Tools required to build a gaming PC?

wolfie11
Go to solution Solved by EllieThePurpleFuzzy,

Well, you could build a PC with just a normal good screwdriver. buuuut.

what i would reccommend issss

1 MAGNETIC good screwdriver, the amount of screws i've dropped into my PC case is too much :'D. maybe 2 of them for different size screws

2 Anti Static wrist strap

3 Well lit room and you'll maybe want a torch with it too.

4 something to store your screws in, like a cup or magnetic parts tray, along with other stuff

5 cleaning alcohol, incase you are putting on a cooler with pre applied thermal paste but you have your own (if it's better)

6 zip ties or velcro straps or twist ties (i can't spell xD), good for cable management

7 a cloth, if your hands get sweaty sometimes screwing stuff in gets hard as nuts (geddit? :D), specially one's for the case fans which require a bit of muscle compared to normal screws (unless they use normal screws for newer ones now)

8 maybe the case box for storing stuff like side panels in, also i notice linus reccommended using the motherboard box as a temporary test bench.

9 Spare PC or Laptop Or Tablet on hand, it's damn handy to have incase you get stuck at something, other than that it could provide some music while you do it.

10 Manual

optional

1 Band aid, ....Sometimes accidents happen, don't want your new PC to have blood on it if you have an accident....unless you want to enter brotherhood with it :D.

2 Pliers/Wrench, a screwdriver and hands should be fine for most things, might be handy with the front panel connectors.

3 Mastering martial arts, .... Front panel connectors >:C, So you can ethier learn patience required sometimes or you karate kick the thing out of the window

Yes, unless your doing some pretty intense modding/ Watercooling.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

are they always the same no matter what build?

Yes, unless you are doing a custom loop

Build: CPU: i7-4790k @4.4 GHz 1.2v | GPU: Sapphire R9 380 Nitro | Memory: 16GB Evga SSC | Storage: 250GB 850 Evo, 1 TB Toshiba HDD | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  | Cooling: Aigo T120 RGB | Case: NZXT S340 | PSU: Antec HCG 520w | OS: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70, Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Monitor: LG 27UD58-B | Headset: Audio-Technica M40x w/ Modmic and Bravo Audio V2 Tube Amplifier 

are they always the same no matter what build?

A Phillips screwdriver is all you really need...

Phillips head screwdriver and zip ties, zip ties EVERYWHERE! :)

It depends on your components. If you've got a multibit screwdriver, some time, some know-how and some extra thermal paste (if needed) you should be fine.

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 7 3700X, ASUS Dual RTX 3070 (+OC)

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz, ASRock X570 Pro4 

Not no matter what, like a custom watercooling build would req a few more tools aha

But all I needed for mine was a screwdriver with 1 head, literally everything else was provided with the parts :)

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

A basic screwdriver kit, anti static wristband, maybe pliers and isopropyl alcohol (not always needed but good to have)

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

A basic screwdriver kit, anti static wristband, maybe pliers and isopropyl alcohol (not always needed but good to have)

whats the alcohol for?

Forgot about anti static wristband, you'll want one of those two just to be safe, or an anti static mat or something, I also had a magnetic parts tray handy 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Forgot about anti static wristband, you'll want one of those two just to be safe, or an anti static mat or something, I also had a magnetic parts tray handy 

linus used the motherboard case as a mat lol

whats the alcohol for?

Cleaning thermal paste off of things.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

whats the alcohol for?

Removing thermal paste.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

whats the alcohol for?

Taking off old thermal paste... well, thermal paste in general.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

whats the alcohol for?

As people have already said its mainly for removing thermal paste. However its also a good thing to have handy for electronics in general. I have used it to also clean PCB and other electronics.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

linus used the motherboard case as a mat lol

That's a decent substitute if you don't have an anti-static mat.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

whats the alcohol for?

You drink it.

(To clean the CPU off before applying the paste.)

635687293026127169783566165_10-because-a

(Dont actually drink it, its harmful and not the same as ethanol)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Well, you could build a PC with just a normal good screwdriver. buuuut.

what i would reccommend issss

1 MAGNETIC good screwdriver, the amount of screws i've dropped into my PC case is too much :'D. maybe 2 of them for different size screws

2 Anti Static wrist strap

3 Well lit room and you'll maybe want a torch with it too.

4 something to store your screws in, like a cup or magnetic parts tray, along with other stuff

5 cleaning alcohol, incase you are putting on a cooler with pre applied thermal paste but you have your own (if it's better)

6 zip ties or velcro straps or twist ties (i can't spell xD), good for cable management

7 a cloth, if your hands get sweaty sometimes screwing stuff in gets hard as nuts (geddit? :D), specially one's for the case fans which require a bit of muscle compared to normal screws (unless they use normal screws for newer ones now)

8 maybe the case box for storing stuff like side panels in, also i notice linus reccommended using the motherboard box as a temporary test bench.

9 Spare PC or Laptop Or Tablet on hand, it's damn handy to have incase you get stuck at something, other than that it could provide some music while you do it.

10 Manual

optional

1 Band aid, ....Sometimes accidents happen, don't want your new PC to have blood on it if you have an accident....unless you want to enter brotherhood with it :D.

2 Pliers/Wrench, a screwdriver and hands should be fine for most things, might be handy with the front panel connectors.

3 Mastering martial arts, .... Front panel connectors >:C, So you can ethier learn patience required sometimes or you karate kick the thing out of the window

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

-sniperino-

There is always gonna be that one guy with long and good comment. Showoff :P

Good job!

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

All I need is:

1. a screwdriver (magnetic or not)

2. anti static wrist strap

3. zip ties

That's all I need.