Why are movies filmed at 24 fps?

FineVisionz

Because it was cheaper to produce than higher frame rate films back in the 1920's, while still producing the illusion of movement from still images. It stuck.

I think the question "why are movies still filmed at 24fps" is more relevant.

for the "Cinematic feeling"

How does it give it a "Cinematic feeling" if the footage would be playing at such low frames that I would think cause a "Lagy" feeling.

Yes!  I would think movie producers would want to produce movies in 60fps.

How does it give it a "Cinematic feeling" if the footage would be playing at such low frames that I would think cause a "Lagy" feeling.

because back in the olden times people didn't have FPS they had eyes

(tbh idk how to answer your question lol)

That's actually not why, but rather what we associate it with.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

People don't really like 48fps or else we would film in that.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'm pretty sure 24 fps was the result of a limitation in technology.  

Its good to keep in mind that movies are very different than video games.  Just because 60fps is superior in a game doesn't mean that a 60fps video is better than a 30 or 24 fps in every aspect.

the human eye cant see over 24 fps. thats why i think console gaming is also better. huehuehuehue

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

PM0aaRL_700wa_0.gif

COMMENT WIN

I love this so much

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

It was a limitation of early stuff and we've become so used to it that 48FPS stuff looks bad / weird (not to me and quite of my friends mind you) but if we were to get used to higher frame rates then I imagine 24FPS would look bad.

I haven't fact checked but it sounds reasonable.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Because people don't expect more. It's normal. The Hobbit looked weird at 60FPS. Good to PC gamers, but weird to all else.

IMO, it gives a really uncanny valley feeling to see a human on screen up close at 48 FPS. Unless there are fast moving things on the screen it doesn't make much of a difference otherwise.

Some do, I think I remember reading that James Cameron wanted 60fps for the next Avatar movies, and well the Hobbit was shot at 48fps. Tbh, 24fps has been mastered by filmmakers, they play on it's strengths and minimise the weaknesses. Natural motion blur is used to great effect, to fool the eye into seeing smooth movement. That is what people are talking about when mentioning the "cinematic feel".

IMO, it gives a really uncanny valley feeling to see a human on screen up close at 48 FPS. Unless there are fast moving things on the screen it doesn't make much of a difference otherwise.

Just curious, what have you watched at 48fps? The Hobbit or something on TV?

Just for the record, I absolutely detest all "motion interpolation" effects on TVs, they all look like shit, they all produce fake looking movement (the soap opera effect). It sucks. A lot. People complained that the hobbit @ 48fps gave that same effect. Unfortunately I hate 3d so only watched it at 24fps, so can't make a call on that.

I have heard that the "cinematic feel" isn't necessarily lost at higher fps though, I think we just need a better showcase for 48fps or 60fps. And certainly please, no more crappy 3d.

There are some xD cinemas that project movies at 48fps, I remember having seen the hobbit 3 at that type of cinema

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Just curious, what have you watched at 48fps? The Hobbit or something on TV?

Just for the record, I absolutely detest all "motion interpolation" effects on TVs, they all look like shit, they all produce fake looking movement (the soap opera effect). It sucks. A lot. People complained that the hobbit @ 48fps gave that same effect. Unfortunately I hate 3d so only watched it at 24fps, so can't make a call on that.

I have heard that the "cinematic feel" isn't necessarily lost at higher fps though, I think we just need a better showcase for 48fps or 60fps. And certainly please, no more crappy 3d.

Because youtube has the 60 FPS option, I sometimes run into videos that film somone's face up close with a 48 FPS camera, and it's really unpleasant.

I've never seen anything at that refresh rate shot with a film studio quality camera, but I can imagine shots up close on peoples' faces would still bother me.

Because youtube has the 60 FPS option, I sometimes run into videos that film somone's face up close with a 48 FPS camera, and it's really unpleasant.

I've never seen anything at that refresh rate shot with a film studio quality camera, but I can imagine shots up close on peoples' faces would still bother me.

Hmm, I've never seen anything like that. Just the "smooth movement" that people complain about.

Some companies are starting to produce sports broadcasts at higher frame rates, it'll be interesting to see people's reaction to those. The smoother motion is certainly useful for those types of broadcasts.

Film was expensive in the early days, 24 was the minimum needed to achieve somewhat fluid motions, I guess people got used to 24FPS.

Unless I'm wrong.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.