Why choose U3415w/34UM97-S over Samsung S34E790C?

Spags1213

I realize that the LG paneled Dell and 97-S can be had for slightly less, however, all reviews I've read about the Samsung are glowing to say the least.

The Samsung has:

- 3000:1 Contrast Ratio

- All around darker blacks and great color reproduction

- A tested average of 7.1 ms response time (LG panel is equivalent at best)

- Great all around view angles, uniformity is on par or better than the LG panel

- No observed backlight bleed in review panels (LG has widely reported orangish BLB)

- Is VA instead of IPS

Now I can understand that IPS generally has the best color reproduction and accuracy among the major panel technologies (IPS, TN, VA), but the reviews say that color is great on these monitors.

Now the reason I ask is because I did a search on past discussions regarding the Samsung panel and there seemed to be alot of people suggesting the LG panel over the Samsung. Is this because of price/preference/IPS/warranty? 

Please let me know.

FYI: I have no desire to purchase the x35 or 3800R panels, I won't be able to maintain anywhere near 100/144 fps with my setup and to me games don't look all that much better at 144hz. Not to mention that whenever these panels finally come out, the price WILL be higher than the 3 panels mentioned.

Thanks!

i7 4790k | EVGA 980 Ti SC+ | 16GB EVGA SuperSC 2400 | 480GB Mushkin Chronos |
1TB WD Blue | ASUS Z97 PRO-Wifi | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i | Corsair RM850
| Samsung S34E790C 34"

Here are my reasons for buying the Dell:

A) Stand

B) Warranty

C) Professional look

D) past history with Dell ultrasharps over the last 13 years.

What I didn't do was obsess over the specs. Response time is irrelevant, fancy/variable Hz is irrelevant for my use-- I wanted a 21:9 monitor that had excellent ergonomics, inputs, dead pixel warranty coverage, and beautiful color reproduction, which I could use for professional work and game on if/when I have spare time and nothing better to do.

That said, gaming is awesome on the thing.

Here are my reasons for buying the Dell:

A) Stand

B) Warranty

C) Professional look

D) past history with Dell ultrasharps over the last 13 years.

What I didn't do was obsess over the specs. Response time is irrelevant, fancy/variable Hz is irrelevant for my use-- I wanted a 21:9 monitor that had excellent ergonomics, inputs, dead pixel warranty coverage, and beautiful color reproduction, which I could use for professional work and game on if/when I have spare time and nothing better to do.

That said, gaming is awesome on the thing.

Thanks for the reply. Have you noticed any backlight bleed on your model? The last two monitors I received (XB270HU, XB280HK) had excessive bleed. Don't want to get another bleeder.

I don't mean to obsess over specs but at this price point, why wouldn't you? 

| Samsung S34E790C 34"

Thanks for the reply. Have you noticed any backlight bleed on your model? The last two monitors I received (XB270HU, XB280HK) had excessive bleed. Don't want to get another bleeder.

I don't mean to obsess over specs but at this price point, why wouldn't you? 

There was some bleed, but it doesn't bother me enough to deal with.

The reason I don't obsess over the minutiae of response times (for example) is because 1ms or 10ms has never made a difference to me. All modern displays are low enough response/lag to where it frankly isn't a concern. Similarly, contrast ratio number is meaningless if the display looks good to your eye (see: 10,000:1 vs 100,000,000:1 displays at big box retailers).

Why waste valuable time worrying about numbers on a spec sheet that you'll never notice (or care about) in real use?

For giggles-- a human blink takes ~ 100-400ms. For me, blinking is pretty imperceptible. The idea that anyone can notice the difference between a 1ms or 7ms monitor, and have it detrimentally affect their gaming performance, is laughable.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xr341ck.htm

You rather want this. The 75hz and the freesync for the same price... i think thats a clear choice.

Agreed, if you're going to be gaming primarily, and having varying refresh and an extra 15 Hz makes a noticeable difference to you, then probably worth it. For me it wasn't worth waiting for, but I'm also not the target market here.

Samsung's offering is more expensive than the other models with the LG IPS Panel. The stand on the Samsung one is horrible, from reviews, people are mentioning you can't push the monitor close to the wall, has to be leaned forward due to the angular shape at the bottom just like my samsung 24 inch panel. 

Agreed, if you're going to be gaming primarily, and having varying refresh and an extra 15 Hz makes a noticeable difference to you, then probably worth it. For me it wasn't worth waiting for, but I'm also not the target market here.

Samsung's offering is more expensive than the other models with the LG IPS Panel. The stand on the Samsung one is horrible, from reviews, people are mentioning you can't push the monitor close to the wall, has to be leaned forward due to the angular shape at the bottom just like my samsung 24 inch panel. 

Thanks for the replies guys. I went to my local microcenter to look at monitors today. They had the U3415w and 34UM95-P panels on display but they were both sold out. The Dell was actually overpriced at $1200. They had the 34UM95 on sale for $800! Would have scooped that up if they weren't all out. They had 3 S34E790C panels in stock. After going back and forth between the LG 34UC97-S and Samsung, I pulled the trigger on the Samsung for $1100.

Let me be the first to say, this monitor is AMAZING! There is very little backlight bleed, if at all, and the stand is nice and strong. Not to mention ultra adjustable. However, the first panel I got had about a thumb-sized smudge/depression in the lower lefthand quadrant of the screen. I took the panel back and they gave me a replacement, no questions asked!

For anyone wondering about this panel, VA does an excellent job at providing accurate colors and while some settings may over-saturate images, the color options do an excellent job remedying any discrepancies. Black levels are superb and gaming is pretty surreal.

If anyone has anything else they'd like to know, feel free to ask.

| Samsung S34E790C 34"

• 2 weeks later...

I was having a hard time trying to figure out which monitor I wanted to go with. My two choices were the LG and then the Samsung. I also thought about running twin 27" Ben Q monitors but I wasn't exactly sure on their quality, history etc.

I ended up pulling the trigger and buying the Samsung s34e790c. I have plenty of desk space and no wall to compete with. Being that I mainly edit photos I liked the idea of the better blacks and slightly better contrast. The Samsung also came in about $50 cheaper but when you're talking about a $1,000 monitor, that shouldn't really lean you one way or the other imo.

I'd really be interested in seeing the Samsung and LG on top of each other to get a true sense of which I think is better, but in the end, I don't think there is really a "wrong" choice to be made. Both are exceptional and I think both will bring the "wow factor" to any desk.

Hoping to receive the monitor next week so I can't wait to unbox it and put it to work.