How do I start out in Tech Reviews on YouTube?

Go to solution Solved by elecxonica,

With great difficulty.

First things first, remove any preconceived notions of being able to do it as a job. Do it because you enjoy it, not because you think it can be a job.

Second, learn and practice how to present. You need to sound interested and engaging, people won't listen to you waffle on about whatever it is you're talking about if you don't sound the least bit interested. Additionally, you don't have to be perfect, if you mess up a line, either continue forwards (if it's something small) or start the line again and cut it out (if it's something large or you pause for a bit)

Third, you mentioned a owning a blue yeti. Use it. It's simple enough to sync up your mic with your camera if you clap, and your videos will sound much better

Fourth, if you have access to some lighting, light your set or shots decently. Even a desk lamp will look better then the limited amount of light you may get otherwise (although this is one of the things that may not be too important)

Fifth, even if it is just movie maker, learn the features of your editing software. Knowing all you can get out of it is rather useful. At the same time, also know what features not to use, like auto lighting or most transitions

Sixth, if you want to use music, get royalty free music. It may take a while to find some, but it's better then having your video deleted cause you had Gangnam style in the background.

And seventh, learn to take criticism and advice. A lot of people don't do this well (such as the people who want to get rid of the dislike button). If people give good useful advice, take it on board. If not, ignore them, or block them if they're too bad.

EDIT - And before I forget, don't try to suck up to companies and avoid critisising them in order to get review products. People will see right through that.

:) Hey guys! I've always wanted to get into tech reviews on YouTube, because I've been doing let's plays for about 3 years now... and let's be honest, that's boring. I want to do stuff like UnboxTherapy or Austin Evans or Linus, but how would I ever be able to afford that stuff? if I can't pay for the technology to review, I don't understand how to get started. I guess I can review my own personal Blue Yeti and technology... but how do I get big enough for companies to even want to send me their stuff? Thanks, and please try to help me if you know ANYTHING about YouTube tech reviews. :) Thanks, -Jordan :D

- By the way, I figured "Tech Reviews" was the best category to put this in. Please don't get mad.

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

You gotta spend some money in the beginning before company's just send you stuff. review some stuff you already have like your phone, tablet other stuff.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

You gotta spend some money in the beginning before company's just send you stuff. review some stuff you already have like your phone, tablet other stuff.

today i will be unboxing a potato. here i will film all the wrapping and bubble wrap. show the item for one second then bam!

today i will be unboxing a potato. here i will film all the wrapping and bubble wrap. show the item for one second then bam!

3rd video to get 1,000,000,000 views

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

Which was the second?

actually the 3rd 1st ganggam style, 2nd baby, 3rd darkhorse, 4th my soon to be potato unboxing. 

3rd video to get 1,000,000,000 views

Well, Potato Salad got crowdfunded for like $56,000, so it's entirely possible.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Which was the second?

actually blank space got 1,000,000,000 views a few hours ago

Before you start spending any money, know what makes the big ones big. They all have a personality. Regrettably, 90% of YouTubers lack any of it. Be humble with yourself, if you are just another let's play bro, save yourself a lot of money.

Just review random tech shit you already have, like parts of your pc if its custom, or your entire pc if its pre-built, your keyboard, monitor, chair, etc...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

DO A REVIEW ON A TURNIP!!!!!  #voteforturnip  

CPU - i5 4690k @ 4.0Ghz | MOBO - MSI Z97 Gaming 3 (MS-7918) | RAM - 16GB Patriot Memorys Viper 3 @1866MHz | GPU - MSI Reference GTX 980 TI

Case-Corsair Graphite Series 230T Mid-Tower | HDD - Western Digital Black 1TB (Will get a SDD later) | PSU - Corsair RM 850 Gold | Display-28" 4K Samsung U28D590D & BenQ RL2455HM|Cooling-CPU= Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX & GPU= Corsair Hydro Series H50 120mm|Keyboard/Mouse-Corsair K95/Corsair M65 | OS - Windows 8.1

With great difficulty.

First things first, remove any preconceived notions of being able to do it as a job. Do it because you enjoy it, not because you think it can be a job.

Second, learn and practice how to present. You need to sound interested and engaging, people won't listen to you waffle on about whatever it is you're talking about if you don't sound the least bit interested. Additionally, you don't have to be perfect, if you mess up a line, either continue forwards (if it's something small) or start the line again and cut it out (if it's something large or you pause for a bit)

Third, you mentioned a owning a blue yeti. Use it. It's simple enough to sync up your mic with your camera if you clap, and your videos will sound much better

Fourth, if you have access to some lighting, light your set or shots decently. Even a desk lamp will look better then the limited amount of light you may get otherwise (although this is one of the things that may not be too important)

Fifth, even if it is just movie maker, learn the features of your editing software. Knowing all you can get out of it is rather useful. At the same time, also know what features not to use, like auto lighting or most transitions

Sixth, if you want to use music, get royalty free music. It may take a while to find some, but it's better then having your video deleted cause you had Gangnam style in the background.

