does g-sync make lower fps smoother

Khamiri

im trying to think if i really need a secand GTX 980ti G1 cause i know that theres no way that 1 GTX 980ti G1, i7-4790k can handle witcher 3 in a steady 60fps with max settings, 1440p, aa, hairworks everything!(incuding blurs) and have it run at a steady fps its bound to drop to 45+ fps 

and its going to take a long! time till i can afford a 2nd GTX 980ti G1 card 

in this time i can afford only 1 GTX 980ti G1 with the Asus ROG SWIFT monitor that has 1ms, 144hz, 1440p and G-sync

so will G-sync save me at this point? will it prevent witcher 3 dropping 60 fps? cause i cannot handle 40fps and i have heard that G-sync will allow 45+ fps feel like its 60fps?

is this true?

yes, thats the entire point of variable refresh rate

make it look smoother when youre below the max refresh rate

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What G-Sync does is makes the display sync with the GPU. I cannot vouch for the claim that 45FPS feels like 60FPS as I've never used a G-Sync panel before, but it does create a 1:1 ratio between the GPU and the display(to a degree. There are ranges that both G-Sync and FreeSync work within).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It will not prevent it from dropping below 60, but it will make the drops much less noticeable. I find that drops to around 45-50FPS are pretty much unnoticeable. It makes playing at below 60 much nicer. 

G-sync does nothing to your fps it only stops tearing.

It does more than stop tearing. It doesn't affect FPS, but it does make lower FPS seem smoother. 

G-sync does nothing to your fps it only stops tearing.

I dont think you understood his question.

He asked if gsync will make 45 fps look smooth like 60 does

the answer is yes

its not 60, but its way more playable than 45 fps without variable refresh rates

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

30 looks the same, 60 looks the same. Everything in between and above looks better because no tearing and 1:1 frame times to monitor refreshes.

im trying to think if i really need a secand GTX 980ti G1 cause i know that theres no way that 1 GTX 980ti G1, i7-4790k can handle witcher 3 in a steady 60fps with max settings, 1440p, aa, hairworks everything!(incuding blurs) and have it run at a steady fps its bound to drop to 45+ fps 

and its going to take a long! time till i can afford a 2nd GTX 980ti G1 card 

in this time i can afford only 1 GTX 980ti G1 with the Asus ROG SWIFT monitor that has 1ms, 144hz, 1440p and G-sync

so will G-sync save me at this point? will it prevent witcher 3 dropping 60 fps? cause i cannot handle 40fps and i have heard that G-sync will allow 45+ fps feel like its 60fps?

is this true?

well atleast close 

it gets steady 60 fps with hairworks off so little under 60 fps

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

So it does nothing to FPS like I said.

No. You said it only stops tearing, which is not true. VSync only stops tearing, but GSync is different. 

I wasn't disputing that it doesn't affect FPS, but was disputing that it ONLY stops tearing. 

Having spent almost 20 hours the last few days playing dark souls at 45fps, it does make 45 look about as smooth as 60 on a 60hz display. For me at least, different susceptibility to frame rates per person and all that.

Going back and forth between unlocking the framerate to 45 and back to the original 30, 30 still looks quite stuttery, but at 45 I've not noticed any stuttering. So for me 45 is very acceptible to play at, at least with a controller. I have some doubts about games I'd be playing with KB+M but none that I've been playing recently are locked under 60 so I haven't' actually tried.

This is all from the perspective of smooth motion between frames, and with a controller. It doesn't make 45 look as clear as 60 so if thats an issue for you gsync might not help as much.