while back when it launched. It listed a couple things that had to do with cache size and the virtual cores which were considered "fake" hence the "virtual" quote. Marketing tactic. Nearly impossible to actually use all 8 cores efficiently without issues. That's all I remember.

Sources!? You can't just say stuff, claim you heard it and then pass it off as truth ESPECIALLY in this situation! 

OP is asking for help and more accurately, facts.

Adobe CS6 Benchmarks

3D Applications

General Benchmarks and Price to Performance

There you go @nhedgpeth flick through those and see if it's worth side-grading or going full platform swap!