And seventh, learn to take criticism and advice. A lot of people don't do this well (such as the people who want to get rid of the dislike button). If people give good useful advice, take it on board. If not, ignore them, or block them if they're too bad.

EDIT - And before I forget, don't try to suck up to companies and avoid critisising them in order to get review products. People will see right through that.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

actually the 3rd 1st ganggam style, 2nd baby, 3rd darkhorse, 4th my soon to be potato unboxing. 

Kind of a tangent, but damn that's a really cool music video. Terrible (mildly catchy) song though...

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Do a bunch of benchmarks of your PC or something :P

(A guy named FPSkillerPC on YouTube got 2,000 subs within 3 months or more I believe just by doing benchmarks with his PC)

Then, you can expand your channel later on to do tech reviews and unboxings and all that other crap.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Kind of a tangent, but damn that's a really cool music video. Terrible (mildly catchy) song though...

cause i'm coming at you like a dark horse da da da da all I remember 

Ask yourself why do people watch certain YouTubers? Being successful on YouTube is 90% personality. That's true for pretty much any audience-based media.

People need to be engaged when they watch your videos. I love watching MMKBHD and Unbox Therapy simply because Marques and Lew are fun to watch. Half the time I don't even give a crap about what they're reviewing, I just like to listen to/watch them.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

With great difficulty.

Thank you. I've been using a Logitech c920 webcam for a couple months now, as well as my Yeti for a microphone. I've been recording with OBS and using Windows Movie Maker, so I'll take you're advice and do that kind of stuff. I'll probably start out with reviewing a potato. Because apparently that's what other people said to do... so... gosh...

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

Do a bunch of benchmarks of your PC or something :P

(A guy named FPSkillerPC on YouTube got 2,000 subs within 3 months or more I believe just by doing benchmarks with his PC)

Then, you can expand your channel later on to do tech reviews and unboxings and all that other crap.

Agreed. This would probably be one of the cheaper and more faster ways to build a community.

When a new game comes out there are gonna be a lot of people searching for benchmarks. Try to be one of the first and you are bound to at least get some views and maybe some subscribers if you do a good enough job of it.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Thank you. I've been using a Logitech c920 webcam for a couple months now, as well as my Yeti for a microphone. I've been recording with OBS and using Windows Movie Maker, so I'll take you're advice and do that kind of stuff. I'll probably start out with reviewing a potato. Because apparently that's what other people said to do... so... gosh...

You're welcome. Another thing that's not too bad to remember is this has the potential to maybe not get you a job independently, but it may help you potentially get a job at somewhere like Techno buffalo, Linus Tech Tips or some other larger tech journalism/review company.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound young. So I'm gonna write this with the scenario that you are probably around high school age.

Being young can be a disadvantage in many ways if you are trying to become a legitimate reviewer for new hardware, etc. You have to balance being relevant, with some personal charm, and facts. But not so many facts that you bore your viewers. And it's hard to get taken seriously by the companies you might try to contact.

Then there's the time commitment. You have to write the review (script for what you will say), you have to film it, and then edit it. So there's some investments there in terms of camera and editing software. 

You said you've done Let's Play for years so I'll assume you've got good flow and comfort in that area. That's what I might try to structure by channel around. I enjoy watching Jayztwocents videos where he benchmarks something while he plays a game and talks about the product. It kind of combines what you're already doing but with an actual review.

And don't try to lock down on one thing just yet. Do a review of a game you've been playing. Do a review of the chair you're using if it's at all interesting. Talk about whether it's comfortable for long stretches of gaming. Review your microphone. Talk about its pros and cons in terms of positioning when you play a game. Obviously you can review a GPU just like Jayztwocents does.

BUT. And there is a big but here.

You have to bring something unique to get the viewers. You can't be exactly like Jayztwocents, because he already exists. Or Linus. Or Austin Evans. Etc.

Watch the videos from reviewers you like and try to find out what you feel is missing or what could have been done better. Then do that. Or something that might appeal to those who aren't interested in their videos for some reason. Find your niche.

Edit: inb4 JordanTechTips becomes bigger than LTT.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

Agreed. This would probably be one of the cheaper and more faster ways to build a community.

When a new game comes out there are gonna be a lot of people searching for benchmarks. Try to be one of the first and you are bound to at least get some views and maybe some subscribers if you do a good enough job of it.

Okay. Thanks. I have a GTX 970, and I can't find any games that there aren't benches for though

Okay. Thanks. I have a GTX 970, and I can't find any games that there aren't benches for though

You have to wait for new games to come out. For instance if Witcher was about to come out tomorrow try to be one of the first people to benchmark it and post it on youtube.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

You have to wait for new games to come out. For instance if Witcher was about to come out tomorrow try to be one of the first people to benchmark it and post it on youtube.

Yeah. I'll definately jump on Fallout 4, but how to I find benchmarking software for a game that just came out? Do I have to run fraps in the background and average my framerate while I play?

i would say just grab hold of something you currently own and review it, if you ahve stuff you used for a while you can put that in the review, helps people when they wanna know how something is after a certin amount of time.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.