Next Gen-Geforce GTX Cards

louisdegel

I want to upgrade my graphics card, and I dont know if i have to wait for the next gen GTX series or do I upgrade to an GTX 980ti (If i upgrade Ill going to use an X80/X80 ti - card)?

Thanks for your help ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7 9700k | RAM: 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | GPU: Asus GTX 1080 Strix | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB Pro | PSU: BeQuiet straight power e9 580W | MoBo: Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi | SSD: 1x 1tb 1x 500gb 1x 250gb

you dont have to wait...

it will be a while before the next series comes out

they havent even finished with the 900 cards yet

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I would buy a 980Ti, the next gen won't be released for a long time as they are still releasing 900 series cards 

No one has to wait for anything to upgrade. The issue is that if you're constantly waiting for new stuff to come out, you'll never enjoy any form of technology because something new will always come out replacing the product you bought.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Pascal will be Nvidias first attempt at a consumer HBM card. While they have had time to work on it, it will still be their first attempt.  Thus i have more faith in AMD this time. They launched the Fury X, and soon also the Fury and Nano. These cards all feature HBM, and thus AMD has more real life experience with the technology.

Currently your best options is either

2x R9 390 (better value then 2x 970 due to better CF scaling and looks cleaner with no SLI/CF Bridge)

or

1x 980 Ti

get a 980ti, it'll be a while for you to wait.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Does anyone have at least some sort of estimate for Pascal's arrival, based on NVidia's past record?

We dont know when pascal will drop. It could be september next year. even later if hbm2 is delayed AGAIN.  But if your waiting, AMD's 400 series should be out next year, so maybe consider that???? 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Does anyone have at least some sort of estimate for Pascal's arrival, based on NVidia's past record?

Sometime next year.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

you dont have to wait...

it will be a while before the next series comes out

they havent even finished with the 900 cards yet

and right after they release the other 9xx series cards and everyone is like the 9xx is beast i like, me want, they announce a new frigging GPU to upset the apple cart.

OP just get the best single GPU you can afford or like right now and join the club of having to change every so often.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

We dont know when pascal will drop. It could be september next year. even later if hbm2 is delayed AGAIN. But if your waiting, AMD's 400 series should be out next year, so maybe consider that????

We dont know when pascal will drop. It could be september next year. even later if hbm2 is delayed AGAIN. But if your waiting, AMD's 400 series should be out next year, so maybe consider that????

That would be quite a long wait, indeed, since they've just released the 300 series like a month ago. Waiting for the 400 series is almost certainly going to take a year. At least the 970 and 980 are half a year old...

No one has to wait for anything to upgrade. The issue is that if you're constantly waiting for new stuff to come out, you'll never enjoy any form of technology because something new will always come out replacing the product you bought.

Some upgrades last longer, that's the point I guess.

@louisdegel get a 970 or a 980ti, the next gen is supposed to be full of new technology never used before like HBM2. It is likely to be unstable at first. What you don't want to miss out though is directx12 so you should get a graphic card that is compatible with it. 

and right after they release the other 9xx series cards and everyone is like the 9xx is beast i like, me want, they announce a new frigging GPU to upset the apple cart.

OP just get the best single GPU you can afford or like right now and join the club of having to change every so often.

thats exactly how technology works...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Pascal will be Nvidias first attempt at a consumer HBM card. While they have had time to work on it, it will still be their first attempt.  Thus i have more faith in AMD this time. They launched the Fury X, and soon also the Fury and Nano. These cards all feature HBM, and thus AMD has more real life experience with the technology.

At the same time though, nVidia is skipping HBM Gen. 1 all together for Pascal, and going for Gen. 2 for even higher - much higher - bandwidth. I'm sure they would have done the research already by now for putting HBM in sooner but then thought it wasn't exactly worth it or needed (which IMO turned out to be true, since the Fury X doesn't perform as well as we all thought it would). 

okay :D which 980ti could you suggest one ?

CPU: Intel Core i7 9700k | RAM: 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | GPU: Asus GTX 1080 Strix | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB Pro | PSU: BeQuiet straight power e9 580W | MoBo: Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi | SSD: 1x 1tb 1x 500gb 1x 250gb

Nobody knows.

Historically, the closest thing to this (change in memory technology, architecture and the processing node) is the original Fermi, and that by itself bankrupted BFG and made XFX jump ship to AMD.

Then again, when you look at R&D budgets, the possibility of learning from past mistakes and all that, there is no way to tell who is going to win. We don't know what is happening behind the scenes either, maybe AMD has a head-start with HBM 2.0 due to them being involved with the technology.

And when you look at the nice profits the companies are making with 28nm wafer, particularly nVidia, I would not say that they are in any way eager to launch something new right now.

At the same time though, nVidia is skipping HBM Gen. 1 all together for Pascal, and going for Gen. 2 for even higher - much higher - bandwidth. I'm sure they would have done the research already by now for putting HBM in sooner but then thought it wasn't exactly worth it or needed (which IMO turned out to be true, since the Fury X doesn't perform as well as we all thought it would).

You are overlooking a small fact here. AMD and SK Hynix is the major money holders behind HBM. They are the ones to really invest hard into the development, and as thus. Nvidia more likely then not, were not allowed to use HBM1.0 most likely because AMD reserved the right to use it.

Given that AMD were directly involved in the development of HBM, which is a known fact, i have little faith in Nvidia knowing more about how it works then AMD. Sure, Nvidias engineers aint stupid. They see potential where there is some. But at this point, i am more inclined to believe that AMD already has HBM2.0 designs ready for production, most likely they are just waiting for better yields or production start.